Exoplanet discovered around neighbouring star

Old November 16th 18, 07:26 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

Default Exoplanet discovered around neighbouring star

On Wednesday, 14 November 2018 23:28:53 UTC-5, palsing wrote:
On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 3:18:19 PM UTC-8, StarDust wrote:
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46196279

What size telescope (aperture) is needed to see Barnard's star?

Even though that article states that Barnard's star is *extremely dim*, at approximately magnitude 9.5, Barnard's star can theoretically be glimpsed in 10 X 50 binoculars, and even a small telescope will easily be good enough to track it down... but the trick here is that Barnard's star is just another dim star amongst dozens of others in the field, so you need a very detailed star chart to know exactly which one it is!

This is one of the best overall pages for this star...

http://stars.astro.illinois.edu/sow/barnard.html

Pity most of these planets are projected to look like Afghanistan.
Old November 16th 18, 01:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 10:07:45 PM UTC-8, palsing wrote:
On Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 9:12:34 PM UTC-8, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 13:24:50 -0800 (PST), palsing pnals...gmail.com
wrote:

On Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 11:21:54 AM UTC-8, Davoud wrote:
palsing:
Well, yeah, a properly aligned go-to can put you within, say, the middle 1/3
of the field of view... but in this case, there are at least a dozen or more
stars there... so, which is it? THAT'S why you need a really detailed star
chart.

It is much like finding Pluto. It is easy to see, but hard to nail down. As
good as go-to can be, it still doesn't label objects for you!

A Bisque Paramount with a TPoint model will put Barnard's Star (or
Pluto) dead-center on the camera sensor. In the case of a star,
plate-solving the FITS and bringing it into Aladin
https://aladin.u-strasbg.fr will verify that.

Well, for $14,000 it had better!

Any number of $1500 mounts will do the same these days.

Well, no such mounts for my 25" Obsession dob :). I feel pretty good when my push-to gets the object in the field of view! A wooden dob this size is pretty rickety when compared to a modern imaging refractor or reflector, so it is no surprise that pointing accuracy is often a little sketchy. Tpoint modeling helps, but perfection, as Davoud has described it, is a fantasy for me.

Nevertheless, this past week I spent 4 nights observing in the local Anza-Borrego desert, and everything was working really well, with objects being consistently somewhere in the field of view anywhere in the sky using an 8mm Meade 80° widefield. It is a *lot* more fun when this happens :) Of course, it got down to 21° F in the wee hours, so proper attire was required... but that is just the cost of doing business.

\Paul A

I have Vixen GP D (no X) mount, super accurate. GP D means, made for the Japanese market.
According to some reviews , the internal components are not machined, but insanely, precision ground! It can even dial in individual craters on the Moon any time with the SS2K goto.
Never tried it though?
Once, observed Jupiter in the early evening at 150x? power, poler scope was aligned accurate on Polaris, went inside the house and fall in sleep.
I woke up at 3 am , 5-6 hrs later, came back to the scope , Jupiter was still up, close to the horizon. Looked in the eye piece, behold, it was still centered in the middle of the eyepiece.
Old November 16th 18, 02:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

palsing:
Well, yeah, a properly aligned go-to can put you within, say, the middle
1/3
of the field of view... but in this case, there are at least a dozen or
more
stars there... so, which is it? THAT'S why you need a really detailed star
chart.

It is much like finding Pluto. It is easy to see, but hard to nail down.
As
good as go-to can be, it still doesn't label objects for you!

Davoud:
A Bisque Paramount with a TPoint model will put Barnard's Star (or
Pluto) dead-center on the camera sensor. In the case of a star,
plate-solving the FITS and bringing it into Aladin
https://aladin.u-strasbg.fr will verify that.

palsing:
Well, for $14,000 it had better!

Paramount MyT, $5795 from Woodland Hills. What a beautiful performer!

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old November 16th 18, 03:54 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 22:07:42 -0800 (PST), palsing
wrote:

On Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 9:12:34 PM UTC-8, Chris L Peterson wrote:

Any number of $1500 mounts will do the same these days.

Well, no such mounts for my 25" Obsession dob :).

Yup. You want to move something like that around, you need some
serious hardware. I drive around a big tracking equatorial carrying a
pair of scopes, 16" and 12". Not goto but motorized. Loosen the
clutches, push to the approximate position, and fine tune with the
hand paddle. Used to play star hopping games (which I hate), but now I
have an old smartphone strapped to the side of the 16" tube, and its
gravity sensor let me position the scope accurately enough that my
target is always near the center of the eyepiece, just reading the
numbers. A setting circle system that looks directly at the scope
position, not the mount at all. You can slap that on a Dob.
Old November 17th 18, 01:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

wrote:

On Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 9:12:34 PM UTC-8, Chris L Peterson wrote:

Any number of $1500 mounts will do the same these days.

Well, no such mounts for my 25" Obsession dob :).

... but now I
have an old smartphone strapped to the side of the 16" tube, and its
gravity sensor let me position the scope accurately enough that my
target is always near the center of the eyepiece, just reading the
numbers. A setting circle system that looks directly at the scope
position, not the mount at all. You can slap that on a Dob.

OK, I'm intrigued about this old smartphone setting circle system of yours. Can you elaborate for me, please? I have a couple of old smartphones that I now use only for holding a bunch of music to play when in the field observing...

\Paul A