Need a Moon Base?

Old September 23rd 03, 07:31 PM
Ken S. Tucker

Default Need a Moon Base?

Meteors hitting Sun (KST?)

(C.omments O.pinions W.elcome wholy COW)

I assume meteor strikes are proportional to Area x Mass.
(Area seems obvious, and Mass is proportional to gravity,
so I figure doubling the attractiveness doubles the attraction
which doubles the strikes).

Suns Area is 12100 x Earths, Mass=333,000 x Earth.

Impact(Sun) = 4,000,000,000 x Impact(Earth)

Suppose a really BIG meteor hits Earth every
400,000,000 years then 10 of them strike the
Sun every year, say once a month.

If we could observe these, we could learn more about
the local interstellar debris, and the risk to Earth.
Could radar work?

Perhaps these are responsible for Sun spots, like Jupiters
red spot might be caused by a large sinking asteroid,
comet, or sucked in satellite.

A large iron meteor cluster sinking into the Sun would
concentrate magnetic force, associated with sun spots.
The spot would fade as the cluster melted, something
sun spots do.

It is theorized that the radiant output of the Sun
increases as the number of sun spots increases,
which in turn affects long term climatology on
Earth.

Our current cycle of 11 years is recent. A few
hundred years ago there were no spots. We may
be passing threw ribbons of interstellar debris
gravitationally organizing much as galactic arms
do except on a smaller scale, accounting for
the current periodicity.

Therefore, knowing the debris field the Solar System
is headed toward will help forecast climatology.

So, we should attempt to radar our immediate
inter-stellar vicinity, particularily in the direction of
travel within the galaxy.

The far side of the moon is an ideal location for
a large Arecibo type receiver set in a crater.
It's very quiet there radio wise, ie no cell phones.

The transmitter would be a nuclear electro magetic
pulse detonation, exploded a few thousand miles
away from the receiver, once a month or so.

The detonations output signature would be measured
and returning reflections would be sorted by the
receivers spectrum analyzer.

The receiver would always be on, doing useful
measurements between detonations.

The detonations would also be useful to survey
the lunar interior, perhaps using sonics, gamma
rays and so forth.

Of course numerous receivers can be constructed,
to improve the baseline resolution.

We'll need to establish a regular ferry system to the
moon for crew rotation, deliver fresh women etc.
and this effort should be international as it benefits
everybody to be born in the future.

A precedent to this effort are weather satellites.

Regards
Ken S. Tucker
PS: Operation Tree Fort.
Old September 25th 03, 07:31 PM
Sander Vesik

Ken S. Tucker wrote:
Meteors hitting Sun (KST?)

(C.omments O.pinions W.elcome wholy COW)

I assume meteor strikes are proportional to Area x Mass.
(Area seems obvious, and Mass is proportional to gravity,
so I figure doubling the attractiveness doubles the attraction
which doubles the strikes).

Unlikely.

Suns Area is 12100 x Earths, Mass=333,000 x Earth.

Impact(Sun) = 4,000,000,000 x Impact(Earth)

Suppose a really BIG meteor hits Earth every
400,000,000 years then 10 of them strike the
Sun every year, say once a month.

If we could observe these, we could learn more about
the local interstellar debris, and the risk to Earth.
Could radar work?

You would first need to determine that the threat to Earth
from interstellar debris is at least comparable to that of
local debris orbiting the Sun.

[snip]

Our current cycle of 11 years is recent. A few
hundred years ago there were no spots. We may
be passing threw ribbons of interstellar debris
gravitationally organizing much as galactic arms
do except on a smaller scale, accounting for
the current periodicity.

The first 11 year cycle was recorded in 1700s. It has
been around for a very long time - this is clearly
established from several different indicators (tree
growth rings, plankton, etc).

Therefore, knowing the debris field the Solar System
is headed toward will help forecast climatology.

No.

Regards
Ken S. Tucker
PS: Operation Tree Fort.