Hyperion's resemblence to a wasp nest

Old October 1st 05, 03:07 AM
Bob

Default Hyperion's resemblence to a wasp nest

Well vaguely it resembles a wasp next. The paper nests you sometimes
find under the eaves of the roof on your house. As if the craters were
places where a lot of volatiles outgassed, blasting deeper than normal
holes for craters. And if Hyperion does have empty voids inside, that
might mean that Hyperion took a large hit blasting off its outer layers
and heating up the insides to boil off some of the lower temperature
volitale materials. Must have been many gas jets and guysers squirting
gas into space at the same time just after that big collision that
Hyperion took to blast its outer layers off. Hot enough to release say
methane and ammonia but not water ice? These jets and guysers would
carve deep holes in Hyperion's surface, and loose solid material around
the craters would start to slump back into the holes once all the gas
is vented, maybe like sand in an hourglass (we see the top surface of
the "sand" in the upper chamber as it makes an inverted cone, as
craters)?. Some "sand" filling the inner voids below the surface
craters? And make it look a little like a wasp nest, with all the paper
chambers as the deep inverted cone shaped craters. Hyperion must have
looked like a big comet for a while....

Old October 1st 05, 05:24 PM
Monte Davis

"Bob" wrote:

Well vaguely it resembles a wasp next...

I'm struck by the bright, tilted 'C' shape in the false-color image

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedi...m?imageID=1762

made up (at least in visual NE and SW) of flatter, oblique surfaces.
Does it look to you like an artifact of the processsing? A partial rim
of a degraded old super-crater? Or have we found the first copyrighted
moon?
Old October 1st 05, 06:01 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Monte Davis
writes
"Bob" wrote:

Well vaguely it resembles a wasp next...

I'm struck by the bright, tilted 'C' shape in the false-color image

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedi...m?imageID=1762

made up (at least in visual NE and SW) of flatter, oblique surfaces.
Does it look to you like an artifact of the processsing? A partial rim
of a degraded old super-crater? Or have we found the first copyrighted
moon?

That is very weird, and I can see the theorists fighting over it for
years. But I suspect Bob's already close.
It doesn't look like any of the above :-)
I think I saw the smooth area described as cliffs in a press release.
It certainly doesn't look old - it looks fresh. Though if you want a
large old crater, I think the object at top right by the terminator
might qualify.
And as Bob said, it's uncannily like a wasp nest, especially where the
craters are actually on the cliffs.
--
Boycott Yahoo!
Old October 1st 05, 06:33 PM
Jeff Root

And as Bob said, it's uncannily like a wasp nest, especially
where the craters are actually on the cliffs.

I agree, it looks amazingly like a wasp nest, but in the
case of a wasp nest, dark and light are due to lit edges
and deep holes in shadow, while in this case I think dark
and light are due to differences in color. The craters
probably are not unusually deep.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Old October 2nd 05, 01:57 AM
Robert Hartwick

On 1 Oct 2005 10:33:22 -0700, "Jeff Root" wrote:

And as Bob said, it's uncannily like a wasp nest, especially
where the craters are actually on the cliffs.

I agree, it looks amazingly like a wasp nest, but in the
case of a wasp nest, dark and light are due to lit edges
and deep holes in shadow, while in this case I think dark
and light are due to differences in color. The craters
probably are not unusually deep.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

What gets me is how SMOOTH the surfaces between the holes look. Like
they were POLISHED or coated with fine dust. Tres weird.

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedi.../N00040409.jpg

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedi...iImageID=50325

Yet there are plenty of small young craters in the closest images.

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedi...iImageID=50351

Man, the moons of this solar system are a real ZOO! How can anybody
be bored by space exploration?