OT-But at least it is related to Math

Old July 19th 06, 08:46 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
ilaab

Default OT-But at least it is related to Math

This is one of the strangest things I have ever seen. It may be the easiest
to explain but so far, I haven't come up with a good explanation for myself.
Give it a try and you with the larger brains, please explain it to us lower
thinkers.

http://www.milaadesign.com/wizardy.html

Old July 19th 06, 08:57 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

twice it didn't pick the right symbol. so it didn't work for me. oh yeah I had my brain wave hat
blocker on. duh, silly me....

Old July 19th 06, 09:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Buglass

Spooky, until you realise that all it is doing is forcing your "random"
number choice to be one of only a few specific numbers once you at the two
digits and subtract them. Then all those limited numbers have the same
symbol in the table. i.e.

11 = 11 - 2 = 9
12 = 12 - 3 = 9
13 = 13 - 4 = 9
14 = 14 - 5 = 9

19 = 19 - 10 = 9
20 = 20 - 2 = 18
21 = 21 - 3 = 18

etc

so in the table 9, 18, 27, etc are all the same symbol, which "magically"
appears.

Simple but fun, especially for kids :-).

Very best wishes and clear, dark skies.

--

Paul B, York, UK.

York Astronomical Society
www.yorkastro.co.uk
Please buy from the YAS web shop and help YAS raise funds

. com...

Old July 19th 06, 09:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
ilaab

"G" wrote in message
twice it didn't pick the right symbol. so it didn't work for me. oh yeah I
had my brain wave hat blocker on. duh, silly me....

The only thing spooky is the witch's cackle while the symbol is displaying.
No, I would never think of anything supernatural about this but it is clever
as hell. But then again, do brain wave helmets come in blue?

Ilaab

Old July 19th 06, 09:12 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
ilaab

"Paul Buglass" wrote in
message ...
[...]

"ilaab" wrote in message
. com...
This is one of the strangest things I have ever seen. It may be the
easiest to explain but so far, I haven't come up with a good explanation
for myself. Give it a try and you with the larger brains, please explain
it to us lower thinkers.

http://www.milaadesign.com/wizardy.html

Thanks for the explanation. What throws me off is that the answers APPEAR
random. Well, I guess I better pick up my 4th grade daughter's math book
and start learnin'. Thanks again.

Ilaab

Old July 19th 06, 12:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Anonymous AtWork

ilaab wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. What throws me off is that the answers APPEAR
random. Well, I guess I better pick up my 4th grade daughter's math book
and start learnin'. Thanks again.

I guessed the right explanation after the first try and then went back
and did it again only to find myself proved wrong! After another try I
realized they are also switching the symbols around on every iteration
to hide the trick.
Old July 19th 06, 02:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William Hamblen

On 2006-07-19, Anonymous AtWork wrote:
ilaab wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. What throws me off is that the answers APPEAR
random. Well, I guess I better pick up my 4th grade daughter's math book
and start learnin'. Thanks again.

I guessed the right explanation after the first try and then went back
and did it again only to find myself proved wrong! After another try I
realized they are also switching the symbols around on every iteration
to hide the trick.

A two digit decimal number is 10a+b, a being 1 to 9 and b being
0 to 9. Add the two digits together and you get a+b. Subtract
a+b from 10a+b and you get 9a. All the numbers evenly divisible
by 9 had the same symbol.

Bud
Old July 19th 06, 06:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ioannis

"William Hamblen" wrote in message
. ..
[snip]

A two digit decimal number is 10a+b, a being 1 to 9 and b being
0 to 9. Add the two digits together and you get a+b. Subtract
a+b from 10a+b and you get 9a. All the numbers evenly divisible
by 9 had the same symbol.

Bud

Here's a slightly more obscure one, but still easy to figure out:

http://misc.virtualcomposer2000.com/DavidCop.pps (PowerPoint file 225 KB)
--
Ioannis

Old July 20th 06, 01:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
OG

"ilaab" wrote in message
news
This is one of the strangest things I have ever seen. It may be the
easiest to explain but so far, I haven't come up with a good explanation
for myself. Give it a try and you with the larger brains, please explain
it to us lower thinkers.
http://www.milaadesign.com/wizardy.html

explanation snipped

Thanks for the explanation. What throws me off is that the answers APPEAR
random. Well, I guess I better pick up my 4th grade daughter's math book
and start learnin'. Thanks again.

Ilaab

It won't be in a 4th Grade maths book because it's a commonplace trick -
what would be educative would be to work out how to use the same effect in
Octal base, or in Bse 5 or maybe even in Binary - see the trick and find the
pattern behind it!

Old July 20th 06, 06:13 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William Hamblen

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 20:36:59 +0300, "Ioannis"
wrote:

"William Hamblen" wrote in message
[snip]

A two digit decimal number is 10a+b, a being 1 to 9 and b being
0 to 9. Add the two digits together and you get a+b. Subtract
a+b from 10a+b and you get 9a. All the numbers evenly divisible
by 9 had the same symbol.

Bud

Here's a slightly more obscure one, but still easy to figure out:

http://misc.virtualcomposer2000.com/DavidCop.pps (PowerPoint file 225 KB)

The trick is, of course, is that none of the first set of cards sppear
in the second set. The psychology is that by concentrating on one
card you don't remember the others and when the second set of face
cards appears you fail to notice that you didn't see any of them
before.

Bud