Let us stop picking on Nasa!

Old July 9th 03, 02:10 AM
Sander Vesik

Default Let us stop picking on Nasa!

John Ordover wrote:
"Paul F. Dietz" wrote in message ...
Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

You never said the SIZE of the market. You claimed it doesn't exist. It
obviously does.

I think John has problems avoiding absolutist statements. If you accept
that and assume he meant something not quite absolute, the exchange of
views may be more productive.

Paul

It's more that I'm used to being asked about a proposed book "Will
there be a market for it?" which question in my field means "Will
there be enough of a demand to make a profit publishing this book?"
not "Will anyone at all buy this book, even 48 copies?" Since
we're talking about selling something here, I'm reflexively using
retail shorthand.

You are wrong in assuming that market != retail. Retail is in fact
irrelevant to significant amount (and the majority) of sales done
this year on this planet. "retail" market for computers didn't
really exist before some time in the 1980s with microcomputers. I
hope you aren't going to try to argue that the minicomputers never
existed, even though all your arguments apply to that market aswell,
and even better to the mainframe and supercomputer market before minis.

by your arguments the system integrator market cannot exist because
all deals they do are always necessarily unique - yet in reality, its
worth large amounts of billions of dollars yearly.

I'm curious - how many people on this thread work in a profession that
sells things directly to customers?

selling things != retail. in fact, selling and reatil have anything at all
in common if you take a very narrow and specific view on things. Knowledge
gained from retail is *anything* but universaly applicable.

I think you are confused and applying the wrong theory. As with computers,
most people buying space access will be those who think they know how to
put it to a use. And they will be the ones inventing the uses - not you or
me - present-day commsats would rate as a primitive but fast punchcard
based population counting engine.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old July 12th 03, 04:31 PM
Rand Simberg

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 19:43:32 -0500, in a place far, far away, "Paul F.
Dietz" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

You never said the SIZE of the market. You claimed it doesn't exist. It
obviously does.

I think John has problems avoiding absolutist statements.

Apparently. It's one of the reasons he's in my killfile. I think he
deliberately does it partly for trolling purposes.

Old September 23rd 03, 03:32 AM
Mary Shafer

Default Update on Zero G Corp. from Rand Simberg?

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 16:58:36 GMT, h (Rand
Simberg) wrote:

On 5 Jul 2003 08:31:11 -0700, in a place far, far away,
(Allen Thomson) made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

For everyone else in our universe, their website is:
http://www.zerogcorp.com/

Where is says, "Flights are scheduled to begin in early 2003."

So how are they doing?

Last time I talked to Peter (a few weeks ago), he was predicting this
summer, but it wouldn't be the first time he's made such a prediction.

OK, summer's over. Where are the zero-g flights using freight
aircraft?

Mary
--
Mary Shafer
"There are only two types of aircraft--fighters and targets"
Old September 23rd 03, 04:43 AM
Rand Simberg

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:32:30 -0700, in a place far, far away, Mary
Shafer made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

For everyone else in our universe, their website is:
http://www.zerogcorp.com/

Where is says, "Flights are scheduled to begin in early 2003."

So how are they doing?

Last time I talked to Peter (a few weeks ago), he was predicting this
summer, but it wouldn't be the first time he's made such a prediction.

OK, summer's over. Where are the zero-g flights using freight
aircraft?

Good question. I'm (either sadly, or unfortunately, or both) not the
one to answer.

I'll ping them and try to get a new (unreliable) estimate.

Having personal experience in dealing with the FAA on this issue, I
can understand the delay, but what I don't understand is the continual
false^H^H^H^H^H mistaken estimates on when they'll be operational.