Best DSLR for Astrophotography?

Old November 20th 12, 02:13 AM posted to sci.astro
Bernard Isker

Default Best DSLR for Astrophotography?

What do people think about which DLSR is best? I have read the Canon EOS
60Da is made for amateur astronomers and is the new equivalent Olympus OM -1
for those old enough to remember film. The H-Alpha response is the clincher
here but if you want to use it for normal photography you have to tweak the
images with photoshop or equivalent as I understand it.

Which DSLR has the physically largest sensor / # pixels? Seems this would be
the clincher for FOV. How about pixel size for Canon / Nikon top of the line
DSLR's. By binning pixels can you set the size of the pixel to the scope
resolution. Any winners there?

Is Nikon a contender? Any one else who makes DSLR's to consider?

How about weight, reliability, ease of use etc.

I have not seen a comparison of DSLR's for astrophotography that take into
account all of these factors.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Old November 20th 12, 11:19 PM posted to sci.astro
William Hamblen[_2_]

On 2012-11-20, Bernard Isker wrote:
[...]

The 60Da is intended for astrophotography, but is supposed to be OK for
pictorial photography. There's been a review in S&T. Companies will
modify cameras to replace the minus-red filters in stock dSLRs to increase
sensitivity to 656 nm wavelength light.

There are "full frame" dSLRs with 36x24mmm sensors, the same as a 35mm
film frame and "cropped frame" dSLRs with sensors about 1/3 smaller in
linear dimensions. The full-frame models are pricey.

DSLRs don't do binning.

I use a Nikon because it is what I have. I did not buy it specifically
for astrophotography, but for "normal" photography. It does OK. A
friend uses a Pentax.

For specifications, look on the camera makers' web sites.

Bud