Dangers of Global Warming

Old November 7th 15, 03:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Dangers of Global Warming

On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 08:46:46 +0100, Paul Schlyter
wrote:

Do you think the Earth actually was flat many centuries ago just
because a clear majority of the people who lived back then believed
so?

Correctness cannot be determined by a majority vote.

I disagree. Because "correctness" has multiple meanings. What is TRUE
cannot be determined by majority vote. But there are things which are
not matters of fact, and which of those we call "correct" might well
be determined by some kind of popular opinion. And in my view, that
includes moral strictures and ethical codes.
Old November 7th 15, 04:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Saturday, November 7, 2015 at 7:46:50 AM UTC, Paul Schlyter wrote:
On Fri, 6 Nov 2015 07:08:53 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
wrote:
On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 8:23:01 AM UTC-7, Paul Schlyter

wrote:

You are confusing facts with opinions. Ethics choices can be
desirable or undesirable, but not right or wrong.

What do you mean by desirable or undesirable? Desirable or

undesirable by any
given individual, or desirable or undesirable in general?

The latter, "desirable in general", could be taken as equivalent to

"correct".

Do you think the Earth actually was flat many centuries ago just
because a clear majority of the people who lived back then believed
so?

Correctness cannot be determined by a majority vote.

Empiricists like this guy live on a nervous platform as not one of his kind knows what was behind Newton's language no more than he was comfortable with the genuine works of astronomy.

They can convince the wider world that they possess the language of astronomy but they are enemies of all astronomers hold dear and especially the perspectives which introduced the motions of the Earth in accounting for observations of the Sun and the other planets.

https://groups.google.com/?hl=en

The empirical creed doesn't recognize why the planets temporarily fall behind in view as they insert an alternative and meaningless attribution for the observed motions -

"For to the earth planetary motions appear sometimes direct, sometimes
stationary, nay, and sometimes retrograde. But from the sun they are
always seen direct,..." Newton

The empiricists terrify people with their meaningless equations yet they themselves can't appreciate the most basic astronomical innovations therefore they are not just enemies of astronomy but also human endeavor in astronomy and terrestrial science affairs.

In the genuine heart, astronomical insights are as light as a feather but the empiricists can't carry the burden of these easy to understand insights hence they pretend not to see the actual innovations using 21st century imaging.

Old November 7th 15, 04:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

wrote:

Do you think the Earth actually was flat many centuries ago just
because a clear majority of the people who lived back then believed
so?

Correctness cannot be determined by a majority vote.

I disagree. Because "correctness" has multiple meanings. What is TRUE
cannot be determined by majority vote.

Good, at least you are useful for something.

This is true as the planets temporarily fall behind in view as the faster Earth overtakes them -

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0112/JuSa2000_tezel.gif

This is false although a majority think it is -

"For to the earth planetary motions appear sometimes direct, sometimes
stationary, nay, and sometimes retrograde. But from the sun they are
always seen direct,..." Newton

Pretend not to see it but make no mistake, the days of talking up Newton and his agenda are over .
Old November 7th 15, 05:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 07:57:37 -0700, Chris L Peterson
wrote:
On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 08:42:29 +0100, Paul Schlyter
wrote:

Second of all, I'm not discussing what our society actually

believes
at this moment in time, but what I think a society ought to look
like...

Which means there should be an "absolute right" because Chris L
Peterson thinks so?
Perhaps we could call this the egotheistical worldview...

What Chris L Peterson thinks is that humans define rights, and that
"absolute right" isn't an unreasonable word for us humans to use to
represent the rights we place the most value on (rather like we

might
use "privilege" to define those of lesser value). I fail to see
anything remotely egotistical in this suggestion, unless you define
"egotistical" as "having an opinion".

Having an opinion is not the problem. The problem is the belief that
your opinion should decide such a bit matter.
Old November 7th 15, 05:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 18:17:55 +0100, Paul Schlyter
wrote:

Having an opinion is not the problem. The problem is the belief that
your opinion should decide such a bit matter.

Where have I suggested that? I simply seek to convince others that my
ideas are good, in the hope that things will swing that way. Are you
suggesting that you wouldn't want to see society shift in a way that
isn't more aligned with your own worldview? That people shouldn't
voice their opinions with the intent of changing the world?
Old November 7th 15, 06:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Saturday, November 7, 2015 at 7:16:28 AM UTC-7, Quadibloc wrote:
On Saturday, November 7, 2015 at 12:56:21 AM UTC-7, Paul Schlyter wrote:

The very first two words here, "We hold", clearly shows that the
authors of this text is expressing their opinion.

I hold that, as a consequence of the Sun's mass being significantly greater than
the mass of the Earth, the Solar System may be better approximated by considering
the Earth to revolve about the Sun than the reverse.

The authors of the text are expressing their common *belief*; whether it is
shared opinion, religious faith, or acceptance, mistaken or otherwise, of
perceived fact, is, in fact, left ambiguous by the construction quoted.

And, in fact, if one goes just a little *past* those first two words:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident"

word number 7 shows that whether it was opinion or deluded belief about fact...
if they were wrong, they were indeed seriously deluded. Because they did not
simply believe that people had certain rights; they believed that the alleged
fact that they had such rights *was so obvious that any reasonable person would
acknowledge it*.

If one claims that something is that obvious, clearly one *is* claiming that it
is fact, and not merely opinion.

John Savard
Old November 7th 15, 07:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Saturday, November 7, 2015 at 5:17:59 PM UTC, Paul Schlyter wrote:

" UT = Universal time. Defined by the Earth's rotation"

http://stjarnhimlen.se/comp/time.html

How many clowns like you can't manage to put the 24 hour system and the Lat/Long system within the 365/366 day framework.

That wreck of a career you have may entertain others who also know no better but it will always be incompetence. Get used to it.

Make sure you know what you are talking about as the technical and historical details are against you -

".. on account of the procession of the rising of Sirius by one day in the course of 4 years,.. therefore it shall be, that the year of 360 days and the 5 days added to their end, so one day shall be from this day after every 4 years added to the 5 epagomenae before the new year" Canopus Decree 238 BC

These people were both timekeepers and astronomers, your cult is merely full of imposters and voodoo merchants.
Old November 8th 15, 06:12 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

wrote:
Having an opinion is not the problem. The problem is the belief

that
your opinion should decide such a bit matter.

Where have I suggested that? I simply seek to convince others that

my
ideas are good, in the hope that things will swing that way. Are you
suggesting that you wouldn't want to see society shift in a way that
isn't more aligned with your own worldview? That people shouldn't
voice their opinions with the intent of changing the world?

Shouldn't the arrangement of society be formed from consensus rather
than from just ones own worldview? Shouldn't people be able not just
to speak for themselves but also to listen to others?
Old November 8th 15, 06:19 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Claiming something is a fact doesn't make it a fact. Presenting
supporting evidence is a much better way to establish a fact.

Belief in natural rights is like belief in god: many people are very
sure it exists, but nobody can present actual evidence for it.
Old November 8th 15, 02:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

wrote:

Where have I suggested that? I simply seek to convince others that

my
ideas are good, in the hope that things will swing that way. Are you
suggesting that you wouldn't want to see society shift in a way that
isn't more aligned with your own worldview? That people shouldn't
voice their opinions with the intent of changing the world?

Shouldn't the arrangement of society be formed from consensus rather
than from just ones own worldview? Shouldn't people be able not just
to speak for themselves but also to listen to others?

Certainly. But that won't work if no one is able to speak for himself or
herself. Therefore, why are you objecting to Chris L. Peterson speaking? (I
presume you are not, but you are instead intending to object to something else
which I fail to understand.)

I think there's some kind of misunderstanding going on here, as the two of you
appear to be on the same side of the argument in this thread.

John Savard

More Global Warming ... Hägar Misc 6 December 10th 13 07:54 PM
What global warming? Hagar Misc 0 April 4th 09 05:41 PM
dinosaur extinction/global cooling &human extinction/global warming 281979 Astronomy Misc 0 December 17th 06 12:05 PM
Solar warming v. Global warming Roger Steer Amateur Astronomy 11 October 20th 05 01:23 AM
Global warming v. Solar warming Roger Steer UK Astronomy 1 October 18th 05 10:58 AM