"Mach 7 scramjet" tested at Woomera

Old March 26th 06, 02:51 AM posted to sci.space.history

Default "Mach 7 scramjet" tested at Woomera

Old March 27th 06, 03:22 AM posted to sci.space.history

Neil Gerace wrote:

Caught this one on El Reg as well. Congrats, Australia!
(so, who wants to post the first "Australian Right Stuff" joke?)

But, seriously...my wife and I have often discussed how cool a trip to
Japan or Australia would be, except for the interminably long flight.
("Eleven hours in a tin can -- God, there's got to be a better way!"
--the Who) My late Dad had a great story he loved telling about his
flight across the Pacific and North America aboard a DC9 when he was
being rotated home from Vietnam. Dad was a lean, wiry guy -- kind of
like Pete Conrad, only an inch or two taller -- and still needed a
shoehorn to get in and out of those goddamn' coach seats, and this was
in 1968.

But, three or four hours from WashDC to Tokyo -- now, that'd work for
me, but only if there's more space per person than on that goddamn' DC9
we rode on our trip to Spain about six, seven years ago. Anyone who's
ridden coach in the DC9 would understand why I like to call it the
"Flying Slave Ship" (check out the seating diagram for that friggin'
crate). My late Dad had a great story he loved telling about his flight
across the Pacific and North America aboard a DC9 when he was being
rotated home from Vietnam. Dad was a lean, wiry guy -- kind of like Pete
Conrad, only an inch or two taller -- and still needed a shoehorn to get
in and out of those goddamn' coach seats, and this was in 1968, the
reputed Golden Age Of Legroom.

--

..

"Though I could not caution all, I yet may warn a few:
Don't lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools!"

--grateful dead.
Mike Flugennock, flugennock at sinkers dot org
"Mikey'zine": dubya dubya dubya dot sinkers dot org
Old March 27th 06, 01:54 PM posted to sci.space.history

mike flugennock wrote:
Neil Gerace wrote:

[...]

(accidental duplication of story of father's flight home deleted)

Jayzus, I've got to stop posting at that hour of the night.

--

..

Old March 27th 06, 02:47 PM posted to sci.space.history

Neil Gerace wrote:

Oh, I'd loved to have seen that honker impact if the scramjet kept
adding thrust all the way to the ground.

Pat
Old March 27th 06, 03:35 PM posted to sci.space.history

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Neil Gerace wrote:

Oh, I'd loved to have seen that honker impact if the scramjet kept adding
thrust all the way to the ground.

Well, it's probably still out there if you want to go and look. Just
remember to drive around the N-bomb test sites :-)

Old March 28th 06, 12:56 AM posted to sci.space.history

Pat Flannery wrote:
Oh, I'd loved to have seen that honker impact if the scramjet kept
adding thrust all the way to the ground.

Pat

Even without help from the scramjet, it makes a pretty nice lawn dart:
http://www.uq.edu.au/news/press/displayimg.php?id=8125.001&zoom=1
warning: large image. More at
http://www.uq.edu.au/news/press/press-gallery.php

Old March 28th 06, 02:02 AM posted to sci.space.history

Pat Flannery wrote:

Neil Gerace wrote:

Oh, I'd loved to have seen that honker impact if the scramjet kept
adding thrust all the way to the ground.

That's apparently what was happening, iirc. "Controlled flight into
terrain", I believe the call it (as opposed to the Genesis probe).

Oooohhhhh! Aaahhhhhh!

--

..