Astro - Totally off topic, but pretty interesting :-)

Old July 6th 03, 12:24 PM
Stephen Tonkin

Default Astro - Totally off topic, but pretty interesting :-)

Martin Frey wrote:
[...]
Nor mine. After half a dozen pop-up alerts I gave it the 3 fingers and
it died painlessly. Would something more radical happen if I had let it
run and run?

Nah, I held down the space bar to rapidly recycle through the pop-ups,
entered trash in the occasional dialogue boxes that occurred, and it
eventually gave up and did something else (can't remember what). It
really was the "irritating web site" taken to extremes; I can think of a
few web designers that ought to be pointed there!

Thinking about the virus claim, I did wonder if it had a Java routine
designed to irritate by making you *think* you have a virus, but I tend
to surf with Opera in a fairly secure/stealthy mode, so I'd not have
seen it anyway.

Best,
Stephen

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old July 6th 03, 06:20 PM
Martin Anderson

"Martin Frey" wrote in message
Stephen Tonkin wrote:

but I tend
to surf with Opera in a fairly secure/stealthy mode, so I'd not have
seen it anyway.

This sounds like the perfect cunning plan for the web. Browsing with
such stealth that neither you nor the page know you've been there...

Cheers

Martin

Martin Frey
N 51 02 E 0 47

Sorry, but i don't know what the virus was or where the page came from. I
use Zone Alarm which is quite good. I might have had another program on the
go (downloading music) and the pop up could have come from that. Sorry about
the scare. ;-(

Martin A