Great APOD (Mars occultation)

Old July 24th 03, 06:20 PM
Davoud

Default Great APOD (Mars occultation)

gibbonsc:
Check out the APOD for a great image of the Mars occultation!
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

Yep, great image.

But, what's that strange ghostly artifact on Mars?

*****

You're not an astrolger, or perhaps a face-on-mars freako, are you? An
artifact is a man-made object. There are no artifacts on Mars that are
large enough to be photographed from Earth -- the Weekly World News
headline of some years back "Statue of Elvis Found on Mars"
notwithstanding.

As for dust storms, atmospheric disturbances, optical illusions, and
suchlike being strange, I can't agree. These phenomena aren't all that
strange because 1) they are common and 2) they are pretty well
understood. I can't comment on the ghostly part, because I have never
seen a ghost, and I'm more than a little bit skeptical as to whether
anyone else has seen a ghost.

Almost looks like a cartoon face, to me....
Somebody having a little fun with the image processing??

I don't understand why some people don't just try to recognize and
appreciate things for what they are and not what they fancy them to be!

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old July 24th 03, 06:56 PM
gibbonsc

Davoud wrote:

[...]

Humour isn't one of your strong suits, Davoud? g

(no.... I don't believe in "the face on Mars", btw)

But seriously, there's some sort of faint artifact visible in the Mars
portion of the image.
Almost looks like a doodle of a "Kilroy" or "Charlie Brown" shaped head.
You might see it more easily if you tilt your head to the left. (no joke,
really! g)
If it's something that's crept in during the image processing, it's not the
sort of thing I've seen before. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if the
imager is having a bit of subtle fun....

Whatever.

Clive.

Old July 24th 03, 07:05 PM
gibbonsc

John Steinberg wrote:

Clive wrote:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

But, what's that strange ghostly artifact on Mars?
Almost looks like a cartoon face, to me....
Somebody having a little fun with the image processing??

On the contrary, Clive, that's a little discussed but well known
portion of the Martian topography. Often confused for Hellas Planitia,
It's proper Latin name is Orkypay Igpay and a more distinct image of it
can be found he

http://people.brandeis.edu/~orko/Porky%20Pig.jpg

Good of you to spot it, many less sharp-eyed observers confuse it with
the Syrtis Major region .

--
-John Steinberg
email: lid

Ahhhhhh, that's it!
Thanks for clearing up the mystery, John. g

I'm just glad that all those saturday mornings, watching Warner Bros. cartoons, were
good for something.

Beeebubu, beebubu, beeeebubu, That's all Folks!

Clive.