Dr. Ernst Stuhlinger has died

Old May 26th 08, 09:39 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Alfred S. Dert[_2_]

Default Dr. Ernst Stuhlinger has died

eyeball schrieb:
On May 25, 4:02 pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
On of the last original members of WvB's Peenemunde team has died:http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1291
If the name doesn't ring a bell, one of his ion-powered spaceship
designs almost certainly will:http://davidszondy.com/future/space/ionships.htm
Yes, the ones that were in the Disney television production "Mars and
Beyond".
There's a 1962 ion-powered Mars ship he also designed hehttp://www.astronautix.com/craft/stus1962.htm
If Phoenix lands on Mars successfully today, you can bet that something
in the vicinity of the landing site will get named after Stuhlinger...it
would be nifty to name the landing site "Stuhlinger Station" wouldn't
it? Considering how much that Disney program did to heighten interest in
Mars exploration, he certainly deserves it.

Pat

I would imagine his Nazi association, no matter how slight, will
eliminate any chance of naming anything after him, on PC grounds.

There is a moon crater named after Wernher von Braun.
Old May 27th 08, 12:40 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
kT

On May 26, 11:10 am, eyeball wrote::

http://www...

Butt, butt, butt, everything has to have a name, right?

Graboids, that's it. I'll give you five dollars for it!

Old May 27th 08, 01:12 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Scott Hedrick[_2_]

wrote in message
On May 25, 10:18 pm, eyeball wrote:

I would imagine his Nazi association, no matter how slight, will
eliminate any chance of naming anything after him, on PC grounds.

Given that the communists -- Russian and Chinese -- have killed
several times the number of humans the Nazis killed, why are Nazis
hated so profoundly and viscerally?

Because the communists try to hide it. The Nazis published lists, thus
giving them more publicity. Also, even though the effect is the same, the
Nazis tended to concentrate on specific groups, while the communists are
less biased about who they want to murder.

Mostly, it's a PR thing.

Old May 27th 08, 01:57 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
eyeball

On May 26, 3:39 pm, "Alfred S. Dert" wrote:

[...]

Actually, I couldn't find out when it was named...but I would still
think the PCers would bitch today.
Old May 27th 08, 03:26 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
kT

eyeball schrieb:

[...]

As long as it has a name you're happy. Everything has to have a name.

but I would still
think the PCers would bitch today.

Clearly they would bitch even louder if it didn't have a name.

Everything has to have a name, even what's his name knows that.

Old May 27th 08, 08:14 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Mon, 26 May 2008 22:39:25 +0200, "Alfred S. Dert"
wrote:

There is a moon crater named after Wernher von Braun.

....Was it officially named that by the Frog-controlled body that
officiates the names?

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old May 31st 08, 08:07 PM posted to sci.space.history
David M. Palmer

wrote:

There is a moon crater named after Wernher von Braun.

...Was it officially named that by the Frog-controlled body that
officiates the names?

Remember that even though he was a German, he did bomb London.

--
David M. Palmer (formerly @clark.net, @ematic.com)
Old June 3rd 08, 03:27 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Jones

On Sun, 25 May 2008 19:18:39 -0700 (PDT), eyeball
wrote:

[...]

But was he a "good" Nazi?

"Good night, and good Nazi" - Colbert

Old June 9th 08, 05:01 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
John Savard[_2_]

On Mon, 26 May 2008 06:29:05 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote, in part:
On May 25, 10:18 pm, eyeball wrote:

I would imagine his Nazi association, no matter how slight, will
eliminate any chance of naming anything after him, on PC grounds.

Given that the communists -- Russian and Chinese -- have killed
several times the number of humans the Nazis killed, why are Nazis
hated so profoundly and viscerally? Seems to me that the numbers say
that we should never name anything after Gagarin and that crew, first.

Why the Nazis are hated so profoundly and viscerally is no mystery. They
plunged the world into a devastating war which killed millions of people
in France and Britain and the United States.

And they deliberately singled out for extermination the Jews, a
peaceful, inoffensive minority group that had made immense contributions
to culture and science.

The mystery might be why the Communists are not also hated powerfully
and viscerally.

But the wars they started were in far-away Korea and Vietnam - so
Americans might as easily blame their own government for bothering to
send their sons to defend such unimportant places. They subverted the
governments of Poland, Czechoslovakia, and other countries after victory
was achieved over the Nazis, but this happened when the world was weary
of war. They held the threat of nuclear annihilation over our heads for
decades, and for this they were resented.

The Nazis clearly were interested in running the whole world for the
benefit of the Germans.

The Communists talked about being in favor of the ordinary working man.

During the Depression, people looked towards *both* Stalin's Russia on
the one hand, *and* Mussolini's Italy and Hitler's Germany on the other
as countries that were doing something about the Depression.

Pearl Harbor settled the question about Hitler and Mussolini. By then,
Russia was on the Allied side.

After the war, though, when it was found that Russia wasn't a democracy,
that it took over Eastern Europe - and it was spying on America,
stealing the secret of the Atom Bomb - Americans *were* angry.

But their anger was USED. Used by people with other agendas, like
curbing the strength of labor unions, or stopping evolution from being
taught in the schools. Used by people who wanted to get political power
by hounding innocent people who were deceived by Communism back in the
1930s, when a lot of people were.

It's hard for some people to recognize that the conflict between two
ideas is apparent, not real; that Communism can be a horrifying evil
even if McCarthyism is also evil.

When it comes to Nazism, on the other hand, everything points the same
way. The Nazis were bad, and so were the people who wanted to keep
segregation or stop black people from voting.

So one can denounce Nazism in absolute uncompromising terms - but when
denouncing Communism, one has to clarify that one is not expressing
support for McCarthyism, or trying to vilify the people working for
equality for women or people of color.

Of course, it also helps that Yuri Gagarin never killed anyone (except
possibly in service during World War II, which doesn't count - this was
legitimate response to Nazi aggression), while von Braun and the others
with him did help to make rockets that killed civilians in London. The
urgency of the Cold War meant that we needed their help - instead of
sending them to Britain to face trial.

Of course, other Cold War considerations also mitigated against mass
prosecutions of German soldiers, sailors, and airmen after Germany's
_unconditional_ surrender.

John Savard
http://www.quadibloc.com/index.html
Old June 9th 08, 05:11 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
kT

wrote, in part:
On May 25, 10:18 pm, eyeball wrote:

I would imagine his Nazi association, no matter how slight, will
eliminate any chance of naming anything after him, on PC grounds.

Given that the communists -- Russian and Chinese -- have killed
several times the number of humans the Nazis killed, why are Nazis
hated so profoundly and viscerally? Seems to me that the numbers say
that we should never name anything after Gagarin and that crew, first.

Why the Nazis are hated so profoundly and viscerally is no mystery. They
plunged the world into a devastating war which killed millions of people
in France and Britain and the United States.

Why the Americans are hated so profoundly and viscerally is no mystery.
They plunged the world into devastating wars which killed millions of
people in Iraq and Vietnam.

And they deliberately singled out for extermination the Jews, a
peaceful, inoffensive minority group that had made immense contributions
to culture and science.

And they deliberately singled out for extermination one Saddam Hussein,
a nutty and offensive petty dictator who made immense contributions
to the stability of Iraq.

[snip nutty and offensive right wing dogma]