Notice Regarding Web-Page Libel

Old August 19th 03, 02:50 PM
John Maxson

Default Notice Regarding Web-Page Libel

Chuck Stewart, Jon Berndt, and Roger Balettie have libeled,
defamed, and misrepresented me here, both before and after
reading a borrowed copy of my book. Jon and Roger have
willfully gone well beyond USENET trashing by creating web
pages which have maliciously misrepresented the contents of
my book. They have collaborated with each other in an effort
to disseminate false attributions regarding my book worldwide.
Jon has distorted statements made by my expert witnesses.

They continue to raise loaded questions here about my book,
questions which they should know the answers to from reading
my book. They totally ignored expansive portions of my book
when they placed on the web what they refer to as "review" of
my book. Roger claims to be correcting my "misconceptions;"
but he does so with unsworn "counterpoint," not evidence.

Let Roger Balettie and Jon Berndt be on notice that until such
time as they retract their formal misrepresentation of my book,
they should not expect their continued mistreatment of me to
go without USENET retaliation, at least until a better method
of defense and retaliation becomes available to me. After all,
they started their conflict right here in sci.space.shuttle.

--
John Thomas Maxson, Retired Engineer (Aerospace)
Author, The Betrayal of Mission 51-L (www.mission51l.com)

Old August 19th 03, 08:54 PM
K, T, E & N

Default Take it to alt.flame

I'm really tired of your whining.

Old August 19th 03, 09:44 PM
John Maxson

You must have a short fuse; your first post was on 2/3/03.

I've been getting libeled in sci.space groups since 10/1/2000,
months before I ever posted. I find the web-page libel by far
the most damaging. I would never lower myself to using a
web page for the purpose of libeling a forcefully-retired author.

Roger Balettie and Jon Berndt should be ordered to pay for
the damage they've done to the distribution of my book.

Old August 20th 03, 02:31 AM
Scott M. Kozel

"John Maxson" wrote:

[...]

Translation: Those posters have published some very solid material that
has firmly refuted JTM's STS-51L conspiracy theories, and JTM is lashing
out in rage and frustration, knowing that be blew it.

..
Old August 20th 03, 03:06 AM
Jon Berndt

"John Maxson" wrote:

Jon has distorted statements made by my expert witnesses.

Remember Pappy?

No, I believe John Maxson has misrepresented the statements of expert
witnesses. Before using a quote one must understand the meaning behind it,
and where applicable, the science behind it.

They continue to raise loaded questions here about my book,

Loaded questions, yes - but he keeps shooting back with blanks (evasions,
stick figures, etc.).

Let Roger Balettie and Jon Berndt be on notice that until such
time as they retract their formal misrepresentation of my book,

I believe I speak for both of us when I say that if you can show us where we
are wrong we will be more than happy to make any corrections.

Scott Kozel added:

Translation: Those posters have published some very solid material that
has firmly refuted JTM's STS-51L conspiracy theories, and JTM is lashing
out in rage and frustration, knowing that be blew it.

That was my take, as well. I'm sorry for his financial situation, but the
truth is the truth, and financial hardship should not be a motivation for
writing a book such as The Betrayal of Mission 51L. If the truth is pointed
out and it contradicts "Betrayal" and curtails sales, that's not injurious
to the author, but a service to the public. In truth, there might have been
a story there, but it would be one of stupidity - not conspiracy, of
embarassment - not cover-up, of miscommunication, not an intentional crime
of omission. The portrayal of an SRB crossing in the conflagration, and RCS
jet firings, and the portrayal of many facts as fabrications poison the book
as a whole, and I feel it paints John Maxson as an angry man searching for
vengeance and vindication - not truth.

Jon

Old August 20th 03, 12:09 PM
OM

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:31:46 -0400, "Scott M. Kozel"
wrote:

"John Maxson" babbled like the senile troll he is:

Let Roger Balettie and Jon Berndt be on notice that until such
time as they retract their formal misrepresentation of my book,
they should not expect their continued mistreatment of me to
go without USENET retaliation, at least until a better method
of defense and retaliation becomes available to me. After all,
they started their conflict right here in sci.space.shuttle.

Translation: Those posters have published some very solid material that
has firmly refuted JTM's STS-51L conspiracy theories, and JTM is lashing
out in rage and frustration, knowing that be blew it.

....And I do believe we need to forward this particular threat to his
ISP. If this isn't a confessional that he's aware he's using usenet to
abuse people, then Cheech & Chong are lesbians.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old August 21st 03, 12:27 AM
Terrence Daniels

"Jon Berndt" wrote in message
I believe I speak for both of us when I say that if you can show us where

we
are wrong we will be more than happy to make any corrections.

This reminds me: I was thinking today on the drive to work that I ought to
put together a webpage-slash-essay on the subjects of what really
constitutes libel, slander, abuse, and fair criticism. I'd like to link this
to the scientific method, addressing the issues of who is responsible for
providing "proof" of theories when something is presented, and how honest
criticism is not necessarily something to be sued out of existence, but is
in fact a necessary part of the scientific "peer review" process. I'd like
to learn about these legal issues myself since I see some key words being
tossed around a lot here (libel, defamation, etc.) and as a service for
people reading this NG who might not be familiar with the concepts of peer
review and burden of proof.

Old August 21st 03, 12:53 AM
Roger Balettie

"Terrence Daniels" wrote:
I'd like
to learn about these legal issues myself since I see some key words being
tossed around a lot here (libel, defamation, etc.) and as a service for
people reading this NG who might not be familiar with the concepts of peer
review and burden of proof.

Sounds like a good idea, Terrence... go for it.

Roger
--
Roger Balettie
former Flight Dynamics Officer

Old August 22nd 03, 02:44 AM
Steve Leyland

:
: They continue to raise loaded questions here about my book,
: questions which they should know the answers to from reading
: my book. They totally ignored expansive portions of my book
: when they placed on the web what they refer to as "review" of
: my book. Roger claims to be correcting my "misconceptions;"
: but he does so with unsworn "counterpoint," not evidence.
:
: Let Roger Balettie and Jon Berndt be on notice that until such
: time as they retract their formal misrepresentation of my book,
: they should not expect their continued mistreatment of me to
: go without USENET retaliation, at least until a better method
: of defense and retaliation becomes available to me. After all,
: they started their conflict right here in sci.space.shuttle.

jeez, what planet are you on?
USENET retaliation??
LMFAO.

--
Steve Leyland
mhm32x16 Smeeter#35

=^MEOW MEOW ARMY^=

A. Top-Posters

"Warning to all:
Steve Leyland is a trolling **** of the highest order. Killfile the muppet
now and move on. Even the briefest of searches on his past UseNet posts
will reveal the truth. You have been warned. *plonk*"

******* Bear, uk.rec.motorcycles
"This sig is an abomination of all that is good and right about usenet.
Do the entire world a favor and REMOVE YOURSELF FROM USENET ALTOGETHER,
DUMBASS."

miguel, soc.singles
"I went to the Garden of Love,
And saw what I never had seen;
A Chapel was built in the midst,
Where I used to play on the green.

And the gates of this Chapel were shut
And "Thou shalt not," writ over the door;
So I turned to the Garden of Love
That so many sweet flowers bore.

And I saw it was filled with graves,
And tombstones where flowers should be;
And priests in black gowns were walking their rounds,
And binding with briars my joys and desires."

William Blake.
"Until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is
finally and permanently discredited and abandoned; until there is no longer
any first-class and second-class citizens of any nation; until the color of
a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; until
the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all, without regard to
race -- until that day, the dreams of lasting peace and world citizenship
and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion,
to be pursued but never attained."

Haile Sellassie.
"First they came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up, because I
wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up,
because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't
speak up, because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that
time there was no one left to speak up for me."

Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945
"When the Earth has been ravaged and the animals are dying, a tribe of
people from all races, creeds and colours shall put their faith in deeds,
not words, and make the land green again. They shall be known as Warriors
of the Rainbow, protectors of the environment."

Native American prophecy

|\ _.-'~~""'~`'~)
/, ~-,__,,,.'~ ,-;;--''
|,4) ./ ' ; ;/'
'-~~;'@ ( ; ;
_.--'' _.-_..' .;.'
(,_..----''' (,..--''

Meow

Old August 22nd 03, 07:30 AM
Kent Betts

John Maxson wrote:
: Chuck Stewart, Jon Berndt, and Roger Balettie have libeled,
me here,

You guys have a difference of opinion.

Jon and Roger have
maliciously misrepresented the contents of
: my book.

Nah.....they have tried to figure out what the book said. Your writing style is
obtuse.

They have collaborated to disseminate false attributions
regarding my book worldwide.

Mental picture of heated discussion in Kuala Lumpur.

: They continue to raise loaded questions here about my book,
: questions which they should know the answers to from reading
: my book.

Dunno what to say about this. They are sorry *******s, I guess. I mean, in all
this time they have not contributed anything you would call useful. That is
quite an accomplishment.

Roger claims to be correcting my "misconceptions;"
: but he does so with unsworn "counterpoint," not evidence.

Evidence....there is that word again. Would you feel better if Balletie swore
an affidavit before a notary that he thinks your book is mostly wrong, and his
reasons? That would make you happy, right? I mean, you'd have him nailed,
right? He would be on the hook. Twisting in the wind. A sitting duck for a
civil suit. As it is he is a malicious, lying coward who hasn't earned the
right to question the facts and the evidence in your scrupulously researched,
conclusive, and convincing book about what really happened to 51L.Bibliophiles
will spit on the carpet each time his name is uttered.