ASTRO: NGC 5107 and 5122

Old May 15th 12, 06:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 5107 and 5122

NGC 5107 and 5112 are a pair of non interacting galaxies. Red shift
puts them at about 55 million light years. Tully-Fisher measurements of
5107 range from 45 to 76 million light-years while those for NGC 5112
cover an even wider range of 59 to 101 million light-years. While that
makes it possible they aren't at all close to each other I have to think
their similar redshift is no coincidence and they are a related pair.

NGC 5107 is classed as SB(s)d? by NED and SBcd by the NGC project. The
question mark indicates some uncertainty about the wide arm (d)
classification. It certainly is hard to tell from our perspective. It
has some interesting knots in the arms northwest of the core that are
brighter than the galaxy's core. I'd love to see this one more face on.

NGC 5112 is seen nearly face on. It's arm structure is rather
disorganized. NED classes it as SB(rs)cd while the NGC project say SBc.
Even face on there is some debate over the c or d classification of
the arm structure.

NGC 5107 seems to be cited (at least by the dubious email I get) as
having a "companion" quasar that is almost exactly on its minor axis.
There is a quasar that projected in two dimensions could be said to fit
this but since this is at least a 3 dimensional universe, probably more,
there's no way to show this is actually the case. Nor does the page
show why this would be significant even if it was the case. If they are
saying it supports anomalous redshift then they have to assume anomalous
redshift applies here, otherwise its not on the minor axis. But that's
what they want to support in the first place. Circular reasoning gets
me dizzy. Also they seem to tell me (some are really confusing to read)
that this somehow vindicates Arp's anomalistic redshift ideas. Most
referred me to this webpage.
http://arijmaki.wordpress.com/2011/0...at-minor-axis/
Note the page doesn't say how this proves or supports anything. Nor any
of the other "relationships" they find. I thought the humongous amount
of evidence against such ideas would kill them but like most
pseudoscience the concept of anomalous red shift won't succumb to facts.
All other quasars and galaxies in the image apparently are ignored by
these folks as well.

My inbox should be smoking after this!

There are several galaxy clusters in this image. Interestingly three of
them are at about 4.5 billion light-years and are clustered. What! The
anomalous redshift folks find nothing of interest in this! It must
prove something. I'm not going to bore you with details. If you want
the details drop me a note and I'll be happy to go into the details. If
the redshift for both galaxy and cluster is exactly the same or
virtually the same I give only one figure. When not given a ? for the
is used.

All redshift has been converted to "light travel time" distances using
NED's 5 year WMAP calculations. That is the time the light has taken to
reach us since it left the object. The object was closer when the light
was emitted and is currently further away. The universe's expansion all
those billions of years causes the light to have to travel longer and
further than it would have in a static universe. In that time the
object has been carried much further away. In fact for those with a
very high redshift they are currently so distant the light they emit
"today" will never reach us as they are being carried away at a speed
greater than the speed of light.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=6x10' RB=3x10'x3 G=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC5112L6X10RB3X10X3G2X10X3.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	4088  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC5112L6X10RB3X10X3G2X10X3-ID.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	4089  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC5112L6X10RB3X10X3G2X10X3CROP150.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	4090

Daily Report #5122 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 June 22nd 10 03:55 PM
Daily Report #5107 Bassford, Lynn[_2_] Hubble 0 June 1st 10 06:36 PM
[sci.astro,sci.astro.seti] Contents (Astronomy Frequently Asked Questions) (0/9) [email protected] SETI 0 April 12th 07 01:05 AM
[sci.astro,sci.astro.seti] Contents (Astronomy Frequently Asked Questions) (0/9) [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 October 6th 05 02:34 AM
[sci.astro,sci.astro.seti] Contents (Astronomy Frequently Asked Questions) (0/9) [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 September 30th 04 02:23 AM