Russian Plans to Fire ICBMs From Combat Silos Into Orbit

Old December 4th 04, 04:45 PM
Jim Oberg

Default Russian Plans to Fire ICBMs From Combat Silos Into Orbit

A remarkable report at http://www.gazeta.ru/2004/12/01/oa_141290.shtml
describes Russian plans to fire intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs)
from combat silos in Dombarovskiy Rayon in the southern Urals, first towards
the Kamchatka Penninsula later this month, and eventually southwards into
orbit around Earth for commercial customers. This will undoubtedly receive
heightened diplomatic attention under current circumstances. The
Ukraine-built missiles, the RS-20 (SS-18 'Satan'), will be decommissioned
due to age in coming years, and 'destroyed' (per SALT) by launching them
(this is allowed). But I'm unaware of any previous Soviet ICBM launchings
out of active military silos (as opposed to test launches from ranges at
Baykonur and Plesetsk). Nor have I seen any indications of attempts to seek
commercial customers for the orbital launchings, as the article alleges. I
would appreciate any insights from readers into these activities and could
share some raw data of my own.

James Oberg (www.jamesoberg.com), email to jameseoberg at houston dot rr dot
com

Old December 4th 04, 05:18 PM
Terrell Miller

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message

A remarkable report at http://www.gazeta.ru/2004/12/01/oa_141290.shtml
describes Russian plans to fire intercontinental ballistic missiles
(ICBMs)
from combat silos in Dombarovskiy Rayon in the southern Urals, first
towards
the Kamchatka Penninsula later this month, and eventually southwards into
orbit around Earth for commercial customers.

JimO, this is probably a real dumb question, but...do SS-18s have enough
oomph to get a payload into orbit in the first place?

If so, gotta *love* the creative solution to the "what to do with the old
nukes"? question. Capitalism at its finest g

--
Terrell Miller

"The truth will set you free. So will pork and beans."
-She Devil's Father

Old December 4th 04, 05:25 PM
Anthony Frost

In message
"Jim Oberg" wrote:

A remarkable report at http://www.gazeta.ru/2004/12/01/oa_141290.shtml
describes Russian plans to fire intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs)
from combat silos in Dombarovskiy Rayon in the southern Urals,

But I'm unaware of any previous Soviet ICBM launchings
out of active military silos (as opposed to test launches from ranges at
Baykonur and Plesetsk). Nor have I seen any indications of attempts to seek
commercial customers for the orbital launchings, as the article alleges.

Is this greatly different from the orbital launches they've performed
from mobile silos? They seem to have had a steady trickle of customers
for the submarine launches.

Anthony

Old December 4th 04, 05:58 PM
w9gb

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message

A remarkable report at http://www.gazeta.ru/2004/12/01/oa_141290.shtml
describes Russian plans to fire intercontinental ballistic missiles
(ICBMs)
from combat silos in Dombarovskiy Rayon in the southern Urals, first
towards
the Kamchatka Peninsula later this month, and eventually southwards into
orbit around Earth for commercial customers. This will undoubtedly receive
heightened diplomatic attention under current circumstances. The
Ukraine-built missiles, the RS-20 (SS-18 'Satan'), will be decommissioned
due to age in coming years, and 'destroyed' (per SALT) by launching them
(this is allowed). But I'm unaware of any previous Soviet ICBM launchings
out of active military silos (as opposed to test launches from ranges at
Baykonur and Plesetsk). Nor have I seen any indications of attempts to
seek
commercial customers for the orbital launchings, as the article alleges. I
would appreciate any insights from readers into these activities and could
share some raw data of my own.

James Oberg (www.jamesoberg.com), email to jameseoberg at houston dot rr
dot
com

Jim,

My guess is that the Russians have noticed the success (long term launch
contracts) of the ISC Kosmotras Dnepr program and desire to acquire some of
these foreign dollars.

The SS-18 or RS-20 (marketed as Dnepr by ISC Kosmotras) is already being
launched from Baiknour -- which are launched out the silos on the complex.
Accoridng to the presentation that I attended in October, the section of
Baiknour where the Dnepr is launched is strictly "off-limits" .. as to
whether they are classified as "military active silos" -- possibly not.

Here is the ISC Kosmotras Dnepr marketing web site:
http://www.kosmotras.ru/
There are reported to be 150 SS-18 missiles that can be converted into
launch vehicles for the Dnepr Program. The Dnepr launch vehicle, with a
payload capability of 4,500 kg (9,920 lbm) to LEO and a launch price of US $
10-13 M, has been fulfilling the small science satellite market, Little LEO
and LEO O&M markets. (Surrey (UK) and SpaceQuest (US) has been frequent
users of this launch vehicle, as well as European and Asian countries)

Here is a photos of the recent June 24, 2004 AMSAT "Echo" launch (AO-51 -
now in orbit) from Baiknour (Kazakhstan) on the Dnepr (this was the fourth
launch of the Dnepr)
http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/echo/...aunch_1200.jpg

Chuck Green was the "lucky" guy to spend one month in Kazakhstan for the
launch (and was allowed to take a substantial number of photos)
http://bach.as.arizona.edu/gallery/T...back_to_Moscow

They actually started the airplane's engine (for return trip to Moscow) by
hitting it with a large hammer .... and you thought that scene from
Armageddon (1998 Bruce Willis movie) was a joke? .... and yes these photos
show the aircraft's tires.
http://bach.as.arizona.edu/gallery/echo

w9gb

Old December 4th 04, 06:14 PM
Henry Spencer

Terrell Miller wrote:
JimO, this is probably a real dumb question, but...do SS-18s have enough
oomph to get a payload into orbit in the first place?

Oh yes -- it's the biggest ICBM ever built, after all. A Dnepr (about 4t
to a rather low orbit) is an SS-18.

The main limitation with the stock ICBM as a launcher is that there is no
capability for a coast phase during ascent, which means that payload drops
off very sharply as orbit altitude rises. Kosmotras was supposed to be
working on an improved third stage which would cure that, but I don't know
if it's flown.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old December 4th 04, 06:31 PM
Iain Young

On 2004-12-04, Terrell Miller wrote:

JimO, this is probably a real dumb question, but...do SS-18s have enough
oomph to get a payload into orbit in the first place?

According to a 1999 Wired article, the SS-18 can launch four tons into
orbit. See http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,19298,00.html

(There are probably other, better references, this is just the first I
came across after a google search)

IIRC, Bigelow planning to use one to launch one of their Genesis
inflatables, pending US State Dept approval.

Iain
Old December 4th 04, 08:31 PM
Scott Lowther

Henry Spencer wrote:

The main limitation with the stock ICBM as a launcher is that ...

....people get twitchy when you start launching them, especially from
silos...

Old December 4th 04, 10:08 PM
Pat Flannery

Scott Lowther wrote:

...people get twitchy when you start launching them, especially from
silos...

Especially if you don't tell them way in advance...I think the SLBM
launched satellites would have even more potential in this area.

Pat

Old December 5th 04, 04:24 AM
MattWriter

The SS-18 is a close equivalent to the American Titan II, just a bit larger.
The retired and refurbished Titan II missile turned out to be a very workable
orbital launcher. (9 for 9, I believe).

Matt Bille
)
OPINIONS IN ALL POSTS ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR
Old December 7th 04, 09:45 AM
Derek Lyons

Pat Flannery wrote:
Scott Lowther wrote:

...people get twitchy when you start launching them, especially from
silos...

Especially if you don't tell them way in advance...I think the SLBM
launched satellites would have even more potential in this area.

And there are long established protocols among the various owners and
operators of SL/ICBM on how and when to make notifications of future
launches.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.