Betelgeuse Going Nova

Old June 10th 09, 03:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Default Betelgeuse Going Nova

http://blogs.nature.com/news/thegrea...t_to_blow.html

She's gonna blow, Captain!
Old June 10th 09, 08:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
BradGuth

On Jun 10, 7:18*am, kT wrote:
http://blogs.nature.com/news/thegrea...elgeuse_about_...

She's gonna blow, Captain!

Sirius B having recently evolved as of 250350 million years ago, and
most recently it kind of went soft nova, as it converted from the
original 8+ solar mass into a red supergiant of perhaps as little as
5.3 solar mass, and finally got down to being a white dwarf. In other
words, close enough to being a living hell on Earth until after the
final demise of becoming the white dwarf.

Here’s my further revised/edited version of stellar timelines that’ll
offer some alternative interpretation as to the recent birth and life
of the Sirius star/solar system, and that of this process most likely
having impacted our relatively nearby and passive solar system.

Our sun consumes or burns through 4.28e9 kg/sec
The original Sirius B of perhaps 8 solar masses had an expedited
timeline up until reaching its recent white dwarf phase, as obtained
at least 100 times faster stellar evolution than our sun reaching it’s
white dwarf phase within roughly 250e9 years (in other words for us,
our sun is never going to die unless something extremely large smacks
into it). Actually that’s more like a thousand fold faster stellar
evolution required, because Sirius B may have survived for as little
as 200 million years before having become the white dwarf.

Sirius B had to burn through its fuel at 1e14 1e15 kg/sec
In other words, having to burn through roughly 8 times as much mass in
as little as 1/1000th the time is what represents an extremely vibrant
(nearly exploding) kind of star, especially along with the original
Sirius A at perhaps 3+ solar mass and Sirius C at whatever it started
out as perhaps worth 1 solar mass is representing one heck of a great
deal of burning through such volumes of hydrogen and helium mass.

Now that’s a seriously hot star system that’s sharing loads of
substantial hard-X-rays and gamma, taking place at perhaps less than
10 light years from us, while the red supergiant phase and its helium
flashover (aka slow nova) into becoming the little white dwarf
happening even closer to us.

Our Earth and moon are each losing mass, and at the very least we are
losing 1e3 kg/sec, combined with the 4.28e9 kg/sec that our sun is
burning through, and given the persistent 300~400 km/s of solar wind
that’s pushing upon us (not to mention the added force of halo CMEs),
is suggesting it’s most likely this gradual loss of gravity or
reduction in tidal radius is what’s causing the majority of our
recession away from the sun.

This could actually become a good thing, especially if we somehow
manage to artificially cause Earth and our moon combined to lose 1e4
kg/sec, while our sun keeps getting more and more into the IR spectrum
that’ll eventually become an inflated red giant of 250 times radii,
with fluctuation affects and the increased loss of mass reaching out
nearly to Mars radii, means that Earth needs to get as far away form
our sun as possible, and the sooner the better.

Nothing all that much to worry about: (as long as our fading
geomagnetic force doesn’t entirely fail us)
http://spaceweather.gmu.edu/index_files/cme.jpg
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/images/lasco-c2-cme.jpg
http://www.astronomycast.com/wp-cont...007/04/cme.jpg
http://soho.nascom.nasa.gov/gallery/...ombo1_prev.jpg
http://ct.gsfc.nasa.gov/insights/vol13/tele.htm

Btw, Sirius A has most likely gone through at least 30% of it’s
original mass, and is about to become an impressive red supergiant of
its very own once exceeding 33% consumption, especially with a nearby
Sirius B sucking the hydrogen life out of Sirius A, as such isn’t
exactly retarding this process.

Of course, within the next million years there’ll be considerably less
magnetosphere and insufficient terrestrial resources for Eden/Earth to
sustain much other than robust bugs, microbes and spores of whatever
we once had been. That million years is a very short cosmic time, so
not to worry about such matters is best, even though advancing
technology could held salvage our otherwise certain demise. Too bad
the previous million years of terrestrial life had been so wasted, and
perhaps better luck next time unless some faith-based cults have other
intentions.

http://blogs.nature.com/news/thegrea...t_to_blow.html

Yes indeed, Betelgeuse should blow our socks off, with one hell of a
nova show as it becomes a fairly substantial white dwarf or possibly a
neutron star, especially if there's an ongoing shrinkage of 1%/year.

~ BG
Old June 11th 09, 02:57 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
BradGuth

On Jun 10, 7:18*am, kT wrote:
http://blogs.nature.com/news/thegrea...elgeuse_about_...

She's gonna blow, Captain!

At losing 1% of its diameter per year for the last 15 years, as such
being 600 light years away, it has already become a helium flashedover
into becoming a white dwarf.

So, how many trillions of intelligent other lives were either consumed
or set free to roam about the galaxy?

~ BG
Old June 13th 09, 12:18 PM posted to sci.space.station
Katipo[_2_]

"kT" wrote in message
http://blogs.nature.com/news/thegrea...t_to_blow.html

She's gonna blow, Captain!

Looks like Michael Keaton is going to end his acting career with a bang!

Old June 18th 09, 04:39 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
BradGuth

On Jun 10, 7:18*am, kT wrote:
http://blogs.nature.com/news/thegrea...elgeuse_about_...

She's gonna blow, Captain!

Our sun has been consuming and/or tossing away 2e12 kg/sec. Imagine
what a 20+ solar mass star had to quickly get rid of before going into
its red giant phase. If Betelgeuse has been worth 20 solar masses as
is, it should have been originally worth a super sized star of nearly
30 solar masses. Now it's shrinking and about to go into its helium
flashover, unless it flares back up as a persistent red supergiant.

~ BG