What is this? (shuttle related)

Old July 15th 08, 06:59 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
John[_3_]

Default What is this? (shuttle related)

OK campers,

What is this . . . the best I could come up with was a mounting point
on the many-tired trailer you occassionally see being used to move
orbiters around. But, why the note indicated which way goes up? I
mean between all the times its been done and the use of in hand
procedures . . . this seems a little silly.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ting_point.JPG

The winner gets an "I miss Henry (and Rusty, et al) t-shirt.

Take care . . .

John
Old July 15th 08, 08:11 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Damon Hill[_4_]

John wrote in
:

OK campers,

What is this . . . the best I could come up with was a mounting point
on the many-tired trailer you occassionally see being used to move
orbiters around. But, why the note indicated which way goes up? I
mean between all the times its been done and the use of in hand
procedures . . . this seems a little silly.

It's an aft(?) mounting point on one of the converted 747 Shuttle carriers,
and yes, it's silly. More or less identical to the mounting points on
the External Tank and plugs into the same location on the orbiter. The
trailers probably have a similar mount.

See also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:E...-030126-02.jpg

The winner gets an "I miss Henry (and Rusty, et al) t-shirt.

Dibs!

--Damon
Old July 15th 08, 12:06 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"John" wrote in message
OK campers,

What is this . . . the best I could come up with was a mounting point
on the many-tired trailer you occassionally see being used to move
orbiters around. But, why the note indicated which way goes up? I
mean between all the times its been done and the use of in hand
procedures . . . this seems a little silly.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ting_point.JPG

The winner gets an "I miss Henry (and Rusty, et al) t-shirt.

As Damon pointed out, this is on the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft. Yes, folks
there have a sense of humor.

I believe this photo was taken by our very own Jorge R. Frank. He's
provided several for use in Dennis Jenkin's book Space Shuttle.

I do wonder (and will leave it to Jorge to answer) if this photo is in fact
his, if this photo is in the public domain.

Take care . . .

John

--
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!

Old July 15th 08, 02:04 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jeff Findley

"John" wrote in message
OK campers,

What is this . . . the best I could come up with was a mounting point
on the many-tired trailer you occassionally see being used to move
orbiters around. But, why the note indicated which way goes up? I
mean between all the times its been done and the use of in hand
procedures . . . this seems a little silly.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ting_point.JPG

It's a JOKE! Yes, even aerospace workers have a sense of humor.

The winner gets an "I miss Henry (and Rusty, et al) t-shirt.

Henry is alive and well and posts regularly to the arocket e-mail list. I
know, e-mail lists are antiquated, but they have several advantages. One of
which is you can ban trouble makers very easily, which greatly increases the
signal to noise ratio.

The only way I keep the signal to noise ratio down in the sci.space groups
is a liberal use of a killfile.

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein

Old July 15th 08, 05:50 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Damon Hill[_4_]

"Jeff Findley" wrote in
:

Henry is alive and well and posts regularly to the arocket e-mail
list. I know, e-mail lists are antiquated, but they have several
advantages. One of which is you can ban trouble makers very easily,
which greatly increases the signal to noise ratio.

The only way I keep the signal to noise ratio down in the sci.space
groups is a liberal use of a killfile.

Another kook filter is to restrict messages cross-posted to more than
three newsgroups. Many such folk seem compelled to spew their dreck
as widely as possible, and most replies don't trim out irrelevant
groups, so I get to miss a lot of nonsense.

Killfiles, regularly maintained, mop up most of the rest...

--Damon

Old July 15th 08, 06:44 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
John[_3_]

On Jul 15, 9:04*am, "Jeff Findley"
wrote:

It's a JOKE! *Yes, even aerospace workers have a sense of humor.

The winner gets an "I miss Henry (and Rusty, et al) t-shirt.

Henry is alive and well and posts regularly to the arocket e-mail list. *I
know, e-mail lists are antiquated, but they have several advantages. *

WOW . . . you mean reasonable, on topic, non-rant class information.
What a concept *S*
Could it be possible . . . something as good as back in the day when
this place was haunt of Pad Rat and others? I for one, hope so

Take care all

John

Old July 15th 08, 06:47 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Damon Hill" wrote in message

Another kook filter is to restrict messages cross-posted to more than
three newsgroups. Many such folk seem compelled to spew their dreck
as widely as possible, and most replies don't trim out irrelevant
groups, so I get to miss a lot of nonsense.

Most trolls go for five groups - the maximum most ISPs allow. Setting KF's
at three groups does remove most trolling.

Old July 15th 08, 09:13 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 02:11:51 -0500, Damon Hill
wrote:

John wrote in
:

OK campers,

What is this . . . the best I could come up with was a mounting point
on the many-tired trailer you occassionally see being used to move
orbiters around. But, why the note indicated which way goes up? I
mean between all the times its been done and the use of in hand
procedures . . . this seems a little silly.

It's an aft(?) mounting point on one of the converted 747 Shuttle carriers,
and yes, it's silly. More or less identical to the mounting points on
the External Tank and plugs into the same location on the orbiter. The
trailers probably have a similar mount.

The other mount says "Lefty loosy, righty tighty".

Mary "Just a bit of humor"
We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
or
Visit my blog at
http://thedigitalknitter.blogspot.com/
Old July 15th 08, 10:19 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
John Doe

John wrote:

Could it be possible . . . something as good as back in the day when
this place was haunt of Pad Rat and others? I for one, hope so

Consider who in this group are so quick to insult posters and qualify
them as ignorant people who shouldn't be posting here. (instead of
answering their questions politely and professionally).

There were a few well knowledgeable people who took pleasure in
answering people's questions, but there were equally many who took
pleasure in insulting those they felt weren't qualified to participate
in the group.
Old July 16th 08, 02:22 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jorge R. Frank

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
"John" wrote in message
OK campers,

What is this . . . the best I could come up with was a mounting point
on the many-tired trailer you occassionally see being used to move
orbiters around. But, why the note indicated which way goes up? I
mean between all the times its been done and the use of in hand
procedures . . . this seems a little silly.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ting_point.JPG

The winner gets an "I miss Henry (and Rusty, et al) t-shirt.

As Damon pointed out, this is on the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft. Yes, folks
there have a sense of humor.

I believe this photo was taken by our very own Jorge R. Frank. He's
provided several for use in Dennis Jenkin's book Space Shuttle.

I do wonder (and will leave it to Jorge to answer) if this photo is in fact
his, if this photo is in the public domain.

That photo is way too good to be anything I shot. Had to be Kim Keller.