Televue on ebay

Old August 28th 03, 04:20 AM
Doogie Hoosier

Default Televue on ebay

Starting price seems okay, but I'm suspicious. I don't know exactly why.
Old August 28th 03, 05:26 AM
Al

"Doogie Hoosier" wrote in message
m...

Starting price seems okay, but I'm suspicious. I don't know exactly why.

Your suspicious and you don't know why, but the starting price seems okay?
So why are you writing to the world with completely unfounded suspicions?
Have you considered that you may be hurting this seller?

Okay, let's see what we've got...

This seller has been selling on ebay for about 3 years. In that period of
time, he has 284 POSITIVE feedbacks with all of them giving praise to this
seller. Not one negative feedback in all 284! (Do you know how difficult
it is to accomplish this?) And please don't tell me he has 284 shills.

This is not to say you shouldn't be careful when spending a large sum of
money...of course you should be. However, you have several courses of
action if you are interested in this auction...

*You could telephone the buyer (his number is available through eBay).
*You could buy ONLY if seller permits an escrow-type payment.
*You could ask him to email more pictures (if this would help you).
*You could ask him if you can visit before auction ends to see the auction
items. (Even if you have no intention of making the trip, his (the seller)
response would be very telling.

In the meantime, I believe you should exercise a bit more care about a
fellow who may be a perfectly honest seller.

Al

Old August 28th 03, 05:45 AM
Mick

"Doogie Hoosier" wrote in message
m...

Starting price seems okay, but I'm suspicious. I don't know exactly why.

The display is an excellent example of the price of high-end backyard
astronomy...and its not even an aperture scope...I just can't imagine why
some nucklehead, even with money to burn, would bother with such an outfit.
Is wide field with average resolution of power-mate induced magnification
worth all that??? The guy finally figured out that NO..it isn't...now he's
stuck with a white elephant. Also I don't believe the seller mentions the
product by name do they?..TV 102? what? how old?

Old August 28th 03, 05:58 AM

On 27 Aug 2003 20:20:26 -0700, (Doogie Hoosier)

Starting price seems okay, but I'm suspicious. I don't know exactly why.

Doesn't look suspicious. I'd ask any seller of a telescope to send
me a picture of the objective though.
-Rich

Old August 28th 03, 10:24 PM
Al

Doogie,

At the risk of starting something, which I don't want to do, I still believe
you're wrong. See my comments below:

"Doogie Hoosier" wrote in message
m...
"Al" wrote in message

et...
"Doogie Hoosier" wrote in message
m...

Starting price seems okay, but I'm suspicious. I don't know exactly

why.

Your suspicious and you don't know why, but the starting price seems

okay?
So why are you writing to the world with completely unfounded

suspicions?
Have you considered that you may be hurting this seller?

I do believe I said the suspicion was "unfounded," more or less. But,
being suspicious, should I have said nothing?

Exactly, you should have said nothing! Look at it this way...

Suppose I just met you and I had the feeling that you looked like a child
molester. Would I be justified in voicing that opinion on a public forum?

Have I hurt this
seller, by letting thousands of SAA members know of his auction? You
tell me.

You hurt him by letting thousands of SAA members know that you don't trust
him, and by suggesting that the seller may be crooked. Please understand
that it's okay to do this, but when your suspicions are based on nothing
concrete, it's NOT okay.

Okay, let's see what we've got...

This seller has been selling on ebay for about 3 years. In that period

of
time, he has 284 POSITIVE feedbacks with all of them giving praise to

this
seller. Not one negative feedback in all 284! (Do you know how

difficult
it is to accomplish this?) And please don't tell me he has 284 shills.

Positive feedback means nothing.

Strange, positive feedback means a lot to me and to most people who use
eBay.

Especially if they are all for
buying. Very few of that person's feedback ratings are for sales, and
apparently many (perhaps all) of them are small items--like books.
Exactly the way a theif would build up good feedback for the big-kill.

You have no way of knowing whether the positive feedback is for a sale or a
buy unless it says so. A few of them do say so, but the others say nothing.

This is not to say you shouldn't be careful when spending a large sum of
money...of course you should be. However, you have several courses of
action if you are interested in this auction...

*You could telephone the buyer (his number is available through eBay).
*You could buy ONLY if seller permits an escrow-type payment.
*You could ask him to email more pictures (if this would help you).

Yes, you could do all those, and you would, if you were suspicious, or
just being careful. I hope you don't think you're telling me
something I don't already know.

But you were suspicious...you even said so. So why did you not check it out
for yourself before you condemned him?

*You could ask him if you can visit before auction ends to see the

auction
items. (Even if you have no intention of making the trip, his (the

seller)
response would be very telling.

The *only* way I'd give that much money to a stranger is in person,
suspicious or not.

In the meantime, I believe you should exercise a bit more care about a
fellow who may be a perfectly honest seller.

Al

In the mean time, if I just mentioned the auction at SAA, *somebody*
would criticize me for linking to a *suspicious* auction.

This is my point...what was suspicious about the auction. In your own words
you said "I don't know."

Al

As you can
see, I am not the only one who would be cautious. And yes, he might
be a "perfectly honest* seller. And he might not. I have never seen
that many positive feedbacks without a single bad one. Even a
well-intentioned seller is going to come across a buyer who wants an
ounce of gold thrown in for free.

But that's not the reason I am suspicious--as I said, I don't know
exactly why I am suspicious, and being suspicious, it would be wrong
for me to mention the auction at SAA without advising caution. I
thought that I did so in the least denigrating way I could.

Maybe I should compose a song declaring the unknown seller's virtue?

Doug Hosey

Old August 29th 03, 12:05 AM
Joe S.

Well, it's gone. As of 1900 EDST 8/28, it was purchased for $4,500.00 using
buy it now.

So, 'fess up -- who did it?
--

----