When Sirius Goes SuperNova

Old July 15th 18, 02:41 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

Default When Sirius Goes SuperNova

Only 8.611 LY distant. I think we'll be cooked, literally.

The Sun isn't massive enough, BUT will run out of nuclear fuel in a
few billion years, and swell to a red giant, and incinerate the Earth.

On these happy notes ...
Old July 15th 18, 02:46 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest[_2_]

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 8:41:35 AM UTC-5, casagi... wrote:
Only 8.611 LY distant. I think we'll be cooked, literally.

The Sun isn't massive enough, BUT will run out of nuclear fuel in a
few billion years, and swell to a red giant, and incinerate the Earth.

On these happy notes ...

Stars don't go supernova very often. Whenever they do we can usually see them even from as far away as distant galaxies.

Old July 15th 18, 03:00 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

Suggest you google supernova and read. It's the likely end game of any
star with enough mass.

On average, a supernova will occur about once every 50 years in a
galaxy the size of the Milky Way. Put another way, a star explodes
every second or so somewhere in the universe.
Old July 15th 18, 03:14 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest[_2_]

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 9:00:31 AM UTC-5, casagi.. wrote:
Suggest you google supernova and read. It's the likely end game of any
star with enough mass.

On average, a supernova will occur about once every 50 years in a
galaxy the size of the Milky Way. Put another way, a star explodes
every second or so somewhere in the universe.

A star going supernova every 50 years in a galaxy of 200 billion stars is not

very much. So the probability of Sirius going supernova is almost non-existent.

Old July 15th 18, 07:24 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

A star going supernova every 50 years in a galaxy of 200 billion stars is not

very much.

Well it's often enough to eat up all those stars in 4 billion years,
which is less than 1/3 of the time since the alledged big bang.

So the probability of Sirius going supernova is almost non-existent.

A supernova is a transient astronomical event that occurs during the
last stellar evolutionary stages of a star's life, either a massive
star or a white dwarf, whose destruction is marked by one final,
titanic explosion.

Sirius qualifies !
Old July 15th 18, 10:46 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 7:00:31 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Suggest you google supernova and read. It's the likely end game of any
star with enough mass.

On average, a supernova will occur about once every 50 years in a
galaxy the size of the Milky Way. Put another way, a star explodes
every second or so somewhere in the universe.

Unstable, ain't it!

Double-A