Fire Ant problem

Old July 23rd 03, 01:06 PM
bwhiting

Default Fire Ant problem

Luckily up here in Canada we don't have them - just West Nile infected
mosquitos on the Eastern Provinces.

Milton Aupperle
www.outcastsoft.com

And don't forget SARS up in Toronto...and I don't know about
Lyme disease...just had a mild case of that here in Erie, out on Presque
Isle Peninsula. (From a deer tick bite).
TW.

Old July 27th 03, 03:25 AM
Len Philpot

Milton Aupperle wrote:
Luckily up here in Canada we don't have them - just West Nile infected
mosquitos on the Eastern Provinces.

Move to Louisiana - We have both! ;-\

I've seen various approaches, including :

* Something called DIY - It's a liquid that when poured on the mound,
forms a heavier-than-air gas that drops into the hill and kills them

* What we use - Regular old orange-bagged Spectracide far-aint (as they
say down here) killer.... Just pour in on the hill and it's dead the
next day

* I used to work with a fellow who heard somewhere that you should fight
fire ants with fire ants. He took a shovelful of one hill and dumped
it on another one, hoping they'd all kill each other. They just joined
up... apparently he didn't have rival gang ants.

Then, about twice a year or so, it's love bug season... Whew! Glad
they're slow, don't bite and don't stink! Otherwise, we'd have a REAL
problem for a couple of months! I've gone as far as patrolling the house
(inside) with a ShopVac, sucking them right out of the air while they're
flying around, connected at the posterior...

--

-- Len Philpot --
-- http://philpot.org/ --