FWD: China Launches Shenzhou V

Old October 15th 03, 02:52 AM
G.Beat

Default China Launches Shenzhou V

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...
...Details are a bit sketch, but it appears that China launched
Shenzhou V. The AP is reporting the launch, but as of 8:45CDT this was
all that was available:

--------------------

SPACE.COM web site has story .. as lead
http://www.space.com

GB

... now back to baseball history !

Old October 15th 03, 03:50 AM
OM

Default FWD: China Launches Shenzhou V

....Details are a bit sketch, but it appears that China launched
Shenzhou V. The AP is reporting the launch, but as of 8:45CDT this was
all that was available:

--------------------

GOBI DESERT, China (AP) - China launched its first manned space
mission on Wednesday, sending an astronaut hurtling toward orbit and
becoming the third country in history to do so on its own - four
decades after the Soviet Union and the United States.

--------------------

AP Wire Feeder on Yang Liwei:
NAME: Yang Liwei.

PROFESSION: Pilot.

AGE: Born 1965, Youzhong County, Liaoning province, northeastern
China.

HEIGHT: 5 feet, 6 inches.

SELECTED FOR MISSION: Tuesday.

PERSONAL: Married, at least one child.

PROFESSIONAL: Works for Aviation Military Unit of China's People's
Liberation Army. Became astronaut 1983.

QUOTE: "I will not disappoint the motherland. I will complete each
movement with total concentration. And I will gain honor for the
People's Liberation Army and for the Chinese nation."

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old October 15th 03, 09:05 PM
Bill Higgins

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, OM wrote:

...Details are a bit sketch, but it appears that China launched
Shenzhou V. The AP is reporting the launch, but as of 8:45CDT this was
all that was available:

[...]

AGE: Born 1965, Youzhong County, Liaoning province, northeastern
China.

HEIGHT: 5 feet, 6 inches.

SELECTED FOR MISSION: Tuesday.

Anybody why they waited till the last moment to select one of the trainees
to be pilot? Seems odd.

PERSONAL: Married, at least one child.

PROFESSIONAL: Works for Aviation Military Unit of China's People's
Liberation Army. Became astronaut 1983.

Did he really become an astronaut (well, taikonaut, or yuhangyuan) at the
age of eighteen?

--
Bill Higgins | ASTRONOMY:
Fermi National | The early science of the sky.

Old October 16th 03, 12:55 AM
Pat Flannery

Bill Higgins wrote:

Did he really become an astronaut (well, taikonaut, or yuhangyuan) at the
age of eighteen?

This might be a good time to bring up the link from Encyclopedia
Astronautica about the original group of Chinese spacemen from thirty
years ago, and their somewhat confused and shoestring budgeted training
program ("Great News! The Central Committee is giving us our very own
telephone! And we may even get a jeep!!!")- hilarious reading, and just
the thing as a tasty sidedish for boiled bread cooked over a backyard
steel mill furnace: http://www.astronautix.com/craft/shuuang1.htm