Neil Armstrong in Dublin

Old November 18th 03, 03:08 PM
David McArthur

Default Neil Armstrong in Dublin

To whoever provided the heads up on Mr. Armstrong's visit to Dublin,
my sincerest thanks. I managed to get a ticket and see the
interview/Q&A last night - it was a priveledge to be able to see him
in person.
A charming, gracious and obviously very shy/private man in front of
about 1,000 Dubliners who watched and listened as he retold probably
for the 10,000th time his memories of the moon landings.

Many thanks

David McArthur
Old November 18th 03, 04:06 PM
Gareth Slee

"David McArthur" wrote in message
om...
To whoever provided the heads up on Mr. Armstrong's visit to Dublin,
my sincerest thanks. I managed to get a ticket and see the
interview/Q&A last night - it was a priveledge to be able to see him
in person.

Is he visiting the UK?
Anyone have a schedule?

--
Gareth Slee

Alcohol and calculus don't mix
Never drink and derive

Old November 18th 03, 09:16 PM
Hallerb

Is he visiting the UK?
Anyone have a schedule?

When did he last appear in the US???
Old November 19th 03, 02:30 PM
David McArthur

"Gareth Slee" wrote in message ...
"David McArthur" wrote in message
om...
To whoever provided the heads up on Mr. Armstrong's visit to Dublin,
my sincerest thanks. I managed to get a ticket and see the
interview/Q&A last night - it was a priveledge to be able to see him
in person.

Is he visiting the UK?
Anyone have a schedule?

Gareth
Not sure - but I think the event was a one-off rather than part of a tour.
David
Old November 19th 03, 04:59 PM
Keith & Laura Koether

Jeff,
You must be in my neck of the woods. I saw that article last weekend and
thought the same thing about publicity. I would have been there if I'd have
known. By the way I'm in West Chester.

Keith Koether

"jeff findley" wrote in message
(Hallerb) writes:

When did he last appear in the US???

Not long ago he appeared at the dedication of a veteran's memorial in
Mason Ohio (five minutes from where I live). Unfortunately, there
wasn't any publicity before the event for Armstrong being there, let
alone giving a speech. Here's a story done by the Cincinnati Enquirer
(don't let the domain name fool you):

Mason dedicates memorial to U.S. veterans of 10 wars
http://www.enquirer.com/editions/200...masonvets.html

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.

Old November 19th 03, 06:19 PM
Andrew Gray

In article , jeff findley wrote:

alone giving a speech. Here's a story done by the Cincinnati Enquirer
(don't let the domain name fool you):

Mason dedicates memorial to U.S. veterans of 10 wars
http://www.enquirer.com/editions/200...masonvets.html

WRT the "domain name" comment, I ran across a lovely comment in a book
on Mars; it was mentioning Mariner 9, and an innocent young Welsh
geologist - somewhat, as you may guess, bemused by California - working
on it. One of the features they'd given a name to was some odd straight
lines on the southern cap, calling it the "Inca City"; late one night,
he got a phone call from a journalist asking if this was a real city.

Out of the question, he replied. The journalist kept prodding - well,
hypothetically, could there be a city under the icecap we can't see?
Eventually, he admitted that it was perhaps hypothetically possible that
there could be cities we couldn't detect on Mars, although it was
staggeringly unlikely, but it couldn't be *absolutely* ruled out.

But, you know, he wasn't too concerned about this. The journalist was a
nice guy, and the paper seemed prestigious - the US had a lot of papers,
there was no way he could know them all, but he'd encountered the
/Philadelphia Enquirer/, and it stood to reason the /National Enquirer/
was going to be an even more respectable journal...

--
-Andrew Gray

Old November 26th 03, 10:44 PM
Mjlw65

I'll second that David. I travelled from the midlands (UK) to see Neil, i
wasn't in Dublin more than 14 hours but it was well worth the hectic trip.
Definitely a once in a lifetime experience for those of us in the UK.