Space Race Driven By The Nuclear Threat - Now A Mainstream Understanding

Old March 7th 12, 02:57 AM posted to sci.space.history
Dean

Default Space Race Driven By The Nuclear Threat - Now A Mainstream Understanding

On Mar 5, 4:25*pm, Brad Guth wrote:
On Mar 5, 1:09*pm, Dean wrote:

On Mar 2, 8:06*am, Fred J. McCall wrote:

Brad Guth wrote:
On Mar 1, 10:54*am, Stuf4 wrote:
From Fred J. McCall:

Stuf4 wrote:
From Fred J. McCall:
David Spain wrote:
Rick Jones wrote:
David Spain wrote:
Rick Jones wrote:
Sputnik was a hollowed-out nuclear weapon???

rick jones

Well it had the proper geometry...

A sphere was/is the proper geometry for the warhead on an ICBM?

Tisk, tisk; you said nuclear weapon, you did not say warhead....

;-)

And he certainly didn't say RV, which is something else again..

Seeing how spheres *were* used by the Soviet Union, I'd say that it is
a totally feasible geometry for the weapon, the warhead AND the RV.

I take it they don't let you do engineering or design work...

Open-minded thinkers who know what is feasible - instead of just doing
things out of habit - make better engineers and designers than those
who lack such attributes.

Of course, as is repeatedly demonstrated on this forum, there are many
who will not hold such a view. *It is FAR more comfortable to keep
one's thought processes so restrained as to remain well within the
confines of the perceived 'box'.

...and if anyone comes along to challenge limited thinking, do not so
much as peek outside your box, for therein lies the discomfort.

*truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong.."
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- Thomas Jefferson

(Well said, TJ.)

~ CT

Fred is master of his cozy box.

Fred wants all of us to fit into the exact same mainstream status-quo
box.

However, a large hollow sphere of plutonium is relatively harmless,
unless it contained a few tonnes of weaponized VX or something other
that's biologically lethal.

And this from the same man who raves about the dangers of MOX?

*only stupid."
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Heinrich Heine

Perhaps Brad would care to rub his hands over a plutonium sphere and
see if it has any ill effects on him.

A brief exposure isn't lethal or even all that problematic, as long as
you don't ingest any of it. It sure as hell isn't going to explode,
although it could be warm or even hot to the touch if there's enough
product density and mass to work with.

For example, use as a hollow but otherwise regulation mass (7.2 kg)
bowling ball would be doable, though I sure as hell wouldn't care to
sleep with it.

*http://groups.google.com/groups/search
*http://translate.google.com/#
*Brad Guth, Brad_Guth, Brad.Guth, BradGuth, BG / “Guth Usenet”

Have you ever been around plutonium? My guess is no.
Old March 7th 12, 09:30 AM posted to sci.space.history
B0b Mosley

On Feb 28, 3:25*pm, Stuf4 wrote:
It is refreshing to know that an accurate understanding of Space

....It is disgusting to know that after my being gone for almost two
years, you're *still* contaminating usenet with your CT Nutter drivel.
Can't you just ****ing *die* and put yourself out of our misery?

[shakes head in utter disgust]

OM
Old March 7th 12, 09:35 AM posted to sci.space.history
B0b Mosley

On Mar 1, 9:21špm, Fred J. McCall wrote:

Before you try 'logic', try 'reality'.

....C'mon, Fred. After all these years, we'd have better luck expecting
Chumpko to try logic, much less reality, and even much less admitting
either exist, before ~CT would even consider the attempt.

sigh âÏÌØÛÅ ×ÅÝÅÊ ÉÚÍÅÎÑÅÔÓÑ...

OM
Old March 7th 12, 02:36 PM posted to sci.space.history
Dean

On Mar 5, 1:09*pm, Dean wrote:

Perhaps Brad would care to rub his hands over a plutonium sphere and
see if it has any ill effects on him.

A brief exposure isn't lethal or even all that problematic, as long as
you don't ingest any of it. It sure as hell isn't going to explode,
although it could be warm or even hot to the touch if there's enough
product density and mass to work with.

For example, use as a hollow but otherwise regulation mass (7.2 kg)
bowling ball would be doable, though I sure as hell wouldn't care to
sleep with it.

Have you ever been around plutonium? *My guess is no.

He's actually right. *Pu isn't as dangerous as people seem to think.
The metal is pretty safe as long as *you don't do something silly like
light it on fire or grind and cut on it so that it produces dust that
you can inhale.

You can hold the stuff pretty much indefinitely, although I'd prefer
to be wearing latex gloves and have the Pu coated with mineral oil
just to make sure there's no dust or particles adhering to my hands
that I could transfer to my lungs.

It's amazing that even a Guthball can get something right once in a
while....

And before you ask, yes, I've been around the stuff.

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to
* * live in the real world."

Well Fred, that's just it. Plutonium is very reactive and by itself
will oxidize readily from atmospheric air and moisture. Your hands
would do an even better job. And as it oxidizes, it spalls off those
tiny little particles of PuO2 that when inhaled will end up killing
you. Plutonium is nasty stuff. No one in their right minds would
consider handling it as our resident Guthball says.
Old March 8th 12, 05:57 AM posted to sci.space.history
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Mar 5, 1:09*pm, Dean wrote:

On Mar 2, 8:06*am, Fred J. McCall wrote:

Brad Guth wrote:
On Mar 1, 10:54*am, Stuf4 wrote:
From Fred J. McCall:

Stuf4 wrote:
From Fred J. McCall:
David Spain wrote:
Rick Jones wrote:
David Spain wrote:
Rick Jones wrote:
[...]

What's your point, or what that another kosher fart?

Plutonium is a metal, isn't it?