Laser for adaptive optics sees (gives?) first light on the 200-inch

Old November 12th 04, 07:00 PM
Mike Simmons

Default Laser for adaptive optics sees (gives?) first light on the 200-inch

Press release at http://pr.caltech.edu/media/Press_Releases/PR12613.html
Photos at http://www.astro.caltech.edu/palomar/outreach/aolgs/

Laser Points to the Future at Palomar

PALOMAR MOUNTAIN, Calif. -- The Hale Telescope on Palomar Mountain has
been gathering light from the depths of the universe for 55 years. It
finally sent some back early last week as a team of astronomers from the
California Institute of Technology, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and the
University of Chicago created an artificial star by propagating a 4-watt
laser beam out from the Hale Telescope and up into the night sky.

The laser was propagated as the first step in a program to expand the
fraction of sky available to the technique known as adaptive optics.
Adaptive optics allows astronomers to correct for the fuzzy images
produced by earth's moving atmosphere, giving them a view that often
surpasses those of smaller telescopes based in space.

"We have been steadily improving adaptive optics using bright natural
guide stars at Palomar. As a result, the system routinely corrects for
atmospheric distortions. Now we will be able to go to the next step," says
Richard Dekany, associate director for development at Caltech Optical
Observatories. Currently astronomers at Palomar can use the
adaptive-optics technique only if a moderately bright star is sufficiently
close to their object of interest. The adaptive-optics system uses the
star as a source by which astronomers monitor and correct for the
distortions produced by earth's atmosphere.

Employing the laser will allow astronomers to place an artificial
corrective guide star wherever they see fit. To do so, they shine a narrow
sodium laser beam up through the atmosphere. At an altitude of about 60
miles, the laser beam makes a small amount of sodium gas glow. The
reflected glow from the glowing gas serves as the artificial guide star
for the adaptive-optics system. The laser beam is too faint to be seen
except by observers very close to the telescope, and the guide star it
creates is even fainter. It can't be seen with the unaided eye, yet it is
bright enough to allow astronomers to make their adaptive-optics
corrections.

The Palomar Observatory currently employs the world's fastest astronomical
adaptive optics system on its 200-inch Hale Telescope. It is able to
correct for changes in the atmosphere 2,000 times per second. Astronomers
from Caltech, JPL, and Cornell University have exploited this system to
discover brown dwarf companions to stars, study the weather on a moon of
Saturn, and see the shapes of asteroids.

"This is an important achievement that brings us one step closer to our
goal," says Mitchell Troy, the adaptive optics group lead and Palomar
adaptive optics task manager at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. The goal,
achieving adaptive-optics correction using the laser guide star, is
expected next year. This will place Palomar in elite company as just the
third observatory worldwide to deploy a laser guide system. This laser
will greatly expand the science performed at Palomar and pave the way for
future projects on telescopes that have not yet been built.

"This a terrific technical achievement which not only opens up a bold and
exciting scientific future for the venerable 200-inch telescope, but also
demonstrates the next step on a path toward future large telescopes such
as the Thirty Meter Telescope, " says Richard Ellis, Steele Family
Professor of Astronomy and director of the Caltech Optical Observatories.
"The next generation of large telescopes requires sodium laser guide-star
adaptive-optics of the type being demonstrated at Palomar Observatory," he
adds.

Currently in the design phase, the Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) will
eventually deliver images at visible and infrared wavelengths 12 times
sharper than those of the Hubble Space Telescope. The TMT project is a
collaboration between Caltech and the Associated Universities for Research
in Astronomy, the Association of Canadian Universities for Research in
Astronomy, and the University of California.

The Caltech adaptive optics team is made up of Richard Dekany (team
leader) and Viswa Velur, Rich Goeden, Bob Weber, and Khanh Bui. Professor
Edward Kibblewhite, University of Chicago, built the Chicago sum-frequency
laser used in this project. The JPL Palomar adaptive optics team includes
Mitchell Troy (team leader), Gary Brack, Steve Guiwits, Dean Palmer,
Jennifer Roberts, Fang Shi, Thang Trinh, Tuan Truong and Kent Wallace.
Installation of the laser at the Hale Telescope was overseen by Andrew
Pickles, Robert Thicksten, and Hal Petrie of Palomar Observatory, and
supported by Merle Sweet, John Henning, and Steve Einer.

The Palomar adaptive optics instrument was built and continues to be
supported by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory as part of a Caltech-JPL
collaboration.

Support for the adaptive-optics research at Caltech's Palomar Observatory
comes from the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, the Oschin Family
Foundation, and the National Science Foundation Center for Adaptive Optics.

To see photos of the laser, go to:
http://www.astro.caltech.edu/palomar/outreach/aolgs/

MEDIA CONTACT: Scott Kardel, Palomar Public Affairs Director (760)
742-2111

Visit the Caltech media relations web site:
http://pr.caltech.edu/media
Old November 12th 04, 07:26 PM
Jon Isaacs

The laser was propagated as the first step in a program to expand the
fraction of sky available to the technique known as adaptive optics.

Actually the real reason for installing the laser is that the astronomers up on
Palomar still haven't learned how to STAR HOP and rather than just sending
Howie Glatter some money for a green laser they applied to the government for a
grant and now they are stuck acting like there was a good reason for spending
all that money....

D and P...

Dog and Pony show...

jon
Old November 12th 04, 07:53 PM
Mike Simmons

On 12 Nov 2004 19:26:14 GMT, Jon Isaacs wrote:

Actually the real reason for installing the laser is that the
astronomers up on Palomar still haven't learned how to STAR HOP...

That must be it, Jon! I've sent your comment on to the chief night
assistant on the 200". It's about time they got their act together
there.G I'm sure they'll get a kick our of your response.

Mike Simmons
Old November 12th 04, 09:10 PM
Chuck

Actually, I believe this technique was first tested by Dr. Fugate over a
decade ago at the Starfire Observatory which formed the first prototype upon
which the Keck and many other telescopes have been based on ...

news

Old November 12th 04, 10:16 PM
Jon Isaacs

That must be it, Jon! I've sent your comment on to the chief night
assistant on the 200". It's about time they got their act together
there.G I'm sure they'll get a kick our of your response.

Mike Simmons

Mike:

Please tell him that I live in San Diego and am willing to spend an evening
showing them how to Star Hop and pointing out some of the more obvious DSOs...

jon
Old November 12th 04, 10:18 PM
Jon Isaacs

I thought they have a goto system? I guess it must be for aligning on
those first couple of stars after a power outage. I bet it's a bitch
trying to get Vega centered in the narrow fov of a 200 incher.

---
Michael

They are still using the old Meade Magellan System I up on the mountain. GOTO
will only get you so far, for the really fine stuff you need to Star Hop...

jon
Old November 12th 04, 10:49 PM
Jan Owen

"Jon Isaacs" wrote in message
That must be it, Jon! I've sent your comment on to the chief night
assistant on the 200". It's about time they got their act together
there.G I'm sure they'll get a kick our of your response.

Mike Simmons

Mike:

Please tell him that I live in San Diego and am willing to spend an

evening
showing them how to Star Hop and pointing out some of the more obvious

DSOs...

jon

Yeah, and if you need any help, I'll be right over... It's less than a
five hour drive (ESPECIALLY to help out a worthy cause, so I might put the
fuel injectors to what is sometimes referred to as WFO...)...

--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail address...
Latitude: 33.662
Longitude: -112.3272

Old November 13th 04, 01:42 PM
Howie Glatter

Jon Isaacs wrote

Actually the real reason for installing the laser is that the astronomers
up on Palomar still haven't learned how to STAR HOP and rather than
just sending Howie Glatter some money for a green laser . .

Actually Jon, they did send me some money for a laser. I'm thrilled
to have a small connection with this great advance for the historic
Palomar telescope. I'll copy below an e-mail I received a while back
from Hal Petrie:

Dear Mr. Glatter,
Palomar Observatory is implementing a Laser Guide Star system
to be used in conjunction with our Adaptive Optics on the Hale 200"
Telescope. A 6mm laser beam will be projected out of our Coude Room
and relayed up the side of the telescope, over to the prime focus
cage,
and then expanded in a Cassegrain type telescope for projection on
the sky. We wish to collimate the Laser Launch Telescope that expands
the beam and your products seem to offer features that would be
useful to us.
I have found references on the web to use of laser collimators,
and have been to your website. It would be very helpful, however,
if I could speak with you briefly on the phone to clear up a
few technical issues and ordering protocol. We are trying to use
an Engineering Run at the 200" on Sept 27 to accomplish this
collimation,
so we have boxed ourselves into a bit of a time crunch. I would
greatly appreciate it if you could give me a call at your earliest
convenience.
Best Regards,

Hal Petrie
Palomar Observatory
Old November 13th 04, 06:12 PM
Mike Simmons

How cool! I hope they point it out to amateurs on tours. They love
seeing the Telrads on the 100" at Mt. Wilson.g BTW, Hal is the chief
engineer for Caltech Observatories which also includes Keck and the
Thrity-Meter. You're definitely in the big time there, Howie! Congrats!

Mike Simmons

Jon Isaacs wrote