"Nazis Run Our Space Program" -- Peace Activist Bruce Gag-Me

Old March 6th 05, 07:55 AM
Henry Spencer

Greg D. Moore \(Strider\) wrote:
...A bounty is *not* a bribe, Chris. The difference between a bounty
and a bribe is that usually the bribe is under the table.

The other difference is a bounty tends to be on something you can only pay
once. i.e. the capture of a criminal, etc.
A bribe is often "don't do x" so you have to keep paying them to continue
keeping them from doing x.

Only if you're stupid enough not to realize where that leads. Skillfully
applied bribes are paid in return for the doing of specific favors, and
any followup is conditional on results.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old March 6th 05, 08:14 AM
Mike Flugennock

"Nathan Gant" wrote:

:Bruce has perfectly rational objections about launching plutonium in
:rockets.

Speaking as a member of the peace activist community -- and a rather
embarassed member, at that -- I still couldn't understand this guy's
objections. Cassini gave us, what, however-many pounds less Pl on the
Earth to fall into the hands of some bozo like Hussein or Putin or Bush,
and more compelling photos and scientific discoveries than we can shake a
stick at? Sounds like a total win-win.

I mean, how could this guy complain about Pl being _removed_ from the
Earth? Granted, the amount of Pl aboard Cassini isn't much compared to all
the Pl available on Earth, but it's a good start (****, man; launch it
_all_, works for me, get it the hell outta here). And, besides, what's to
pollute? The thing was going to _Saturn_ f'crissakes; it's an outer-system
gas giant. _Nothing_ lives there.

I think his main problem was that a) he hadn't done his homework on how
RTGs work and how they're contained (hint: they didn't launch it in one
big raw chunk duct-taped to the spaceframe), and b) he probably got scared
to death watching that Russian Mars probe not only fail its TMI burn, but
fall out of LEO as well.

--
"All over, people changing their votes,
along with their overcoats;
Old March 6th 05, 09:25 AM
OM

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 03:14:27 -0500, (Mike
Flugennock) wrote:

I mean, how could this guy complain about Pl being _removed_ from the
Earth?

....Easy. Like any other unwashed treehugging radical commie hippie
pervert, all he has to do is to part his beard and open his swear
hole, and out comes the drivel.

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for |
http://www.io.com/~o_m

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old March 6th 05, 09:29 AM
OM

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 05:38:30 GMT, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

The other difference is a bounty tends to be on something you can only pay
once. i.e. the capture of a criminal, etc.

A bribe is often "don't do x" so you have to keep paying them to continue
keeping them from doing x.

....Something I forgot to also point out is that bribes are usually
individual-specific, whereas bounties are usually open to any and all
who think they've got the balls and the skills to carry out the task.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old March 6th 05, 12:34 PM
Paul F. Dietz

Mike Flugennock wrote:

I mean, how could this guy complain about Pl being _removed_ from the
Earth? Granted, the amount of Pl aboard Cassini isn't much compared to all
the Pl available on Earth, but it's a good start (****, man; launch it
_all_, works for me, get it the hell outta here).

The Pu (note correct symbol) used in Cassini was manufactured specifically
for the purpose of fueling RTGs (or the smaller radioisotope heating units).
Making it reduced the amount of neptunium(*) we had sitting around, but
didn't consume weapons-related plutonium or Pu in other spent fuel elements.

(*) Pu238 is made by purifying Np237, then exposing it to neutrons
in a special reactor, transmuting it to Np238 which decays to Pu238.

Paul
Old March 6th 05, 06:31 PM
Ed Kyle

Henry Spencer wrote:

There was a time when it probably wouldn't have taken much to make Ho

Chi
Minh an ally rather than an enemy, if the idiots in Washington had

been
able to see beyond that awful C-word and treat it as a practical

problem
rather than an ideological one.

Add in the complication that Ho Chi Minh asked
for U.S. assistance when he was preparing to
fight against post WWII reoccupation by
*France*, a U.S. ally (at the time). Ideally,
France wouldn't have screwed the Indochina
situation up to begin with by bowing out of
Colonial mode gracefully.

- Ed Kyle

Old March 7th 05, 03:54 AM
Scott Hedrick

"Mike Flugennock" wrote in message
I think his main problem was that a) he hadn't done his homework on how
RTGs work and how they're contained (hint: they didn't launch it in one
big raw chunk duct-taped to the spaceframe

No, that dipship spends way too much time contaminating the University of
Florida- he has done his homework, but using real, verifiable data instead
of hysterical handwaving doesn't bring in donations or get the publicity
necessary for those donations.

I've seen him speak, and while I heard the words, I didn't hear the
sincerity.

Old March 7th 05, 11:16 AM

Henry Spencer wrote:

The SS rank was bestowed on him by Himmler, probably in a bid to gain more
influence over the V-2 project. WvB appears to have been embarrassed
about it, and reportedly never wore the uniform. But one did not refuse
an honor offered by Himmler...
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |

He wore it on one occasion - when Himmler visited Peenemunde.
There's a picture in The Rocket and the Reich by MJ Neufeld.

--
================================================= ======================

Michael Morton | Everything is linear if plotted on
School of Computer Sciences | log-log with a fat magic marker.
University of East Anglia, Norwich |
http://www2.cmp.uea.ac.uk/~mtm/work2/
================================================= =======================

Old March 7th 05, 02:26 PM
Fred J. McCall

Pat Flannery wrote:

:If they were ever to stop imports to the United States, our economy
:would collapse overnight; they have driven so many of our domestic
:manufactures out of business that we rely on them completely for all
:sorts of goods that we simply don't manufacture in the U.S. anymore, nor
:have the ability to quickly restart the manufacture of.

Preposterous! There would be some mild inflationary pressures in some
segments (but not much - as you mention, we don't compete in those
segments) and various minimum wage clerks might get laid off due to
lack of merchandise.

Just what do you think we're going to suffer a lack of that will cause
our economy to "collapse overnight"? Our imports from China are
primarily low-priced consumer goods. Chinese imports amount (using
American accounting methods) to some $125 billion. Now compare that
amount to the overall size of the American and Chinese economies and
figure out who gets hurt worse when it stops.

Total US IMPORTS amount to some $1.76 trillion. Chinese goods make up
less than 10% of our imports. On the other hand, we are their largest
export market.

Yes, it seems obvious that China imposing an embargo on the US would
cause a national economy to implode, all right. It just wouldn't be
ours.

territory."
--G. Behn