ASTRO: IC2177

Old November 28th 06, 12:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: IC2177

The seagull's head. Seems to have both reflective and emission
characteristics. Needed a lot more time but with clouds I needed three
nights just to get this much. Didn't help that my filter wheel isn't
returning the lum filter to the same position each time screwing up my
flats. Had to fix some misalignment with the clone tool. Any ideas why
it would do this? Other filters weren't a problem.

14" LX200R @ F/10, 6x5 lum, 3x5 RGB, STL-11000, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IC2177_6x5L_3x5RGB.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	179
Old November 28th 06, 06:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: PK223-2.1

I found I have a sort of mystery object in the seagull picture posted
earlier. This is a 3x blowup of the right lower center part of the
previous image with PK223-2.1 circled. While most PK objects are
planetaries and several of my catalogs so list it as one, it is listed
by SIMBAD as "not a planetary" though they don't classify it further and
by Kohoutek as a possible HII region. NED doesn't seem to know it
exists. It is red in color as an HII region would be. In some ways it
looks like a very faint, small version of the Crescent Nebula so could
it be due to a Wolf-Rayet star? It seems to have a "central star" of
the right type. Here's a candidate for one of Richard's super long
narrow band shots. I'll try again if the snow ever stops.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PK223-21_6x5L_3x5RGB.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	180
Old November 28th 06, 10:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Beautiful picture Rick. Not an easy target for us in the north - I never
even tried it as I don't like to image below the celestial equator.

Stefan

Old November 28th 06, 11:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I'm at 47.08 north and usually stop at -10 which is just about this
guy's declination. Between trees and clouds I didn't get much lum data
and even less color. Also due to clouds I used only 5 minute frames
(unguided so the guider didn't go on a hunt for the guide star when a
cloud went by). I've got the mount to where it tracks very well binned
2x2 for 5 minutes. Longer and I see some elongation which seems
dependent on outside temp. I think the temp changes my polar alignment
slightly so 5 minutes is my limit for now. That combination just under
exposed it. I'd like to go back for PK223-2.1 in the frame. It is
really faint in this version.

But for now it is raining or snowing -- can't make up its mind and by
the time it clears the moon will be big and bright. But it is an HII
region so will try the H-alpha filter.

Rick

Old December 1st 06, 02:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

......by SIMBAD as "not a planetary" though they don't classify it further
and
by Kohoutek as a possible HII region. NED doesn't seem to know it
exists. It is red in color as an HII region would be. In some ways it
looks like a very faint, small version of the Crescent Nebula so could
it be due to a Wolf-Rayet star? It seems to have a "central star" of
the right type. Here's a candidate for one of Richard's super long
narrow band shots. I'll try again if the snow ever stops.

Rick,

I don't know if you have this link, but here's Kohoutek's latest
Planetary Neb data:
http://www.hs.uni-hamburg.de/DE/Ins/...xt1/node5.html

NED only has info on stuff outside the galaxy and more and more listings
of objects are only to be found in Journal articles.

George N

Old December 1st 06, 03:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:

"Rick Johnson" wrote

......by SIMBAD as "not a planetary" though they don't classify it further
and
by Kohoutek as a possible HII region. NED doesn't seem to know it
exists. It is red in color as an HII region would be. In some ways it
looks like a very faint, small version of the Crescent Nebula so could
it be due to a Wolf-Rayet star? It seems to have a "central star" of
the right type. Here's a candidate for one of Richard's super long
narrow band shots. I'll try again if the snow ever stops.

Rick,

I don't know if you have this link, but here's Kohoutek's latest
Planetary Neb data:
http://www.hs.uni-hamburg.de/DE/Ins/...xt1/node5.html

NED only has info on stuff outside the galaxy and more and more listings
of objects are only to be found in Journal articles.

George N

Yes I had that link, Table III, misidentified planetaries, was the one
listing this guy as an HII region I mentioned in the post.

Rick