Daily Report #4751

Old December 8th 08, 01:51 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report #4751

DAILY REPORT****** #4751

PERIOD COVERED: 5am December 5 - 5am December 8, 2008 (DOY
*************************** 340/1000z-343/1000z)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

FGS 11943

Binaries at the Extremes of the H-R Diagram

We propose to use HST/Fine Guidance Sensor 1r to survey for binaries
among some of the most massive, least massive, and oldest stars in our
part of the Galaxy. FGS allows us to spatially resolve binary systems
that are too faint for ground-based, speckle or optical long baseline
interferometry, and too close to resolve with AO. We propose a
SNAP-style program of single orbit FGS TRANS mode observations of very
massive stars in the cluster NGC 3603, luminous blue variables, nearby
low mass main sequence stars, cool subdwarf stars, and white dwarfs.
These observations will help us to (1) identify systems suitable for
followup studies for mass determination, (2) study the role of
binaries in stellar birth and in advanced evolutionary states, (3)
explore the fundamental properties of stars near the main
sequence-brown dwarf boundary, (4) understand the role of binaries for
X-ray bright systems, (5) find binaries among ancient and nearby
subdwarf stars, and (6) help calibrate the white dwarf mass - radius
relation.

WFPC2 11797

Supplemental WFPC2 CYCLE 16 Intflat Linearity Check and Filter
Rotation Anomaly Monitor

Supplemental observations to 11029, to cover period from Aug 08 to
SM4. Intflat observations will be taken to provide a linearity check:
the linearity test consists of a series of intflats in F555W, in each
gain and each shutter. A combination of intflats, visflats, and
earthflats will be used to check the repeatability of filter wheel
motions. (Intflat sequences tied to decons, visits 1-18 in prop 10363,
have been moved to the cycle 15 decon proposal 11022 for easier
scheduling.)

WFPC2 11794

Cycle 16 Visible Earth Flats

This proposal monitors flatfield stability. This proposal obtains
sequences of Earth streak flats to construct high quality flat fields
for the WFPC2 filter set. These flat fields will allow mapping of the
OTA illumination pattern and will be used in conjunction with previous
internal and external flats to generate new pipeline superflats. These
Earth flats will complement the Earth flat data obtained during cycles
4-15.

WFPC2 11612

Eta Carinae's Continuing Instability and Recovery - the 2009 Event

Eta Carinae is the only really observable example of structural
recovery from a massive giant eruption, a "supernova imposter' event.
Moreover it is the only well-observed star above 100 Msun, and its
5.5-year-recurrent spectroscopic events provide extraordinary clues to
its surface instability. This truly unique combination of attributes
makes it valuable for understanding the most massive stars. A fresh
development arose a few years ago: The star has brightened much faster
than before, and appears to have entered a rapid stage in its
post-eruption recovery.

A spectroscopic event will occur at 2009.0, soon after the planned HST
servicing mission. Because of the recent secular trend, this event is
expected to differ from its well-observed 2003.5 predecessor. The
differences will be very important, because they offer clues to
very-massive-star structural instabilities that can't be observed in
any other known way.

Some of the needed observations require HST's high spatial resolution
and UV coverage. We propose an efficient, well-chosen set of STIS and
ACS observations around the critical time. If the servicing mission is
too late for the event, then a subset of the observations will still
be merited.

WFPC2 11289

SL2S: The Strong Lensing Legacy Survey

Recent systematic surveys of strong galaxy-galaxy lenses {CLASS,
SLACS, GOODS, etc.} are producing spectacular results for galaxy
masses roughly below a transition mass M~10^13 Mo. The observed lens
properties and their evolution up to z~0.2, consistent with numerical
simulations, can be described by isothermal elliptical potentials. In
contrast, modeling of giant arcs in X-ray luminous clusters {halo
masses M ~10^13 Mo} favors NFW mass profiles, suggesting that dark
matter halos are not significantly affected by baryon cooling. Until
recently, lensing surveys were neither deep nor extended enough to
probe the intermediate mass density regime, which is fundamental for
understanding the assembly of structures. The CFHT Legacy Survey now
covers 125 square degrees, and thus offers a large reservoir of strong
lenses probing a large range of mass densities up to z~1. We have
extracted a list of 150 strong lenses using the most recent CFHTLS
data release via automated procedures. Following our first SNAPSHOT
proposal in cycle 15, we propose to continue the Hubble follow-up
targeting a larger list of 130 lensing candidates. These are
intermediate mass range candidates {between galaxies and clusters}
that are selected in the redshift range of 0.2-1 with no a priori
X-ray selection. The HST resolution is necessary for confirming the
lensing candidates, accurate modeling of the lenses, and probing the
total mass concentration in galaxy groups up to z~1 with the largest
unbiased sample available to date.

WFPC2 11218

Snapshot Survey for Planetary Nebulae in Globular Clusters of the
Local Group

Planetary nebulae {PNe} in globular clusters {GCs} raise a number of
interesting issues related to stellar and galactic evolution. The
number of PNe known in Milky Way GCs, 4, is surprisingly low if one
assumes that all stars pass through a PN stage. However, it is likely
that the remnants of stars now evolving in Galactic GCs leave the AGB
so slowly that any ejected nebula dissipates long before the star
becomes hot enough to ionize it. Thus there should not be ANY PNe in
Milky Way GCs--but there are four! It has been suggested that these
PNe are the result of mergers of binary stars within GCs, i.e., that
they are descendants of blue stragglers. The frequency of occurrence
of PNe in external galaxies poses more questions, because it shows a
range of almost an order of magnitude. I propose a Snapshot survey
aimed at discovering PNe in the GC systems of Local Group galaxies
more distant than the Magellanic Clouds. These clusters, some of which
may be much younger than their counterparts in the Milky Way, might
contain many more PNe than those of our own galaxy. I will use the
standard technique of emission-line and continuum imaging, which
easily discloses PNe.

FGS 11213

Distances to Eclipsing M Dwarf Binaries

We propose HST FGS observations to measure accurate distances of 5
nearby M dwarf eclipsing binary systems, from which model-independent
luminosities can be calculated. These objects have either poor or no
existing parallax measurements. FGS parallax determinations for these
systems, with their existing dynamic masses determined to better than
0.5%, would serve as model-independent anchor points for the low-mass
end of the mass-luminosity diagram.

ACS/SBC 11158

HST Imaging of UV Emission in Quiescent Early-type Galaxies

We have constructed a sample of early type galaxies at z~0.1 that have
blue UV-optical colors, yet also show no signs of optical emission, or
extended blue light. We have cross-correlated the SDSS catalog and the
Galaxy Evolution Explorer Medium Imaging Survey to select a sample of
galaxies where this UV emission is strongest. The origin of the UV
rising flux in these galaxies continues to be debated, and the
possibility that some fraction of these galaxies may be experiencing
low levels of star formation cannot be excluded. There is also a
possibility that low level AGN activity {as evidenced by a point
source} is responsible We propose to image the UV emission using the
HST/SBC and to explore the morphology of the UV emission relative to
the optical light.

WFPC2 11130

AGNs with Intermediate-mass Black Holes: Testing the Black Hole-Bulge
Paradigm, Part II

The recent progress in the study of central black holes in galactic
nuclei has led to a general consensus that supermassive {10^6-10^9
solar mass} black holes are closely connected with the formation and
evolutionary history of large galaxies, especially their bulge
component. Two outstanding issues, however, remain unresolved. Can
central black holes form in the absence of a bulge? And does the mass
function of central black holes extend below 10^6 solar masses?
Intermediate-mass black holes {10^6 solar masses}, if they exist, may
offer important clues to the nature of the seeds of supermassive black
holes. Using the SDSS, our group has successfully uncovered a new
population of AGNs with intermediate-mass black holes that reside in
low-luminosity galaxies. However, very little is known about the
detailed morphologies or structural parameters of the host galaxies
themselves, including the crucial question of whether they have bulges
or not. Surprisingly, the majority of the targets of our Cycle 14
pilot program have structural properties similar to dwarf elliptical
galaxies. The statistics from this initial study, however, are really
too sparse to reach definitive conclusions on this important new class
of black holes. We wish to extend this study to a larger sample, by
using the Snapshot mode to obtain WFPC2 F814W images from a parent
sample of 175 AGNs with intermediate- mass black holes selected from
our final SDSS search. We are particularly keen to determine whether
the hosts contain bulges, and if so, how the fundamental plane
properties of the host depend on the mass of their central black
holes. We will also investigate the environment of this unique class
of AGNs.

ACS/SBC 11110

Searching for Lyman Apha Emission from FUSE Lyman Continuum
Candidates

We have recently been granted time on FUSE to characterize the escape
fraction of hydrogen Lyman continuum (Lyc) photons from a
morphologically diverse set of star forming galaxies. The FUSE program
is designed to provide ~ 5 sigma detections of Lyc photons emitted
from star forming galaxies with escape fractions ~5%. With this
proposal we seek hydrogen Lyman alpha (Lya) observations of a
representative subset of the FUSE program targets to constrain the
observational relationship between Lyc, Lya, and hydrogen Balmer line
emission in these systems. Such observations explore the detailed
balance between the simple optically thin (Case A) and optically thick
(Case B) limits in recombination theory. The ultimate goal of this
program is to quantify the relationship between escaping Lya and Lyc
emission and the first structures that form in the early universe.

WFPC2 11103

A Snapshot Survey of The Most Massive Clusters of Galaxies

We propose the continuation of our highly successful SNAPshot survey
of a sample of 125 very X-ray luminous clusters in the redshift range
0.3-0.7. As demonstrated by the 25 snapshots obtained so far in
Cycle14 and Cycle15 these systems frequently exhibit strong
gravitational lensing as well as spectacular examples of violent
galaxy interactions. The proposed observations will provide important
constraints on the cluster mass distributions, the physical nature of
galaxy-galaxy and galaxy-gas interactions in cluster cores, and a set
of optically bright, lensed galaxies for further 8-10m spectroscopy.
All of our primary science goals require only the detection and
characterization of high-surface-brightness features and are thus
achievable even at the reduced sensitivity of WFPC2. Because of their
high redshift and thus compact angular scale our target clusters are
less adversely affected by the smaller field of view of WFPC2 than
more nearby systems. Acknowledging the broad community interest in
this sample we waive our data rights for these observations. Due to a
clerical error at STScI our approved Cycle15 SNAP program was barred
from execution for 3 months and only 6 observations have been
performed to date - reinstating this SNAP at Cycle16 priority is of
paramount importance to reach meaningful statistics.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS:

11599 - GSAcq (2,3,2) scheduled @340/13:59z failed due to search
radius limit exceeded on FGS-2

Observations affected: Astrometry Proposal #11943

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

************************ SCHEDULED***** SUCCESSFUL

OBAD with Maneuver ***** 64***************** 64

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily Report # 4429 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 August 20th 07 02:51 PM
Daily Report #4397 Pataro, Pete Hubble 0 July 5th 07 04:13 PM
Daily Report #4167 Lynn Bassford Hubble 0 August 1st 06 03:29 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM