Street Lighting - Council responds

Old March 26th 04, 09:18 AM
CandT

Default Street Lighting - Council responds

This is what I had back - bugger !

RESPONSE
Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding street light at rear of your
property. Unfortunately I am unable to exceed to your request, the lamp in
question is designed to comply to BS.5489 standards which is specifically
designed to illuminate the highway. The type of lamp is high pressure
sodium (son) which affords less light pollution than the low pressure sodium
(sox) type of lantern, if the light source was shielded it would not comply
to the BS standards.
/RESPONSE

CandT
Old March 26th 04, 09:52 AM
Malcolm Stewart

"CandT" wrote in message
This is what I had back - bugger !

RESPONSE
The type of lamp is high pressure
sodium (son) which affords less light pollution than the low pressure sodium
(sox) type of lantern, if the light source was shielded it would not comply
to the BS standards.
/RESPONSE

I thought high pressure sodium was a wide spectrum source. Low pressure sodium
is more or less limited to the pair of "D" lines.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old March 26th 04, 10:40 AM
CandT

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:52:15 -0000, "Malcolm Stewart"
wrote:

"CandT" wrote in message
.. .
This is what I had back - bugger !

RESPONSE
The type of lamp is high pressure
sodium (son) which affords less light pollution than the low pressure sodium
(sox) type of lantern, if the light source was shielded it would not comply
to the BS standards.
/RESPONSE

I thought high pressure sodium was a wide spectrum source. Low pressure sodium
is more or less limited to the pair of "D" lines.

Yep - having done a bit of reading - thats what I found too - so here's my reply
:

REPLY
Thanks for the reply, but having read around the subject, I am not sure that
high pressure sodium offers less polution. Low pressure sodium is monochromatic,
so the light emissions are in specific bands, which can then be filtered out
quite successfully. High pressure sodium, from what I understand, has a much
wider spectrum, so will bypass filtering attempts.

I was hoping for shielding to just be applied to obscure the light into my rear
garden, which is the OTHER side of the highway from the lamp. It should be
possible to place a shield which will in no way reduce illumination onto the
road below, but would cut out a large amount of light into the garden.

Kind regards,

/REPLY

CandT
Old March 26th 04, 11:49 AM
DT

In message , CandT
writes
This is what I had back - bugger !

RESPONSE
Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding street light at rear of your
property. Unfortunately I am unable to exceed to your request, the lamp in
question is designed to comply to BS.5489 standards which is specifically
designed to illuminate the highway. The type of lamp is high pressure
sodium (son) which affords less light pollution than the low pressure sodium
(sox) type of lantern, if the light source was shielded it would not comply
to the BS standards.
/RESPONSE

CandT

This sounds like the standard brush-off, but the secret of success is
patience.
You may like to reply to them that, as Bs.5489 costs 544 pounds, it is
unreasonable to expect you to have a copy to read. However as they
obviously have a copy themselves, could you view it at their offices, as
you (I) don't believe it defines restrictions to shielding.

Also it may pay them to consider their position with regard to light
pollution, in view of the increased press coverage and government
interest that the subject is currently enjoying.

I don't wish to put words in anyones mouth, put I've found that
something along the above lines got a more considered and helpful
response.
;-)

Denis
--
DT
Replace nospam with the antithesis of hills
Old March 26th 04, 11:59 AM
Dave

I was hoping for shielding to just be applied to obscure the light
into my rear garden, which is the OTHER side of the highway from the
lamp. It should be possible to place a shield which will in no way
reduce illumination onto the road below, but would cut out a large
amount of light into the garden.

In the past, there have been quite a few suggestions on some of the
newsgroups that it is possible to get streetlights shielded by the local
autorities. On reflection, I think most of these have been in the USA. Has
anyone had success in getting their local council in the UK to shield
streetlighting?

DaveL

Old March 26th 04, 02:07 PM
Albert

CandT wrote:
This is what I had back - bugger !

RESPONSE
Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding street light at rear of
your property. Unfortunately I am unable to exceed to your request,
the lamp in question is designed to comply to BS.5489 standards which
is specifically designed to illuminate the highway. The type of lamp
is high pressure sodium (son) which affords less light pollution than
the low pressure sodium (sox) type of lantern, if the light source
was shielded it would not comply to the BS standards.
/RESPONSE

CandT

psss ... air rifle

goes back to lurk mode

Albert

Old March 26th 04, 02:10 PM
CandT

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:18:39 GMT, CandT wrote:

This is what I had back - bugger !

RESPONSE
Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding street light at rear of your
property. Unfortunately I am unable to exceed to your request, the lamp in
question is designed to comply to BS.5489 standards which is specifically
designed to illuminate the highway. The type of lamp is high pressure
sodium (son) which affords less light pollution than the low pressure sodium
(sox) type of lantern, if the light source was shielded it would not comply
to the BS standards.
/RESPONSE

CandT

I was going to send them a diagram of the way it is laid out at the back of my
house - but I've found that the government has done it for me !!!!

http://www.parliament.the-stationery...ch/747/747.pdf

Page 22 has my EXACT situation !!

Basically - the lamp post is on the far left, the 'Area to be Lit' is the road,
and my back garden is indicated by the 'light trespass' bit - even my rear wall
is shown !!

I think I might forward this link on to the council too

CandT
Old March 26th 04, 04:54 PM
Maurice Gavin

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:18:39 GMT, CandT
wrote:

RESPONSE
The type of lamp is high pressure sodium (son) which affords less light pollution than the low pressure sodium
(sox) type of lantern,

Their definition of light pollution does not refer to wavelength of
light emitted [whether convenience for astronomers to filter or not]
but to the spead of light [above the horizontal?] from the SON fitting
which I assume is more directionally controllable.

See my webpage for SOX/SON spectrum
http://home.freeuk.com/m.gavin/grism2.htm
There's no satisfactory SON filter;-(

Old March 26th 04, 06:15 PM
Stephen Tonkin

Dave wrote:
Has anyone had success in getting their local council in the UK to
shield streetlighting?

Yes. (when I lived in East Dorset District Council -- but then, that is
the local council of Bob Mizon as well)

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old March 26th 04, 07:00 PM
CLT

I was going to send them a diagram of the way it is laid out at the back
of my
house - but I've found that the government has done it for me !!!!

http://www.parliament.the-stationery...ch/747/747.pdf

Page 22 has my EXACT situation !!

Basically - the lamp post is on the far left, the 'Area to be Lit' is the

road,
and my back garden is indicated by the 'light trespass' bit - even my rear

wall
is shown !!

Hung by their own words (or diagrams). I'd print it out, and highlight the
words "Light Trespass" and ask them to quit trespassing!

Good luck and let us know how it is going.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group