Low cost 1400lb LEO launcher called Falcon ?

Old August 15th 03, 01:17 AM
Dholmes

Default Low cost 1400lb LEO launcher called Falcon ?

Two sites with articles:

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/microsat-03m.html

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=12306

There site is http://www.spacex.com/

Sounds a little bigger the Pegasus and a lot cheaper.

Anyone have any info on the first stage engine?

To me it sounds like about a 60,000 lb thrust Kerosene based engine.

The second stage is listed at 7500 lbs thrust.

They talk about the first stage being reusable.A version with liquid
boosters at 4000 lbs to LEO.
Similar to the Delta and Atlas Heavy in configuration?

They also want to build a bigger first stage and use the current first stage
as a second.
Any idea on the size/thrust proposed?

Old August 15th 03, 07:37 PM
MattWriter

Space-X CEO Elon Musk briefed this Tuesday to the Smallsat Conference. I don;t
have his slides, but I recall the first stage engine being about 70K thrust.
The statement about using the first vehicle (Falcon) as the upper stages for a
large vehicle is a little bit misleading, and I'm not sure why it's in the
company's literature. They are talking about reusing engines and avionics from
Falcon in those stages, but the stage diameter will be larger.

Matt Bille
)
OPINIONS IN ALL POSTS ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR