Time Travel

Old August 4th 04, 03:23 PM
Lloyd Jones

Default Time Travel

Old August 5th 04, 09:05 AM
nightbat

nightbat wrote

Lloyd Jones wrote:

nightbat

Subject answer: Yes Jones, it takes time to travel in whichever
direction or deduce ETA, next question.

the nightbat

Old August 5th 04, 10:26 AM
Lloyd Jones

Just wondering what people think about it.

LJ

Old August 5th 04, 01:14 PM
Algomeysa2

"Lloyd Jones" wrote in message
Just wondering what people think about it.

LJ

impossible.

At least in the standard H.G. Wells type backward and forward time machine.

Periodically when I see people try to argue that time travel is possible,
they seem to really be talking about time dilation. They're still
going along the flow of time, just slower than everyone else. That's
probably possible, if you can approach lightspeed, or slingshot around a
blackhole, or some such thing.

But unless you can put it in reverse and end up at last Tuesday, it's not
really time travel. And that's not possible.

Old August 5th 04, 02:04 PM
nightbat

nightbat wrote

Lloyd Jones wrote:

Just wondering what people think about it.

LJ

nightbat

It is a violation of cause and effect, of causality non real
world premise in reference theoretically to reversing the arrow of time
to prevent or effect past cause. As applied forward, it is a relative
frame dependent one and possible to save task or event taking time by
increasing ones momentum by natural or artificial means, better task
handling, use of time saving devices, tapping other entity labor
(mental-physical) versus ones own, relative to normal time dependent,
observed or known particular taking motion. The successful freezing and
thawing of a specimen body, within limits back to normal active vivo,
natural or man made unsuccessful cryogenics, would still not permit
reverse time travel but permits extreme seasonal temperature stress
abeyance, or overriding, and allowing normal time percentage cellular
activity hibernation, or slow down of negative in normal time
degenerative effect. The clock applied frame would observe physical or
cellular slow down for the subject specimen and march on normally for
everything else not low temperature preserved.

the nightbat

Old August 5th 04, 02:28 PM
Double-A

"Lloyd Jones" wrote in message ...
Just wondering what people think about it.

LJ

There used to be speculation that one could move backward and forward
in time by moving in the vicinity of a naked singularity, the
singularity being exposed to the universe its extreme spin.

Don't hear too much about that anymore.

Double-A
Old August 5th 04, 03:11 PM
Wall E Gator

"Lloyd Jones" wrote in message
Just wondering what people think about it.

LJ

We don't know time as a physical medium that we can move freely within like
our three dimensional world.
The only source of times existence we know, is we mark it's passage by a set
of parameters determined by the rotation of the earth.

So we can mark times passage and record events that happened, but until we
discover the actual medium that it exists in, we can only watch time slip
by.

---

Old August 5th 04, 06:08 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message k.net,
Algomeysa2 writes
"Lloyd Jones" wrote in message
Just wondering what people think about it.

LJ

impossible.

At least in the standard H.G. Wells type backward and forward time machine.

Periodically when I see people try to argue that time travel is possible,
they seem to really be talking about time dilation. They're still
going along the flow of time, just slower than everyone else. That's
probably possible, if you can approach lightspeed, or slingshot around a
blackhole, or some such thing.

But unless you can put it in reverse and end up at last Tuesday, it's not
really time travel. And that's not possible.

Actually, one of the embarrassing things about relativity is that it
does allow time travel. There's a huge literature on things like closed
time-like curves. Granted, some of the equations require things like a
rotating universe, which doesn't apply to ours, but there are others.
--
What have they got to hide? Release the Beagle 2 report.
Old August 5th 04, 10:07 PM
Paul Lawler

"Lloyd Jones" wrote in message
Just wondering what people think about it.

Into the future, yes.

Into the past, no.

Old August 5th 04, 10:47 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message .net, Paul
Lawler writes
"Lloyd Jones" wrote in message
Just wondering what people think about it.

Into the future, yes.

Into the past, no.

There's an article at
http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/C/closed_timelike_path.html
with some very interesting internal links.
I'd never heard of a Gott Loop or a van Stokum Cylinder, though it's
actually the device in Larry Niven's "Rotating Cylinders and the
Possibility of Global Causality Violation" and Poul Anderson's "The
Avatar". "Rotating Cylinders..." is a paper by Frank Tipler, so the
question might be "does he cite van Stokum ?" (who published in 1937)

The point of all this is that people found very early that relativity
does allow travel into the past.