NO Dark Matter: Another Confirmed SD Rodrian prediction

Old July 16th 03, 03:21 PM
Nick Keighley

Default NO Dark Matter: Another Confirmed SD Rodrian prediction

Martyn Harrison wrote in message . ..
Apparently on date Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:37:39 +0000 (UTC),
(Nick Keighley) said:
"dustbird" wrote in message ...
"Nick Keighley" wrote in message
om...
"dustbird" wrote in message

I had another thought relating to the idea that the universe is
expanding at an accelerating rate. This came upon reading Isa 51.6, in
part:

Lift up your eyes to the heavens,
And look upon the earth beneath;
For the heavens shall vanish away like smoke,
And the earth shall was old like a garment.

as a general rule The Bible isn't a very good physics text.

Note I am not an astronomer (IANAA) all my statements should be assumed
to be preceeded by "to the best of my knowledge...")

with luck someone who knows what they are talking about will butt in...

From the title of the thread, "No Dark Matter" is more than just a failed
prediction, it is an ignorant one.

with respect, if you'd bothered to read what was posted the thread topic
had drifted and was no longer about the absense of dark matter.

Between the stars there is almost certainly material, at least something like
hydrogen gas. This is "dark matter". It's dark because it is not emitting
enough light for us to be able to see it. All the planets around other stars
are dark matter, black holes are dark matter.

Basically, there is udoubtedly dark matter out there, the only debates in
proper astronomy are about how much there might be.

I'm so glad I posted to sci.astro because now I have learnt something.
I was under the impression that adding this lot up didn't actually
explain away all the mass needed. I had thought "dark matter" referred
to something other than hydrogen gas and planets (are they really
significant?). Thankyou.

--
Nick Keighley

Dark matter Gordon D. Pusch Science 4 April 28th 04 06:56 AM
Dark Matter Q Niko Holm Policy 3 January 15th 04 05:33 PM
Detecting dark matter Stuart Levy Astronomy Misc 14 July 23rd 03 02:09 AM
where did the dark matter that causes flat rotation curves in gal Oriel36 Astronomy Misc 17 July 19th 03 02:02 PM
U.California-Irvine study finds dark matter is for superWIMPs (Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 0 July 14th 03 09:02 PM