NASA begins moon return effort

Old August 12th 04, 05:00 PM
Eric Chomko

Default NASA begins moon return effort

ed kyle ) wrote:
: "Perplexed in Peoria" wrote in message om...
: "ed kyle" wrote in message om...
: "curlyQlink" wrote in message ink.net...
: A truly looney idea.
:
: There was only one reason for the Apollo mission: to beat the Russians.
: Well, we beat 'em already.
:
:
: That was the reason then. There could be new reasons to go
: the the Moon in the forseeable future (to beat China, for
: example). But I don't see the U.S. going anywhere in space
: as long as the current multi-hundred-billion-dollar-war/
: terrorism footing exists. ...
:
: Yes, things were much quieter in the US during the mid to late
: 1960s.
:
: NOT!!!!

: Despite the fact that the U.S. had a much more powerful economy
: in the 1960s than it does now relative to the rest of the world
: (it actually exported more than it imported at the time) the
: Vietnam financial drain forced the cancellation of much of
: NASA's planned Apollo program. NASA had to cancel Saturn
: production in 1968, even before Apollo 7 was launched. The
: great dearth of NASA projects during the 1970s was a direct
: result of Vietnam.

: The U.S. is a much weaker nation now than it was then, both
: economically and, in many ways, military. I believe that
: the massive costs of the current war, combined with the
: $1.5 billion per day trade deficit that steadily drains wealth
: and power out of the country, will prevent NASA from growing
: its budget enough to launch a new Moon program for the
: foreseeable future.

Good analysis, but you are assuming that the new moon lunar project will
cost the same relatively as the previous one. I believe that the goal to

Eric

: - Ed Kyle
Old August 12th 04, 05:09 PM
Alan Erskine

"Eric Chomko" wrote in message

Good analysis, but you are assuming that the new moon lunar project will
cost the same relatively as the previous one. I believe that the goal to

It can be done for a _lot_ less today - 200 billion in today's money for
Apollo, but if existing system are used (or modified where needed), it can
be done for 25 billion and in five years.

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Old August 13th 04, 03:37 PM
Eric Chomko

Alan Erskine ) wrote:
: "Eric Chomko" wrote in message
: ...

: Good analysis, but you are assuming that the new moon lunar project will
: cost the same relatively as the previous one. I believe that the goal to

: It can be done for a _lot_ less today - 200 billion in today's money for
: Apollo, but if existing system are used (or modified where needed), it can
: be done for 25 billion and in five years.

So now we have to decide what to do with ISS and the shuttle as those two
take up a lot of the needed $5 billion a year.

The biggest issue is which centers do what work on the return to the moon
project. Dividing up the work equally will not satisfy everyone.

Eric

: --

Old August 13th 04, 10:39 PM
Ool

"John Savard" wrote in message ...

One good thing about the policy of many oil-rich Middle Eastern countries of
keeping the oil money for the extravagant lifestyles of princes, instead of
spreading it out about the common people is this: in general, when people have
more money, they are more likely to get married and have children. Since either
the oil will run out, or before that happens, we will achieve energy
independence, at least we can be serenely confident that this won't result in
mass starvation across a suddenly overpopulated Middle East. Foresight is easy
when it coincides with self-interest.

Erm, the population of Saudi Arabia has more than *doubled* since
1980 while average income has dropped from $22,000 to $3,000! That's
why they started getting disgruntled and took up hobbies like flying
airplanes into buildings and stuff...

http://www.library.uu.nl/wesp/populs...a/saudiarc.htm

--
__ “A good leader knows when it’s best to ignore the __
('__` screams for help and focus on the bigger picture.” '__`)