Delta 4 + SeaLaunch = Delta 5?

Old August 15th 03, 01:17 AM
Dholmes

Default Delta 4 + SeaLaunch = Delta 5?

"Colonel K" wrote in message
om...

"Dholmes" wrote in message
The solids on Delta are very underpowered. The ones on Atlas have over

twice
as much fuel.
Delta 2 uses up to 9 I can see no reason Delta 4 could not as well.
A pair of reusable solids about half the size of the shuttles for both

Atlas
and Delta could prove interesting.
The question is would it be cheaper.
Delta's main engine makes a killer second stage for a very large rocket.
Another option would be to use slightly shortened Deltas, 3 at launch

and
one as a second stage. but kerosene do seem to work best as a booster

stage.

Delta IV was not structurally designed to handle 9 solids, and can't be
refitted for more than 4 without major redesign. One "small" obstacle is

the
pair of T-0 umbilical panels that occupy the north side of the vehicle.
Boeing could probably show you some studies that indicate the market

didn't
require any more than 4 solids (I'm not saying they're correct, just that
they no doubt have them).

Thanks, I laways wondered why they stopped at 4.
Good news is that doers not stop them from using 2 large solids in a Delta
Heavy type set up.
Assuming that it would be cheaper.

Waste of a Delta 4 Heavy? ed kyle Technology 2 May 4th 04 01:35 AM
Successful European DELTA mission concludes with Soyuz landing Jacques van Oene Space Station 0 May 1st 04 12:25 PM
Next ISS flight named DELTA Jacques van Oene Space Station 0 November 6th 03 10:09 PM
Delta IV vs. Atlas V ed kyle Policy 51 August 24th 03 03:43 AM
Delta IV vs. Sea Launch Zenit ed kyle Policy 3 August 9th 03 12:52 AM