found a 4.1 Kg chondritic meteorites; meteors create water wells on Mars and Moon??

Old May 9th 07, 06:58 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.astro,sci.physics
a_plutonium[_1_]

Default found a 4.1 Kg chondritic meteorites; meteors create water wells on Mars and Moon??

Up until today my biggest meteorite find was a 3.6 Kg chronditic
meteorite. Today I hit the jackpot of finds. I was
walking in the "debris field" when I noticed a small piece of rock
jutting out of the mud. We had a heavy rain
last week. And I tried pulling it out but had to get a shovel. And it
was the heaviest yet. It weighs 4.1 Kg and
has fusion crust on both sides. It is shaped like a very thick wedge
and has the volume of about a good sized
brick. But no brick weighs 4.1 Kg. But it has something that the other
finds do not
have as obvious and in plain view. It has shiny metal in the fusion
crust. It has alot of rust on it, indicating
much of the iron content is rusted. But it also has this shiny white
metal on the fusion crust. I think the metal is iridium for it is more
shiny than nickel.

I am having one sample tested for quartz. But with this find, I am 100
percent sure that these are meteorites.
Shiny white metal and a fusion crust and magnetic means meteorite.
Seeing the shiny white metal on
the fusion crust saves me the labor of slicing open one of these
samples to prove it is a meteorite.

So in total, I have about 10 to 15 Kg of chondritic meteorites.

And I have an interesting question about meteorites for geologists. A
question that very much may
have relevance to water on Mars or the Moon. I am a bit hesitant to
ask this question as it would
reveal the site where I am finding these meteorites, but knowledge and
understanding are more important
than my greed to own meteorites.

I have found these meteorites near a artesian water well. At first I
thought someone transported those rocks
to the water well. But later, as I found more pieces in a debris field
in a radius around the water well and
small fragment pieces, I realized these were not transported to the
site but that they were naturally there.
And with this latest rock proving that they are indeed meteorites,
which brings me to the question.

Can a large enough meteorite create a artesian water well?

The huge meteor crater in Arizona, (Barringer if my memory of names is
correct), did it cause a water source
within that crater? Is there an artesian water source in that Arizona
crater?

Has anyone found meteors connected to artesian water flows?

If true, let me try to give a mechanism of how a meteor strike can
create a artesian water well. At the point
of impact there would be a small mountain or central ridge. So the
flow of underground water would then be focused
to this central-ridge? I do not fathom how it could do that. I would
need evidence that artesian water wells exist
where other meteorite strikes occurred. Is there a physics explanation
as to why a meteorite strike would
change the flow of underground water??

If true, then a good place to look for water on Mars or Moon would be
at a large meteor crater center. Where
the underground water flow is diverted to the crater center. Sort of
like, metaphorically, a meteor-water-
fountain.

Perhaps it is just coincidence that the artesian well is nearby where
a meteor strike occurred.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old May 11th 07, 04:16 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.astro,sci.physics
Finhead

"a_plutonium" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

NO

Is there an artesian water source in that Arizona
crater?

NO.

Has anyone found meteors connected to artesian water flows?

NOT ONE PERSON HAS EVER.

Old May 13th 07, 11:12 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.astro,sci.physics
a_plutonium[_1_]

Default meteorites create a Artesian Spring; best place to look on Mars and Moon found a 4.1 Kg chondritic meteorites

Last time I wrote about the meteorites I found, I mentioned that they
were near a artesian spring. I may have
called it a "well" instead of a spring but it is a spring.

Anyway, it looks like a meteorite of sizable impact can easily form a
Artesian Spring as supporting evidence
is large.

Here is a Google search for "meteorite artesian spring"

JSTOR: The Origin of the Carolina Bays
The meteorite hypothesis proposes that a shower of meteorites fell on
dry ... of the basins are advanced: updip migration of the artesian
spring in response ...
links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0016-7428(194304)33%3A2%3C341%3ATOOTCB
%3E2.0.CO%3B2-1 - Similar pages - Note this
Bottled Water | Artesian, Mineral, Spring, Sparkling, Well
In the early days of the water industry, "mineral water" and "spring
water" ... must be produced from an artesian well. To be an artesian
well the water in ...
geology.com/articles/bottled-water.shtml - 25k - Cached - Similar
pages - Note this
Lake
Tswaing is the only example of a lake occupying a meteorite impact
crater in ... In addition, a few species of diatoms inhabit the
artesian spring with its ...
www.nfi.org.za/Tswaing/Lake.htm - 14k - Cached - Similar pages - Note
this
:: ALBERTS FARM IS ONLY ARTESIAN SPRING IN GAUTENG ::
GAUTENG has a single artesian spring - on Alberts Farm in Albertskroon
in ... The dome is a vast basin formed when a meteorite hit the earth
some two ...
www.joburg.org.za/2005/sep/sep19_albert.stm - 45k - Cached - Similar
pages - Note this
Uncategorized | TDG - Science, Magick, Myth and History
Meteorite bolsters theory of how Earth got its evolutionary building
blocks ANNE MCILROY ... Subaerial hypotheses include artesian spring
sapping (Toumey, ...
http://www.dailygrail.com/taxonomy/t...rn.com?page=26 - 77k -
Cached - Similar pages - Note this
The Carolina Bays
Many geologists of the day were still taught that Meteor Crater in the
Arizona ... 53) Johnson envisioned a vast series of artesian springs
from which water ...
www.georgehoward.net/cbays.htm - 58k - Cached - Similar pages - Note
this
[PDF]
1183.pdf
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Geological scheme of Arkhys meteorite crater regions [1]. ... IO-
Inclination and overturned beds, II - Epicentre of gravianomaly, I2 -
Artesian springs. ...
www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/LPSC99/pdf/1183.pdf - Similar pages - Note
this
[FLASH]
West Hemisphere MER-B OPPORTUNITY LOCATION: MER-A SPIRIT East ...
File Format: Shockwave Flash
.... can also be made from ice heaving, and even by artesian spring
deposits. ... HOLDEN CRATER Meteorite ALH 84001 is one of the oldest
Martian meteorites. ...
www.nmnaturalhistory.org/marsmer/expmars.swf - Similar pages - Note
this
Fall 2003 meeting abstracts, Georgia Southern University, Geology ...
The case for a Vesta-HED meteorite connection has a firm mineralogical
foundation. ... This research is significant since artesian springs
have not been ...
cost.georgiasouthern.edu/geo/Fall2003meetings.html - 35k - Cached -
Similar pages - Note this

--- end Google hit list ---

Now, what I have to figure out is how the physics of the impact
creates a Artesian Spring.

There is a large clay deposit about 4 feet down and many feet thick.
So I think a clay deposit has some
role in forming a Artesian Spring when the meteorite hits.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old May 16th 07, 08:19 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.astro,sci.physics
a_plutonium[_1_]

Today is my lucky day. By the way, does anyone know of some ancient
folklore or superstitution about finding
meteorites in different cultures? What did the ancient Greeks or
Romans think when they found a meteorite?
Did they think it would bring a good life?

Anyway, today I was walking in that meteorite debris field and found
another rock just slightly peering out of
the mud which appeared to have a fusion crust. So I dug it up; washed
it off and took it home for testing.
I test mostly for density and magnetism. If neither dense nor a small
magnetic attraction then I dismiss
the piece. Recently I found a glassy meteorite with only a slight
magnetic attraction so if I find a ever so
small magnetic attraction then I consider it a meteorite. I know of no
other rocks except iron ore rocks that
have a slight magnetic attraction. And I found this rock to be
magnetic, however it is a small magnetism. And
it is very dense. And about 2 months back I had found a large rock
that had no magnetism but dense and
thought it was not a meteorite. But after testing this smaller rock
for slight magnetism I reopened the case
for the larger rock. I found a spot on the larger rock that was
slightly magnetic. So I concluded that both
were meteorites.

Here is a description of both these rocks:

Meteorite A: weighs 2.7 Kg and measures 12cm X 9cm X 7 cm and is wedge
shaped. The surface is smooth
and looks granular with white and light green granular over 1/2 the
surface and a black-brown fusion crust
over the other 1/2 of the surface. Eye magnification of the surface
reveals many specks of a white shiny
metal. I see no "thumbprints". Slight and small magnetism in a certain
spot.

Meteorite B: weighs 6.4 Kg and measures 18cm X 12cm X 12cm and is also
wedge shaped. The surface
is very smooth except for what appears to be a few cracks. No
thumbprints. No fusion crust. And the total
surface looks dark green. Under magnification the surface reveals many
speck like particles and many specks
of shiny metal. The magnetism is better on this rock than rock A but
it is not as magnetic as many of my
other finds for which a magnetic sticks fast to the surface. Here the
magnet simple is deflected when swung
near the surface.

I found B in the Artesian Spring water itself and may explain the
smooth surface and no fusion crust as the
water flow would have eroded the surface. I found A in the mud near
the water flow and could also explain
the smooth surface as caused by erosion.

If all of these are meteorites, what is beginning to confuse me, is
can you have such a variety of meteorites
all in one debris field? Can you have chondrule meteorites and glassy
meteorites and these smooth granular
meteorites all in one meteor impact? From my many searches on the Web,
noone addresses the issue
of variety of meteorites all in one strike event? So can you have this
diversity of meteorites in one fall event?

And what is this green color all about?

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old May 16th 07, 10:26 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.astro,sci.physics
a_plutonium[_1_]

a_plutonium wrote:
(snipped)

If all of these are meteorites, what is beginning to confuse me, is
can you have such a variety of meteorites
all in one debris field? Can you have chondrule meteorites and glassy
meteorites and these smooth granular
meteorites all in one meteor impact? From my many searches on the Web,
noone addresses the issue
of variety of meteorites all in one strike event? So can you have this
diversity of meteorites in one fall event?

And what is this green color all about?

I should call it a strewnfield, not a debris field. But I looked up
the Kansas meteorite
strewnfield and it has a diverse variety of meteorites from pallasites
to stony iron to
almost pure iron. It is claimed that a truck sized asteroid hit Kansas
in the Brenham
region about 2,000 years ago.

Now here in South Dakota near Vermillion it was reported that in 1952
in Centerville a meteorite
went through the roof of a building. So I wonder if mine are connected
to that 1952 fall.

As for the green, both light green and dark green on two of my
meteorites (if they are meteorites) is
olivine mineral, something that is found rarely on rocks on the
surface of Earth because it is mantle rock.
So if I truly have two rocks of olivine, it is more likely they are
meteorites rather than mantle rocks finding
their way to the surface. Is there an easy test for olivine?

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old May 16th 07, 07:00 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.astro,sci.physics
a_plutonium[_1_]

Default my pallasites compared to the Brenham Kansas pallasites found a 2.7 & 6.4 Kg meteorites today

a_plutonium wrote:
a_plutonium wrote:
(snipped)

[...]

My two pallasites look like the picture of this Kansas pallasite:

http://www.geotimes.org/jan06/NN_Brenhammeteor.html

Only mine are very much more fine-grained and one is very green. The
other
is mostly whitish with light green with a fusion crust.

I am guessing that mine are less dense than the Brenham pallasite. My
2.7KG is the
size volume of a quart yogurt container. And judging from the picture
above, mine
would be less dense. Perhaps it is because mine is more olivine and
less metal, which
is confirmed by the fact that mine is only slightly magnetic. I am
guessing the
Brenham is largely magnetic as that is how the hunters found it by
magnetic detectors.
I doubt my rocks would set off a magnetic detector as it only slightly
deflects a magnet.

Perhaps, just maybe, my meteorites are not with the 1952 Centerville
South Dakota fall
but perhaps mine are connected with the Brenham fall. Maybe what fell
in Kansas, part
of the event ended up here in South Dakota.

Now I wonder if there are Artesian Springs in that Kansas vicinity of
the Brenham meteorite
strikes? Are there more artesian springs where the meteorites are
found than other outlying
areas of Kansas? Because I have the notion that if a meteorite strikes
an area with underground
water, that it has the proclivity of forming a Artesian Spring.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old May 17th 07, 08:24 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.astro,sci.physics
a_plutonium[_1_]

Default Native American involvement with my meteorite finds found a 2.7 & 6.4 Kg meteorites today

Now I read somewhere that Native Americans often looked for meteorites
to make tools because of the iron
content is of a iron that does not rust easily and thus a tool crafted
from iron nickel meteorites held an edge.

So one can visualize Native Americans saving meteorites for tools. And
possibly explain my meteorite finds.
In that the most recent were these two pallasites weighing 2.7 and 6.4
Kg with their very fine grained and smooth
surface that I could picture them using those olivine meteorites to
pound and grind grain and other foodstuffs.
And thus explain why those meteorites are so smooth. And why they are
shaped in a form as to be a tool.

And this would explain why the meteorites are found at the Artesian
Spring, is not because the Fall event
occurred at the Spring but that Native Americans frequented the Spring
and camped there and used
those meteorites as tools having gathered the meteorites elsewhere.

Trouble with that picture is that I collected a large bottle of small
meteorites in early spring this year from
the adjacent farm field which had been plowed. And I found these
meteorites of about the size of my thumb
nail on the top of the dirt which the underlying dirt had been blown
away or eroded away. Which tells me that
next year as the farmer plows the land, that more of these meteorite
fragments will be pushed to the surface
and wind erosion will make them stick out. So this tells me that
Native Americans did not bring these
meteorites to this site but that it was a natural Fall event.

Whether the meteorite created the Artesian Spring is unknown to me.
But perhaps Native Americans came
into this area and found some of those meteorites and used them as
tools.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old May 22nd 07, 09:11 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.astro,sci.physics
a_plutonium[_1_]

Default My meteorites came from Vesta asteroid? So far my total meteorite recovery approaches approx 50 Kg of material; how much mass to reshape geography

--- quoting from http://www.psrd.hawaii.edu/PSRDglossary.html#E

Eucrite: A common class of achondrite meteorites composed of pigeonite
and plagioclase. These
meteorites formed as basaltic flows on a parent body, probably
asteroid 4 Vesta.
--- end quoting

I find it remarkable that a meteorite here on Earth can be assigned
with some assurance to a astro
body. That if all my meteorite finds are eucrite and basaltic would
have likely come from Vesta.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old May 22nd 07, 09:30 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.astro,sci.physics
a_plutonium[_1_]

Default radioactive aluminum-26 possibly in my samples My meteorites came from Vesta asteroid?

http://www.solarviews.com/eng/vesta.htm

According to that website, my meteorites, if eucrites and from Vesta,
may contain radioactive aluminum-26.
Perhaps I should be more careful in washing my hands after handling my
meteorites.

Amazing how a small rock like Vesta could have ever had a magma. One
would think only planet sized objects
can have magmas.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old May 23rd 07, 08:16 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.astro,sci.physics
a_plutonium[_1_]

Default perhaps mine is related to the 1933 Sioux County, NE eucrite meteorite My meteorites came from Vesta asteroid?

I was searching for information on eucrite meteorites and found this
page:

--- quoting from http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1984LPI....15..603N

Molybdenum in Eucrites, New Evidence for a Metal Core in Vesta
(eucrite Parent Body) Authors:
Newsom, H. E. Affiliation:
AA(MAX-PLANCK-INSTITUT FUR CHEMIE,
--- end quoting

It cited a eucrite meteor of "Sioux County" and found it to be a
Nebraska meteorite that fell in
year 1933. Of course this county is on opposite sides of the state
from Vermillion South Dakota
but it is known that that strewnfield of a meteor event can be a
distance apart. So maybe mine
are connected to the 1933 event.

If mine turn out to be genuine eucrite meteorites from Vesta, then
mine maybe contain molybdenum
and radioactive aluminum. Now I wonder if I can test for radioactivity
of a meteorite by placing unexposed
photograph film underneath? A repeat experiment of Becquerel 1896 in
which he discovered radioactivity.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium