sounds from outter space

Old October 14th 05, 01:00 PM
tom sparks

Default sounds from outter space

Hello everyone and Paul Francis,

I am trying to find a link between
the planetary/star data and the sound
is it based on the atom frequencies
(Committee on Radio Astronomy Frequencies)
or something I have not found yet

I do have a very basic understand in the area
(been using en.wikipedia.org)

PS: Paul Francis your web site is the best I have found on this topic

http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/~pfrancis/Music/
http://www.spacesounds.com
http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/space-audio
http://www.spaceweather.com/glossary/inspire.html
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Cassini-...5Q71Y3E_0.html
http://faculty.washington.edu/jcramer/BBSound.html
http://www.astro.virginia.edu/~dmw8f/index.php
http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~pulsar/Educ...ds/sounds.html
http://pulsar.princeton.edu/pulsar/multimedia.shtml
http://solar-center.stanford.edu/singing/singing.html
http://www.eso.org/outreach/press-re.../pr-10-02.html
etc

--
TS@TEXAS@AU

Old October 15th 05, 06:58 AM
Bob

"I am trying to find a link between the planetary/star data and sound"

There isn't any. Unless you do something like take reception from a
radio telescope, convert variations in signal strength or frequency to
audio, and listen to it. But that was never "sound" before it was
radio radiation, unlike music heard on your favorite station on the
radio. Like "false color" photos of some astronomical object. A
conversion done so our human senses can hear/see it and the brain can
work with it.

One of the big boys of astronomy a few hundred years ago (Kepler,
Tycho, Newton, ?) was kicking around the idea that maybe the Sun's
planets produced sound (like a ringling bell) as they traveled their
orbits. Probably just an idea one of these guys had but he couldn't
make it pan out. A historian must have found it in a notebook. Most
scientists have ideas that don't pan out after kicking it around for a
while. But some ideas do work out on paper and sometimes after that
are found to be good science and fit observations of the real world.

Old October 17th 05, 03:19 AM
tom sparks

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...

"I am trying to find a link between the planetary/star data and sound"

There isn't any. Unless you do something like take reception from a
radio telescope, convert variations in signal strength or frequency to
audio, and listen to it. But that was never "sound" before it was
radio radiation, unlike music heard on your favorite station on the
radio. Like "false color" photos of some astronomical object. A
conversion done so our human senses can hear/see it and the brain can
work with it.

I am mostly looking at this link
http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/~pfrancis/Music/Paper/
and it ideas

--
TS@TEXAS@AU
Amiga setup:

Old November 6th 05, 05:27 AM
Joseph Lazio

"ts" == tom sparks writes:

ts "Bob" wrote in message
ts oups.com...

I am trying to find a link between the planetary/star data and
sound

There isn't any. Unless you do something like take reception from
a radio telescope, convert variations in signal strength or
frequency to audio, and listen to it. But that was never "sound"
before it was radio radiation, unlike music heard on your favorite
station on the radio. Like "false color" photos of some
astronomical object. A conversion done so our human senses can
hear/see it and the brain can work with it.

ts I am mostly looking at this link
ts http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/~pfrancis/Music/Paper/ and it ideas

Re-read what Bob wrote. The paper discusses converting light to sound
to illustrate certain principles, not because there is any fundamental
relation between the light and sound.

--
Lt. Lazio, HTML police | e-mail:
No means no, stop rape. |