30-yr no-all-Soyuz-rookies tradition -- NOT

Old October 13th 04, 10:46 PM
Jim Oberg

Default 30-yr no-all-Soyuz-rookies tradition -- NOT

AP: By VLADIMIR ISACHENKOV, Associated Press Writer
BAIKONUR, Kazakhstan - Smiling and confident, two Russians and an American
prepared for their first mission in a Russian Soyuz spacecraft - breaking
the nearly 30-year tradition of having at least one crewman with previous
experience in piloting the capsule.

--

Dear APspacers!

Hey, enough, already.

Malenchenko and Musabyaev blasted off for Mir in mid-1994. Neither had been
in space before. None was a veteran of a Soyuz mission, or a long-term space
station mission. The crew did very well.

The previous all-rookies case, Kovalyonok and Ryumin in late 1977, saw a
docking failure and emergency landing. Not auspicious.

And you may quote me.

Old October 13th 04, 11:06 PM
Jeff Findley

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message
AP: By VLADIMIR ISACHENKOV, Associated Press Writer
BAIKONUR, Kazakhstan - Smiling and confident, two Russians and an American
prepared for their first mission in a Russian Soyuz spacecraft - breaking
the nearly 30-year tradition of having at least one crewman with previous
experience in piloting the capsule.

--

Dear APspacers!

Hey, enough, already.

Malenchenko and Musabyaev blasted off for Mir in mid-1994. Neither had

been
in space before. None was a veteran of a Soyuz mission, or a long-term

space
station mission. The crew did very well.

The previous all-rookies case, Kovalyonok and Ryumin in late 1977, saw a
docking failure and emergency landing. Not auspicious.

And you may quote me.

So much for fact checking before releasing an article... You'd think that
such facts would be easy for any journalist to check, considering the "fact"
was of a non-technical nature.

Jeff

Old October 14th 04, 02:51 AM
Jim Kingdon

So much for fact checking before releasing an article... You'd think that
such facts would be easy for any journalist to check, considering the "fact"
was of a non-technical nature.

Sadly, "unprecedented" to a journalist seems to mean "I don't remember
it happening" or "It's been at least 2 or 3 years" or the like.

Now, I'll give them a bit of credit - checking such a fact is hard.
In the case of astronauts, you "only" have to look through the records
of a few hundred flights and people (which probably aren't *that* hard
to find, but not super-easy necessarily). In the case of other fields
it might be ever less clear where you'd start (did anyone ever attempt
to jump over a canyon in a rocketcar before Evel Knievel? Or some
such).

But they could just stop saying "unprecedented" all the time.
Old October 14th 04, 03:56 AM
Jim Oberg

Well, since I know that I often need a lot of help,
I'm only to happy to offer other folks help. And I
try to get more forgiving as I realize how much
forgiveness I turn out to need....

"Jim Kingdon" wrote

Old October 14th 04, 02:00 PM
Dale

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:06:45 -0400, "Jeff Findley"
wrote:

So much for fact checking before releasing an article... You'd think that
such facts would be easy for any journalist to check, considering the "fact"
was of a non-technical nature.

The BBC Online had an article last week (maybe it's still up) which
mentioned that Columbia's crew was killed by a fire onboard.

I suppose you can come up with a rationalization for saying that, but it
came across like the reporter must be recovering from a head injury or
something...

Dale