Pictures of Moon's Surface.

Old October 8th 03, 10:12 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Default Pictures of Moon's Surface.

From Earth and with the nice 8" armature telescopes own by millions of
armature astronomers do they take pictures of the Moon? When I was a
kid I made a 4" telescope,and went to my roof and just looked at the
Moon,every night all summer long. I was hoping to see a new crater. It
never happened. Can I ask has there been any new creates on the Moon"s
surface in the last 60 years? Bert

Old October 8th 03, 10:38 PM
Ugo

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
From Earth and with the nice 8" armature telescopes own by millions of
armature astronomers do they take pictures of the Moon? When I was a
kid I made a 4" telescope,and went to my roof and just looked at the
Moon,every night all summer long. I was hoping to see a new crater. It
never happened. Can I ask has there been any new creates on the Moon"s
surface in the last 60 years? Bert

There have undoubtedly been many craters created in the past years, but all
of them are too small to be resolved from Earth. As a matter of fact on
November 15, 1953 Dr. Leon Stuart observed what is believed to be an actual
meteor impact event on the Moon. Recently I've read they've indeed
positively identified the crater created by the impact from high resolution
Moon satellite data (could be Clementine, but don't take my word for it).
Perhaps someone might have a bit more info on this?

--
The butler did it.

Old October 9th 03, 12:04 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

(G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote in
:

From Earth and with the nice 8" armature telescopes own by millions
of
armature astronomers do they take pictures of the Moon?

Well amateur astronomers do. (Not sure about armature ones though). The
pictures are often featured in Sky and Telescope and Astronomy magazines
and there are plenty of websites out there. Here's an example which you
could have found yourself faster than you typed out you query:

http://users3.ev1.net/~glennlray/Astro/moon.html

Learn to use Google.

When I was a
kid I made a 4" telescope,and went to my roof and just looked at the
Moon,every night all summer long. I was hoping to see a new crater. It
never happened. Can I ask has there been any new creates on the Moon"s
surface in the last 60 years? Bert

None large enough to be seen from Earth. There would be plenty of small
ones.

Llanzlan.

Old October 9th 03, 08:32 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Ugo
writes
"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
From Earth and with the nice 8" armature telescopes own by millions of
armature astronomers do they take pictures of the Moon? When I was a
kid I made a 4" telescope,and went to my roof and just looked at the
Moon,every night all summer long. I was hoping to see a new crater. It
never happened. Can I ask has there been any new creates on the Moon"s
surface in the last 60 years? Bert

There have undoubtedly been many craters created in the past years, but all
of them are too small to be resolved from Earth. As a matter of fact on
November 15, 1953 Dr. Leon Stuart observed what is believed to be an actual
meteor impact event on the Moon. Recently I've read they've indeed
positively identified the crater created by the impact from high resolution
Moon satellite data (could be Clementine, but don't take my word for it).
Perhaps someone might have a bit more info on this?

I'm fairly sure the "1953" crater has been identified in photos taken
before then, so it's no longer a good candidate, but IIRC Lunar Orbiter
imaged the crater produced by one of the Ranger probes. The
high-resolution cameras planned in the next few years should be able to
image the Apollo Saturn IV-B impact craters.
--
"It is written in mathematical language"

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Astronomy Misc 15 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
significant addition to section 25 of the faq heat Astronomy Misc 1 April 15th 04 01:20 AM