Strange fireball

Old July 30th 03, 05:50 AM
DeAnna

Default Strange fireball

I was wondering if anyone else saw this. I look at the sky a lot, watch the Station, and
many of the satellites pass over (beginning with the Echo and Sputnik, when I was a
child). In fact, we bought our house for the relative absence of light pollution. We
wanted a home where we could observe without having to drive into the boonies.

Last night (Monday) around 9 pm (Central time zone), I noticed a bright white ball streak
across the sky. The ball was distinctly white, but the 'trail' it left was a bright green.
Did anyone else see this? Are there any resources to find out what this might have been? I
watch the meteor showers regularly, and have never seen one so big, and with such a bright
'head' and such a green trail. I am wondering what it was.

Any information would be appreciated.

Dee

Old July 30th 03, 07:28 AM
William R. Thompson

DeAnna wrote:

Last night (Monday) around 9 pm (Central time zone), I noticed a bright white ball streak
across the sky. The ball was distinctly white, but the 'trail' it left was a bright green.
Did anyone else see this? Are there any resources to find out what this might have been? I
watch the meteor showers regularly, and have never seen one so big, and with such a bright
'head' and such a green trail. I am wondering what it was.

Any information would be appreciated.

You might look at Alan Pickup's site:

http://www.wingar.demon.co.uk/satevo/current.htm

which has predictions for satellite re-entries. I'm not
sure that either of the two satellites with re-entry dates
close to 28 July are good candidates for your object.
The Ohsumi satellite is a fairly small object, unlikely
to put on a spectacular display, and I understand that
Molniya boosters commonly burn up over the southern Pacific.

It sounds like you may have seen a bolide--an unusually
bright meteor.

--Bill Thompson

Old July 30th 03, 03:34 PM
DeAnna

You might look at Alan Pickup's site:

http://www.wingar.demon.co.uk/satevo/current.htm

Thanks! Link saved!

It sounds like you may have seen a bolide--an unusually
bright meteor.

I had seen the rocket booster on another site, but nothing else in that approximate time
frame. This thing was just bigger, and brighter than any meteor I have ever seen! And the
contrast between the brightly glowing, pure white 'head' and the green trail was stunning.
Perhaps this is an omen that the Perseids will be especially spectacular this year
(moonlight considering...).

Thank you again!

Dee