Big Temprature

Old February 20th 04, 12:26 PM
SomeOne

Default Big Temprature

Hi
what it says that the temperature when bigbang happened was 100 million
trillion trillion degrees , but the temperature is caused my random
movements and colliding of particles. if space it self was created by
bigbang, there should not have been much space to accumulate all those
particles that too created cause of BB, so

my question is
where does such a high temp came from, or energy what ever you call it .

my second question is
What triggered BB to happen, why was it so unstable in which ever form he
was.

Old February 23rd 04, 04:44 AM
J. Scott Miller

The big bang models start as initial conditions high temperatures simply because
the physics leads us to that conclusion if we follow the expansion backwards in
time. And it does not address the cause of the initial expansion.

For a summary of what it does say, you might pick up a good elementary-level
textbook or visit Ned Wright's cosmology tutorial and FAQ:

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmolog.htm

Old February 24th 04, 10:12 PM
Keith Harwood

SomeOne wrote:

Hi
what it says that the temperature when bigbang happened was 100 million
trillion trillion degrees , but the temperature is caused my random
movements and colliding of particles. if space it self was created by
bigbang, there should not have been much space to accumulate all those
particles that too created cause of BB, so

my question is
where does such a high temp came from, or energy what ever you call it .

A photon is a particle of light. Light has wavelength. The shorter the
wavelength the more energetic the photon. When the universe was young it
was very small and there wasn't any room for long wavelength photons so all
the photons had to be extremely short wavelength and therefore extremely
energetic.

my second question is
What triggered BB to happen, why was it so unstable in which ever form
he was.

Best answer so far is that nothing triggered it. Uncaused events occur all
the time around us. They are very hard to see because of the uncertainty
principle, but sometimes, as with the Casimir effect, they can be measured.
However, the more energetic the event the less likely it is to happen.
Events big enough for the big bang don't occur often enough for us to
investigate them in detail easily. (like once in 1,400,000,000 years.)

Another way to look at it is to compare the big bang with the north pole. At
the north pole every direction is south, but nothing strange is going on;
all the laws of physics work just the same as everywhere else. At the big
bang, every direction is future, but again nothing strange is going on. If
every direction is future then there isn't any past so nothing can trigger
the BB.

When the universe was really, *really* young those photons I mentioned were
so energetic that their energy density was enough to fold space around
themselves to create black holes, so that space is broken up into a sort of
froth. It's at this point that scientists say that the laws of physics
might be operating normally, but we don't know what those laws are.

Keith Harwood.
Old February 24th 04, 10:28 PM
Igor

"SomeOne" wrote in message ...
Hi
what it says that the temperature when bigbang happened was 100 million
trillion trillion degrees , but the temperature is caused my random
movements and colliding of particles. if space it self was created by
bigbang, there should not have been much space to accumulate all those
particles that too created cause of BB, so

my question is
where does such a high temp came from, or energy what ever you call it .

my second question is
What triggered BB to happen, why was it so unstable in which ever form he
was.

Imagine all the matter in the universe distributed as a uniform gas.
Now continue to shrink the size of the universe so that density and
pressure will increase. Temperature will increase as well until it's
one very dense and hot place. Now imagine all that in reverse and
you've roughly got an idea of of post BB universe after a certain
finite but very small amount of time.

As far as what triggered the BB, who really knows? All we can say is
that events can be extrapolated back to a very dense and very hot
small universe in the far distant past. Before a certain epoch,
however, we have very little to go on. Most of what is usually said
regarding that time is subject to much speculation and educated
guessing.
Old February 28th 04, 11:23 PM
Christopher M. Jones

(Igor) wrote in message . com...
Imagine all the matter in the universe distributed as a uniform gas.
Now continue to shrink the size of the universe so that density and
pressure will increase. Temperature will increase as well until it's
one very dense and hot place. Now imagine all that in reverse and
you've roughly got an idea of of post BB universe after a certain
finite but very small amount of time.

Actually, not that small a time. The amount of matter
in the entire universe is, suffice it to say, rather
large. And according to big bang theory it was
smashed into a near infinitessimal space at one point.
Even at the size of, say, our entire Solar System,
all that mass crammed in there is rather a high
density. The energy density at that point was so
great in fact that atoms did not even exist. Atoms
are a low energy state, they represent a trough in
configurations and energies that particles settle
into. When you pump up the temperature and increase
the "ambient available energy level" eventually
you'll reach a state where there's so much energy
going around that atoms simply can't help but be
continuously bumped up to high energy states where
some of their electrons are constantly stripped off,
this is an ionized plasma. Go to higher temperatures
yet and you strip off all the electrons off all atoms
all the time. But atomic nuclei are low energy
configurations too. Go to even higher temperatures
and atoms start to fall apart. Go to even higher
temperatures and even *protons* fall apart. You
can go to even higher temperatures but it gets
pretty crazy.

Current estimates are that the Universe took about
300,000 years too cool to the point where atoms
formed, though it took only a few moments to cool
to where nuclei could form.

Here's a decent overview:
http://www.kheper.net/cosmos/universe/universe.htm