Will Moon Robot Fly?

Old November 2nd 10, 12:49 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Will Moon Robot Fly?

On Nov 2, 11:25*am, Pat Flannery wrote:
Okay, it's flags and footprints again, but this time they are robot
footprints:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/02/sc....html?partner=...
It looks a lot like 1A, the robot that taught "Magnus, Robot Fighter" to
kill evil robots with a karate chop to their naughty steel
necks..."SQUE-E-E-E-E!"*:http://images.darkhorse.com/common/s...magnusv1/magnu...
This thing needs a name; but naming it 1A would make it sound like it's
a piece of USDA certified meat, and whatever else it is, it's not meat.
(...not yet at least; the Cylon skin jobs are still in the future...)
Anyway, it needs some catchy moniker to go by, and I think "Looner
Loopy" might just fit the bill.

* Sound a robot would make when its head was chopped off. Honkers on the
other hand would go "GREEUUNNK!" when Turok and Andar would shoot them
in the neck with poison arrows:http://www.comicartfans.com/Images/C...t_57247/TUROK5...
The neck is always anything that is troublesome's vulnerable spot, as
Henry VIII knew.
A Gold Key comic based on the life of Henry VIII ("Henry, Wife Fighter
In The Year 1500 A.D.") would have been a lot of fun, and one can just
imagine Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard going "SQUEERUUNNK!" as their
heads came off. ;-)

Pat

I beat you to it with my walking robot to the moon in a 1000
days......

In any case this is what nasa should do to reinvent itself and license
the technology to industry for use on earth, reinvest the bucks in
space exploration

the only way top make US manufacturing competive again in the world
market is by using robots. this is a great idea
Old November 2nd 10, 01:30 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 3/11/2010 2:25 AM, Pat Flannery wrote:
Okay, it's flags and footprints again, but this time they are robot
footprints:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/02/sc...er=rss&emc=rss

snip

Pat

There's going to be a few groups against it. The Astronaut Office for
one - why send a robot when a human can do a much better job?

Then there's me.... VERY AGAINST IT!

It's not April Fool's Day, is it? That whole article sounds like a
put-up job to me.
Old November 2nd 10, 01:37 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 2/11/2010 11:49 PM, wrote:

I beat you to it with my walking robot to the moon in a 1000
days......

Your posts don't count; Pat's do. Reason? He's respected.
Old November 2nd 10, 03:25 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

http://images.darkhorse.com/common/s...magnusv1p1.jpg

http://www.comicartfans.com/Images/C...TUROK59PG6.jpg

Old November 2nd 10, 05:03 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 11/2/2010 5:30 AM, Alan Erskine wrote:
On 3/11/2010 2:25 AM, Pat Flannery wrote:
Okay, it's flags and footprints again, but this time they are robot
footprints:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/02/sc...er=rss&emc=rss

snip

Pat

There's going to be a few groups against it. The Astronaut Office for
one - why send a robot when a human can do a much better job?

Then there's me.... VERY AGAINST IT!

It's not April Fool's Day, is it? That whole article sounds like a
put-up job to me.

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto.
Well, it is pretty gimmicky, and the thing would be inferior to a rover
of some sort as far as scientific results go from the mission, but at
this point NASA is quite willing to grasp at any straws it can see.
What is interesting is that NASA seems to be at war with itself
internally, with various factions coming up with their own plans and
taking after other factions and _their_ plans, as is noticeable in both
this project and the earlier Ares/DIRECT battle.

Pat

Old November 2nd 10, 05:05 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 11/2/2010 5:37 AM, Alan Erskine wrote:
On 2/11/2010 11:49 PM, wrote:

I beat you to it with my walking robot to the moon in a 1000
days......

Your posts don't count; Pat's do. Reason? He's respected.

People sense my power, and they fear me and my bottle of Bore Worms. ;-)

Pat The Merciless

Old November 2nd 10, 06:09 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Nov 2, 1:03*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
[...]

Pat- Hide quoted text -

the robot could ride a rover to areas of interest. like cold places
humans couldnt go, in search of water?
Old November 2nd 10, 06:24 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Quadibloc

On Nov 2, 9:25*am, Pat Flannery wrote:

It looks a lot like 1A, the robot that taught "Magnus, Robot Fighter" to
kill evil robots with a karate chop to their naughty steel
necks..."SQUE-E-E-E-E!"

When Valiant comics continued the series, they gave 1A an origin that
made him a good frewill robot because he respected the commanding
officer of the spaceship on which he had been placed... so a
connection between 1A and space was created in this... secondary
canon.

Although this robot looks more like C-3PO than 1A, except for the
color, in my opinion.

John Savard
Old November 2nd 10, 06:27 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Quadibloc

On Nov 2, 11:03*am, Pat Flannery wrote:

Well, it is pretty gimmicky, and the thing would be inferior to a rover
of some sort as far as scientific results go from the mission,

Yes, I have a hard time seeing a justification for this. Except
perhaps as some kind of practice launch for sending a human.

Now, if the humanoid robot could have an upload for its brain, then
that would be as good as sending a human. But we aren't anywhere near
there yet.

John Savard
Old November 2nd 10, 07:51 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Nov 2, 2:27*pm, Quadibloc wrote:
On Nov 2, 11:03*am, Pat Flannery wrote:

Well, it is pretty gimmicky, and the thing would be inferior to a rover
of some sort as far as scientific results go from the mission,

Yes, I have a hard time seeing a justification for this. Except
perhaps as some kind of practice launch for sending a human.

Now, if the humanoid robot could have an upload for its brain, then
that would be as good as sending a human. But we aren't anywhere near
there yet.

John Savard

with just seconds of time delay between earth and moon it shouldnt be
a killer issue.

imagine controlling any sort of robot on the moon, people mightpay to
do that

plus exploring very unsafe areas