Solar probe will FAIL

Old April 27th 12, 12:15 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_1_]

Default Solar probe will FAIL

How can they protect the solar panel from the sun? They can't. It'll
burn off. Now, if the thing had a nuclear power supply, no problem.

Old April 27th 12, 12:33 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

RichA wrote:
How can they protect the solar panel from the sun? They can't. It'll
burn off. Now, if the thing had a nuclear power supply, no problem.

Try watching the video.
Nuclear power is just a waste when you are so close to the sun.
Try using your brain instead of your prejudice. Nuclear power makes sense
in the outer solar system but not close to the sun.
Old April 27th 12, 02:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
lal_truckee

On 4/26/12 4:15 PM, RichA wrote:

It'll burn off.

Of course. It's just feathers held together by wax.
Don't fly too close to the sun.

These engineers sure could use a classical education - Daedalus warned
Icarus not to fly too high, because the heat of the sun would melt the
wax. If the engineers only knew what the ancients and RichA know.
Old April 27th 12, 06:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Apr 27, 3:30*am, lal_truckee wrote:

These engineers sure could use a classical education - Daedalus warned
Icarus not to fly too high, because the heat of the sun would melt the
wax. If the engineers only knew what the ancients and RichA know.

Let them use coal.
Old April 27th 12, 04:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_1_]

On Apr 27, 1:25*am, "Chris.B" wrote:
On Apr 27, 3:30*am, lal_truckee wrote:

These engineers sure could use a classical education - Daedalus warned
Icarus not to fly too high, because the heat of the sun would melt the
wax. If the engineers only knew what the ancients and RichA know.

Let them use coal.

They could have easily used the crappy solar panels until they did
burn off, then they could use a heat-to-electricity device and just
use the heat available to them in close proximity to the sun.
P.S. Nuclear power cells aren't use just for deep space, they are
used because they are 100% reliable, compact and efficient. UNLIKE
solar panels.
Old April 28th 12, 07:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Apr 27, 5:26*pm, RichA wrote:
*UN-LIKE solar panels!

I know. I know. I feel your pain. I bought a small solar panel from a
supermarket to charge my mobile telephone. That one failed too. What
more proof do you need?!!!?
Old April 28th 12, 06:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_1_]

On Apr 28, 2:01*am, "Chris.B" wrote:
On Apr 27, 5:26*pm, RichA wrote:

*UN-LIKE *solar panels!

I know. I know. I feel your pain. I bought a small solar panel from a
supermarket to charge my mobile telephone. That one failed too. What
more proof do you need?!!!?

Solar = junk. $0.80kwh for power. It is to laugh...
Old April 28th 12, 06:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 10:11:15 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

Solar = junk. $0.80kwh for power. It is to laugh...

Solar panels are several orders of magnitude less expensive on
spacecraft than RTGs. It would be stupid to use nuclear power on a
satellite that has an ample, continuous supply of sunlight. I think
the engineers here understand a bit more about this than you do.