Newbie questions

Old October 11th 03, 03:54 PM
Josh Gregorio

Default Newbie questions

Hello,

I have a Meade 4500 on an Equatorial mount. The eye pieces I have are a
10mm and a 25mm, both from an old Orion 60mm refractor (They are listed
as 'Kellner' eye pieces in the manual). I have been thinking about
upgrading to a set of Plossl eyepieces, probably from Orion. Their
"Sirius Plossl" set has 10, 17, and 26mm pieces for about $115.00. The
"Hilight Plossl" set has the same sizes at an [alleged ] higher
quality for $144.00. Will plossl eye pieces make a big difference in
seeing? Are they worth the investment?

I notice also that for not too much money I can get an 8" scope on a
Dobsonian mount (hardin optical or orion). I have been using an
equatorial mount. Is it difficult to keep objects in view with a
dobsonion mount? It doesn't look like there are any fine controls for
moving the scope.

Thanks,

Josh

Old October 12th 03, 01:34 AM
Bobsprit

I notice also that for not too much money I can get an 8" scope on a
Dobsonian mount (hardin optical or orion). I have been using an
equatorial mount. Is it difficult to keep objects in view with a
dobsonion mount? It doesn't look like there are any fine controls for
moving the scope.

Nope, no controls...just your fingers and it's a total drag at higher powers,
especially swapping views with a friend when an object is flying out of view.
Been there, done that.
I have used both types and a motor driven EQ is far easier to use, but plenty
of Dob owners will stand on their heads to say different. Best suggestion is to
visit a club/star party and judge for yourself.
An 8-10 inch scope of good quality is an ideal size for a long term scope. All
of that said, I do like the Orion dobs with the plug and play computer systems.

Good luck,

Capt RB

Old October 12th 03, 11:50 PM
Tim Longwell

"Josh Gregorio" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a Meade 4500 on an Equatorial mount. The eye pieces I have are a
10mm and a 25mm, both from an old Orion 60mm refractor (They are listed
as 'Kellner' eye pieces in the manual). I have been thinking about
upgrading to a set of Plossl eyepieces, probably from Orion. Their
"Sirius Plossl" set has 10, 17, and 26mm pieces for about $115.00. The
"Hilight Plossl" set has the same sizes at an [alleged ] higher
quality for $144.00. Will plossl eye pieces make a big difference in
seeing? Are they worth the investment?

Hi Josh Yes you will get some very nice views from the Sirius Plossl
Eyepieces. Several in our local Club own them and they are a good eyepiece
value. If you lean toward High magnification, the Expanse sets is a worthy
investment as well for a tight astronomy budget.

--
Clear and Dark Skies for all!

_________________________
Tim Longwell

Black River Astronomical Society
http://junior.apk.net/~arstar50/BlackRiver.index.html
_________________________

Old October 13th 03, 12:51 AM
Starstuffed

If you lean toward High magnification, the Expanse sets is a worthy
investment as well for a tight astronomy budget.

I agree. At less than $50 each, these are incredible eyepieces. I have the
6mm Expanse and plan to give myself the 9mm for Christmas.

Anyone interested can check them out at www.telescope.com

Martin

Anyone interested can check them out at www.telescope.com

Martin