MSNBC (Oberg) - Deadly space lessons go unheeded

Old February 27th 05, 03:25 AM
Eric Chomko

Michael Kent ) wrote:
: In sci.space.policy Eric Chomko wrote:

: Britain, yes. How much from the other countries? And where is Spain now?
: It has to do with numbers. Kerry was right when he stated that we have 90%
: of the tropps and materiel in Iraq. If that isn't just about the same as
: unilaterally, then I don't know what is.

: That's because the USA is essentially the only country in the world that
: *can* project that kind of power halfway around the world. Britain and
: France can do it to a much lesser extent, but hardly anyone else can.

So? That is WHY we should do it?

: There was a report circulating among military circles a few months ago
: that concluded that, apart from Britain and the USA, the entire rest of
: NATO combined could only deploy 10-15,000 troops overseas. Even then
: they would have to rely on the USA or Britain for intelligence, com-
: munications, transportation, and resupply.

: The USA may make global operations look easy, but hardly anyone else can
: do it at all.

Again, big deal. Beacuse we can, means we should?

Eric

: Mike

: -----
: Michael Kent Apple II Forever!!
: St. Peters, MO
:
Old March 13th 05, 12:55 AM
Michael Kent

Michael Kent ) wrote:

: In sci.space.policy Eric Chomko wrote:

: Britain, yes. How much from the other countries? And where is Spain now?
: It has to do with numbers. Kerry was right when he stated that we have 90%
: of the tropps and materiel in Iraq. If that isn't just about the same as
: unilaterally, then I don't know what is.

: That's because the USA is essentially the only country in the world that
: *can* project that kind of power halfway around the world. Britain and
: France can do it to a much lesser extent, but hardly anyone else can.

So? That is WHY we should do it?

You asked why we were carrying the bulk of the load. I answered that it
was because we and Britain were virtually the only ones who could carry
any kind of load at all. Neither the question nor the answer has anything
to do with why we should do it.

: There was a report circulating among military circles a few months ago
: that concluded that, apart from Britain and the USA, the entire rest of
: NATO combined could only deploy 10-15,000 troops overseas. Even then
: they would have to rely on the USA or Britain for intelligence, com-
: munications, transportation, and resupply.

: The USA may make global operations look easy, but hardly anyone else can
: do it at all.

Again, big deal. Beacuse we can, means we should?

If it needs to be done, and it does, we are the only ones who can, so we
must.

Mike

-----

Old March 14th 05, 08:59 PM
Eric Chomko

: Michael Kent ) wrote:

: : In sci.space.policy Eric Chomko wrote:

: : Britain, yes. How much from the other countries? And where is Spain now?
: : It has to do with numbers. Kerry was right when he stated that we have 90%
: : of the tropps and materiel in Iraq. If that isn't just about the same as
: : unilaterally, then I don't know what is.

: : That's because the USA is essentially the only country in the world that
: : *can* project that kind of power halfway around the world. Britain and
: : France can do it to a much lesser extent, but hardly anyone else can.

: So? That is WHY we should do it?

: You asked why we were carrying the bulk of the load. I answered that it
: was because we and Britain were virtually the only ones who could carry
: any kind of load at all. Neither the question nor the answer has anything
: to do with why we should do it.

But you fail to answer why WE are the 'cops of the world'. See Phil Ochs
for lyrics to the song "Cops of the World".

: : There was a report circulating among military circles a few months ago
: : that concluded that, apart from Britain and the USA, the entire rest of
: : NATO combined could only deploy 10-15,000 troops overseas. Even then
: : they would have to rely on the USA or Britain for intelligence, com-
: : munications, transportation, and resupply.

: : The USA may make global operations look easy, but hardly anyone else can
: : do it at all.

: Again, big deal. Beacuse we can, means we should?

: If it needs to be done, and it does, we are the only ones who can, so we
: must.

Says you. If we weren't doing it for economic reasons to some degree we
wouldn't be doing it at all. See various African countries for details in
this regard.

We are there because an OPEC country dared to take anything but dollars
for oil. That sends a message to other OPEC countries. Further the
strategic position of Iraq in the Middles East was like Germany
in Europe after WWII.

Eric

: Mike

: -----