Rover on the LEM?

Old February 4th 08, 11:15 PM posted to sci.space.history
Agent Smith

Default Rover on the LEM?

How did they get the lunar rover onto the LEM? From what I know, the space
on that thing was so cramped that Neil and Buzz had to stand up for three
days straight.
Old February 4th 08, 11:23 PM posted to sci.space.history
Damon Hill[_4_]

Agent Smith wrote in
. 33.102:

How did they get the lunar rover onto the LEM? From what I know, the
space on that thing was so cramped that Neil and Buzz had to stand up
for three days straight.

The rovers were stored on the lower lander portion of the LEM, folded up
against the side. Most of the equipment the astronauts used on the surface
was stored that way, more or less at waist level while standing on the
lunar surface.

--Damon
Old February 4th 08, 11:44 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rupert Goodwins

On Feb 4, 11:23 pm, Damon Hill wrote:
Agent Smith wrote 5.33.102:

How did they get the lunar rover onto the LEM? From what I know, the
space on that thing was so cramped that Neil and Buzz had to stand up
for three days straight.

The rovers were stored on the lower lander portion of the LEM, folded up
against the side. Most of the equipment the astronauts used on the surface
was stored that way, more or less at waist level while standing on the
lunar surface.

--Damon

You can see a time-lapse video of the Apollo 15 rover being deployed
from the base of the LEM at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-M5r2OKPNk
- it's rather like an Ikea flat-pack wardrobe being assembled by
Buster Keyton,

Rupert
Old February 4th 08, 11:44 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 23:15:45 GMT, Agent Smith
wrote:

How did they get the lunar rover onto the LEM? From what I know, the space
on that thing was so cramped that Neil and Buzz had to stand up for three
days straight.

It was folded up and stowed in the Descent Stage of the LEM (LM), in
one of the sections between the four legs.

They strung hammocks to sleep on.

Brian
Old February 5th 08, 12:25 AM posted to sci.space.history
Val Kraut

Actually one guy slept on the floor the other guy on the Ascent Engine
cover. The Rovers were stowed on the descent stage with scientific
equipment. LM-10 and sub had the stretched Descent propellant tanks to
handle the extra weight. And it was cramped - Armstrong busted the Ascent
engine circuit breaker taking his PLSS back pack off.

. 33.102...

Old February 5th 08, 03:06 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Agent Smith" wrote in message
. 33.102...

How did they get the lunar rover onto the LEM? From what I know, the
space
on that thing was so cramped that Neil and Buzz had to stand up for three
days straight.

The rover was stowed on the descent stage, just as other surface experiments
and surface equipment were stowed there. It wasn't in the pressurized upper
stage since that had to be as light as possible to get the astronauts back
into lunar orbit for pickup by the CSM.

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein

Old February 5th 08, 09:15 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

I hopt that the new Altair is being designed with such problems in
mind. Is a new lunar rover being designed? I haven't heard anything
about it, if one is.
Old February 6th 08, 01:33 AM posted to sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 13:15:35 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I hopt that the new Altair is being designed with such problems in
mind. Is a new lunar rover being designed? I haven't heard anything
about it, if one is.

No money to do much with the moon missions yet. After 2012-13, we'll
start hearing about Altair and the lunar infrastructure, assuming it
survives that long.

Brian

Old February 6th 08, 04:35 AM posted to sci.space.history
Val Kraut

NASA JSC recently released photos of a lunar vehicle prototype they built.
JPL has a 5 legged spider like arrangement they're pushing for lunar
mobility, and the Glenn center had plans for a rover and some study
contracts in-place. Actually there's alot of studies and planning for lunar
surface systems going on inside NASA at this point. NASA JSC just released
the first BAA to seek Industry help in the lander design. Companies like
Caterpillar are also working the surface mobility problem.

wrote in message
I hopt that the new Altair is being designed with such problems in
mind. Is a new lunar rover being designed? I haven't heard anything
about it, if one is.

A lunar rover [email protected] Policy 19 August 30th 05 07:45 PM
Like Rover, Like Asteroid Ron Astronomy Misc 2 October 21st 04 01:03 PM
Like Rover, Like Asteroid Ron News 0 October 15th 04 11:52 PM
Raw rover images Matt Giwer SETI 4 February 8th 04 07:30 AM
Fetch, Rover, Fetch! You control the Mars Exploration Rover Software -- Freeware Tom Amateur Astronomy 9 January 6th 04 12:36 PM