Telstar (pop music)

Old July 19th 14, 06:26 AM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Default Telstar (pop music)

About 50 years ago, Joe Meek wrote a hit about the satellite.
Those were the days of wonder.
People do not care about technology anymore.
Did anybody create a song about the iphone or bluetooth or DNA sequencing
et cetera?
Old July 19th 14, 12:21 PM posted to sci.space.history
Vaughn

On 7/19/2014 1:26 AM, wrote:
People do not care about technology anymore.

Nonsense.
Old July 19th 14, 10:18 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain[_4_]

Well as we approach the 52nd anniversary of Telstar, I give you a link to this wonderful Bell Labs AT&T documentary:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uKH-GijnAGk

I remember as a child being awakened from sleep late one evening, must have been in that summer of 1962, to watch a live television broadcast from France relayed by Telstar 1.

Dave

Oh and the song in question: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SQdDjy1UtW4
Old September 25th 14, 06:05 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_19_]

On Saturday, July 19, 2014 12:26:04 AM UTC-5, wrote:
About 50 years ago, Joe Meek wrote a hit about the satellite.

Those were the days of wonder.

People do not care about technology anymore.

Did anybody create a song about the iphone or bluetooth or DNA sequencing

et cetera?

....Jens beat me to the punch with his OMD - Orgasmal Misfirings from Dorks, IIRC - cites, but *all* of you have forgotten that about 80% of DEVO's catalogs of Hits and Misses over the past four decades and some change since Kent State have been about technology and/or DNA in some way, shape, form and/or satire. Forty years later, the Spuds are still trying to remind people how real deevolution is - just look at ~CT and bbo hallr if you're still not convinced, kids - and appear to be continuing to Stick the Poles in the Holes where applicable despite the departures/recyclings of both Bob 1 and Alan in just the past year or so.

Oh, and Jens? If you're into stuff like OMD, how the *frack* could you have forgotten something like Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me With Science"? Jeez, that was one of Saint Flannery's favorite songs, ferchrissakes!!!!

:OM:
Old September 26th 14, 07:04 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jens Schweikhardt

OM wrote
in :
# Oh, and Jens? If you're into stuff like OMD, how the *frack* could you have forgotten something like Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me With Science"? Jeez, that was one of Saint Flannery's favorite songs, ferchrissakes!!!!

Facepalm! Dolby is right behind my back on the CD shelf...My brain is
like a sieve, sometimes it's easier to forget. What can you do when
aliens steal your buick and the keys to her ferrari are nowhere?

May the cube be with you,

Jens, the Airhead.
--
Jens Schweikhardt http://www.schweikhardt.net/

Happy 50th Anniversary to Telstar Alan Erskine[_3_] History 2 July 11th 12 05:40 AM
TELSTAR! Marty Amateur Astronomy 12 December 17th 07 03:46 PM
WDC SI Launch Announcement 13304: Echostar 9 (Telstar 13) Dr. Edwin V. Bell, II News 0 August 13th 03 02:41 PM
Live coverage - webcast info for Echostar IX / Telstar 13 SeaLaunch on Aug 7 Rusty B Policy 0 August 5th 03 09:43 PM
Live coverage - webcast info for Echostar IX / Telstar 13 SeaLaunch on Aug 7 Rusty B History 0 August 5th 03 09:43 PM