OT.. THE Classic Robot

Old October 15th 08, 12:26 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default OT.. THE Classic Robot

Always looked to me like it had a Wurlitzer jukebox crossed with a
gumball machine where the head should be:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/...of-this-world/
If you've seen the movie, the gyros under the dome rotate around the
center axis of Robby's body as they spin; which would actually be a
pretty good way for it to check its attitude and keep its balance via
sensors mounted on their mountings.
More on Robby he http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robby_the_Robot
Somewhere between Robby and Gort I developed my childhood idea of what
robots really _should_ look like.
I can guarantee you that I'd feel a lot more comfortable around Robby
than Gort.
Although...Gort would be cool to have as your protector as a kid, like
Arnold in Terminator II.
Of course, I'd also put in modifying orders to prevent Gort from killing
people...if someone sassed me off, Gort would just disintegrate all his
clothes.
Wouldn't that be cool to see in a high school hallway?
Maybe Gort could make high school girl's bras vanish also.
And their skirts shrink in length.*
Where was Gort when I needed him?

* Not that that would have accomplished much in the miniskirt/hot pants
with halter tops era that I went to high school in...
Imagine around 50% of the entire female class running around dressed up
like go-go dancers.
The more respectable girls had the bottom of their skirts as much as a
foot beneath their groin, wore tan, not black, pantyhose, and avoided
bright green eyeshadow and knee-high white vinyl boots unless necessary. :-D
Female high school students today could _never_ get away with the way
they dressed in summer of 1974.
They would immediately be sent to the student guidance consular, whose
first question would be: "When did you first consider becoming a whore
was a wise career move?"
Those poor male high school teachers...married to their frumpy 1950's
wives...
By the time they got back home, they must have been hard enough to cut
diamonds - and even their frumpy wife kissing them hello probably
resulted in a need to replace roof shingles as The Big White Blast sent
them clean into the next block.

Pat
Old October 15th 08, 02:34 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

gumball machine where the head should be:http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/...nt-out-of-this...
[...]

A good robot looks and functions much like a Gray.

~ BG
Old October 16th 08, 08:12 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:
...Nonono, that's:

"Um, exchanging sex for money is bad for you, mmmkay?"
OM

It was fun to see Wendy beat the crap out of Cartman. :-)

Pat
Old October 23rd 08, 06:18 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
David Spain

Pat Flannery writes:

Somewhere between Robby and Gort I developed my childhood idea of what robots
really _should_ look like.
I can guarantee you that I'd feel a lot more comfortable around Robby than
Gort.
Although...Gort would be cool to have as your protector as a kid, like Arnold
in Terminator II.
Of course, I'd also put in modifying orders to prevent Gort from killing
people...if someone sassed me off, Gort would just disintegrate all his
clothes.

I can't imagine anyone remaking TDTESS, but if they ever did I'd recommend
two minor plot changes that would have made the movie a whole lot more
believable. First, let's show how really bad-ass Klatuu's Federation was,
not by turning off the electricity (after all there's still a lot of the world
that doesn't care that much about it), but borrow a gimmick promoted
in other sci-fi works, just make the sun go out for one day, across the whole
planet. It's 9am and its pitch black outside, stars shining and hmm, no moon
visible either.... that'd get MY attention. The other change would be to Gort.
Gort needs the ability to make itself invisible. That would have cleared up
the other major plot hole in the original. Otherwise, how the h*ll does
Gort get to Klatuu w/o getting noticed? The original leaves us only one option,
he takes a taxicab?!

Cab driver: "Ok folks that'll be 5 bucks..."

Patricia Neal: "Gort baringi 5 dollar"

Dave