Mars Opposition, not in 2004

Old August 19th 04, 07:45 PM
Algomeysa2

Default Mars Opposition, not in 2004

I noticed a weird thing, I got one of those internet passarounds (the kind
that gets sent to whole lists of people), claiming that this month Mars will
be the closest it's been in thousands of years.

Of course, it was actually referring to the August 2003 event, but the years
had been trimmed out of the text.

Next Mars opposition is in November 2005, and though it won't be as close as
the August 2003 one, there are ones every 15-17 years almost as close as the
August 2003 one.

But anyway, with the dates stripped off this internet passaround, I wonder
if it'll become one of those perennial things that won't die on the
internet, like the kid dying of cancer who wants to collect the most
postcards, or the Neiman Marcus $500 cookie recipe, or that Nigerian
General's Wife who wants my bank account number so she can give me huge
amounts of money.

Old August 19th 04, 07:52 PM
Mark Hansen

On 8/19/2004 11:45, Algomeysa2 wrote:

[...]

Oh come on ... that last one is real, isn't it ... ;-)
Old August 19th 04, 07:57 PM
Algomeysa2

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

On 8/19/2004 11:45, Algomeysa2 wrote:
But anyway, with the dates stripped off this internet passaround, I

wonder
if it'll become one of those perennial things that won't die on the
internet, like the kid dying of cancer who wants to collect the most
postcards, or the Neiman Marcus $500 cookie recipe, or that Nigerian
General's Wife who wants my bank account number so she can give me huge
amounts of money.

Oh come on ... that last one is real, isn't it ... ;-)

Well, I guess the major difference in those 3 examples are, the first 2 are
internet/urban rumors, while the third is someone actively trying to commit
fraud....