ASTRO: B33 Taken in my sleep

Old November 29th 06, 01:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: B33 Taken in my sleep

George wrote:

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

Another required object for a newbie to this digital stuff is the
Horsehead. Last night it was clear though seeing wasn't all that good.
I started a series of 3, 30 minute H-alpha shots and went to bed. I
spent all day yesterday stacking many cords of wood and was beat. This
morning I calibrated the images, did a median combine then moved the
image into Elements v1. It doesn't have the power of Photoshop so I
just hit auto levels and saved the result. That's the extent of the
processing! The results so shocked me I quit right there except to
reduce it by one third to hide the lousy seeing. I never came close to
this in my film days. Then I spent hours hunched over a guiding
eyepiece and more hours in the dark room trying to get something for my
efforts. This I did in my sleep and with the couple mouse clicks on the
computer this morning. Technology is amazing! NGC 2023 is just
appearing at top left center of the image.

14" LX200R @ F/10, 3x30 minutes 6nm H-alpha filter, binned 2x2,
STL-11000M, Paramount ME

Rick

Amazing image, Rick.

George

Thanks,
Rick

Old November 29th 06, 01:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Thanks, I just wish I could do a tenth as well on the sun as you do.

Rick

Excellent Rick. Very fine detail on the horse. Clear Skyz, LA

----

Old November 29th 06, 10:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Aidan Karley[_3_]

In article , Rick Johnson
wrote:
Now I really do astronomy while I sleep! I'll not try it
while driving however.

You don't want to astronomise while driving? But why not? It's
such fun putting your head out of the window trying to see the auroral
display, while also trying to get to the airport on time.

--
Aidan Karley, FGS
Aberdeen, Scotland

Old November 30th 06, 01:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Aidan Karley wrote:
In article , Rick Johnson
wrote:

Now I really do astronomy while I sleep! I'll not try it
while driving however.

You don't want to astronomise while driving? But why not? It's
such fun putting your head out of the window trying to see the auroral
display, while also trying to get to the airport on time.

Not while sleeping!
Rick