Question about 3-axis gimbal

Old February 15th 07, 06:51 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Ady[_2_]

Default Question about 3-axis gimbal

Hi there

I have recently come across the idea of a 3-axis gimbal to keep an
object (mounted in the innermost ring) horizontal regardless of the
motion of the support (on which the outermost ring is pivoted). I
understand that the 3-axis (3-rings, with the outermost ring pivoted
on the support that is prone to rotation) gimbal would prevent
rotation about 3 mutually-perpendicualr axes (let's call them x, y and
z).

But what if the support (on which the outermost ring is pivoted)
rotates about an axis that is at an angle to all of of these 3
mutually-perpendicular axes, ie lets' say at an angle of 30deg to x, y
and z axes? Since the 3 rings are designed to prevent rotation of the
object ONLY if the support rotates about one of the 3 perpendicualr
axes, how will object behave if the support rotated abiut any other
arbitrary axes?

Your comment will be appreciated.
Thanks

Old February 15th 07, 10:34 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Derek Lyons

"Ady" wrote:

But what if the support (on which the outermost ring is pivoted)
rotates about an axis that is at an angle to all of of these 3
mutually-perpendicular axes, ie lets' say at an angle of 30deg to x, y
and z axes? Since the 3 rings are designed to prevent rotation of the
object ONLY if the support rotates about one of the 3 perpendicualr
axes, how will object behave if the support rotated abiut any other
arbitrary axes?

Each gimbal rotates to take out the portion of the rotation in it's
plane.

This is a long solved problem.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old February 20th 07, 03:39 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Ady[_2_]

On Feb 15, 5:34 pm, (Derek Lyons) wrote:
"Ady" wrote:
But what if the support (on which the outermost ring is pivoted)
rotates about an axis that is at an angle to all of of these 3
mutually-perpendicular axes, ie lets' say at an angle of 30deg to x, y
and z axes? Since the 3 rings are designed to prevent rotation of the
object ONLY if the support rotates about one of the 3 perpendicualr
axes, how will object behave if the support rotated abiut any other
arbitrary axes?

Each gimbal rotates to take out the portion of the rotation in it's
plane.

This is a long solved problem.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

Thank you Derek for your reply. A further clarification - I am new to
gimbal design. I would like to learn more about the actual design and
principles of how to prevent rotation of the object in the centre.

- do you know of any references which give more info on detailed
design/theory/analysis of this subject? Internet links tend to define
and give a small description only.
- how can I design the pivots if I want to prevent rotation only about
all the possible axes that lie in one plane let's say x-y plane?

Thanks again