A limit on the presence of Earth-mass planets around a Sun-like star

Old December 17th 06, 01:14 PM posted to sci.astro.seti
Joseph Lazio

Default A limit on the presence of Earth-mass planets around a Sun-like star

In my perusing of astro-ph:

astro-ph/0610159

Title: A limit on the presence of Earth-mass planets around a Sun-like star
Authors: Eric Agol (University of Washington) Jason H. Steffen (Fermilab)
Comments: Accepted for publication in MNRAS. 16 pages, 9 figures
Report-no: FERMILAB-PUB-06-279-A-CD

We present a combined analysis of all publicly available, visible HST
observations of transits of the planet HD 209458b. We derive the times
of transit, planet radius, inclination, period, and ephemeris. The
transit times are then used to constrain the existence of secondary
planets in the system. We show that planets near an Earth mass can be
ruled out in low-order mean-motion resonance, while planets less than
an Earth mass are ruled out in interior, 2:1 resonance. We also
present a combined analysis of the transit times and 68 high precision
radial velocity measurements of the system. These results are compared
to theoretical predictions for the constraints that can be placed on
secondary planets.

--
Lt. Lazio, HTML police | e-mail:
No means no, stop rape. |

mass limit Jeremy Watts Misc 11 November 12th 06 01:01 AM
A ~ 7.5 Earth-Mass Planet Orbiting the Nearby Star, GJ 876 Joseph Lazio SETI 0 January 1st 06 02:58 PM
X-rays Signal Presence of Elusive Intermediate-Mass Black Hole Jacques van Oene News 0 April 30th 05 09:28 AM
Upper limit placed on star growth Stephen Tonkin UK Astronomy 0 March 10th 05 09:50 AM
Reaching Rayleigh Limit, Dawes Limit edz Amateur Astronomy 0 December 29th 03 05:55 PM