Spaceship One - a partial sucess.

Old October 12th 04, 07:10 AM
Christopher M. Jones

Mike Walsh wrote:
I am not entirely certain how long it would take for Rand to
drop out of some of the conversations. I have usually been
the one who decides that it is time to quit.

I note that Henry Spencer doesn't spend any time arguing
issues. Of course, he usually discusses technical and
scientific things and is usually right. I doubt that he has
given away too many T-Shirts.

George Herbert is usually civil and concise, but I note that
he has dipped to the folly of carrying on a discussion with
Ed Wright for a protracted period of time.

For myself, I try not to repeat things over and over
again in a thread, unless I think there's a real need
to restate something in a different way for clarity.
At some point you just have to say "there's what I
said, there's what they said, people can read both
and make their own judgements" and move on. It's
always tempting to rephrase, butress arguments, and
especially get in that last word, but a lot of times
it's not worth it.
Old October 12th 04, 06:15 PM
Eric Chomko

Rand Simberg ) wrote:
: On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 15:23:12 GMT, in a place far, far away, "Greg D.
: Moore \(Strider\)" made the phosphor
: on my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

: Do you deliberately try to be rude, Rand, or is it a gift?
:
:
: I think in Rand's case it's a gift. :-)

: I may have a natural talent for it, but there are some people in this
: group that allow it to fully flower.

....in your case a weed.

Eric
Old October 12th 04, 07:48 PM
Dave O'Neill

"Mike Walsh" wrote in message

"Dave O'Neill" wrote in message
k...

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message

My point is that many in theCATS/Space Tourism crowd tends to point

every encouraging sign as a done deal. Some cynicism and pessimism

is
a Good Thing.

Some yes. But Derek, you've vaulted well past some and into a whole

new
territory.

It only appears so because I'm virtually the only one exhibiting those
traits to any degree at, except for maybe Dave O'Niell.

To be more accurate, we're the only ones who are bothering on
sci.space.policy. My views on this are hardly unique, and frankly, not

all
that controversial.

But most people here suffer from a pretty focused selection effect.

Dave

There seem to be a lack of people who are able to post their positions,
note the differences with people who respond, and then drop the issue
after expressing all of their points.

Yeah, Mea Culpa for that certainly.

I've been making a pretty serious effort not to bother with SSP anymore.
It's become practically impossible to have any kind of sensible discussion
in here anyway.

I have had a number of disagreements with Rand Simberg on a number
of issues, but there does come a time when everything seems to have
been said at least once or twice and it is time to move on.

I've not helped on this at all, there does come a time when it makes sense
to quit.

Dave

Old October 13th 04, 07:21 PM
Eric Chomko

Derek Lyons ) wrote:
: "Jeff Findley" wrote:

: You can still base a business model on a "vanishingly small minority".
: That's exactly what Virgin is going to be doing with SS2.

: Heres a clue for you:

: $200k+ for a trip that's a culmination of a life time of preparation
: and takes weeks/months to complete.

: &200k for a flight that's over in two hours, has no buildup, and no
: follow on.

Another way of putting it is, would Dennis Tito pay $200K to go back into
space now?

Eric

: D.
: --
: Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old October 14th 04, 09:35 PM
Mary Shafer

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 23:38:22 -0500, Phil Fraering pgf@AUTO wrote:

"Mike Walsh" writes:

Was Captain Limberg the person who developed
Limberger Cheese? : )

Mike, I thought about making a joke like that, but I removed the
post before I uploaded it. I didn't want to inflict horrors upon
the net.

I guess I've mellowed in my old age. Or thirties. Or whatever.

I was going to make a joke about cheddar getting sharper as it ages,
or something. I couldn't come up with a good one, though, so I
decided to spare the net the bad ones.

Mary